• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking at a lathe.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I rent a single garage (no heat) for 100 per month. Some of the guys here have rented a double with heat. |Most storage places have restricted access and no available power, and other restrictions. You might get a private garage for less than double the price with power included,

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think many of us have been in your position (money, space....mostly lack thereof LOL). The other thing for you to be aware of is tooling. The lathe purchase is one chunk, but your intended work will dictate some other necessary hardware. These purchases can be spread out over time but still add up. And to a certain degree, this can be lathe specific. Spend some 'catalog time' spot checking how much chucks cost (3-jaw, 4-jaw, collet) & vs. maybe comes packaged with the lathe. They can be anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to much more. The lathe you are looking at may be a screw on spindle or specific back plate adapter. Nothing wrong with that, but you may or may not be able to utilize that stuff if you upgrade one day.

Next is toolpost & cutting tools. Again, nothing wrong with old school lantern or tool blocks, but some old school HSS shanks are actually hard to get and/or more money (like the lathe in your picture). You will be grinding bits (need a grinder) & just bit more fiddly to set up. The reality is there is SO much Asian insert tooling out there now at very reasonable prices, its actually more cost effective IMO. Again, do some internet research to see what guys are running on a specific machine of interest. The tailpost comes into play with whatever MT taper & therefore arbor/chuck size, but not a biggy.

If medium/small/lightweight lathe is just what you have to do, then so be it. back in the 60's & 70's when Myfords were all the rage in England & maybe similar sized Emco's in Germanic countries, hobbyists made incredible works of art because they were resourceful & found a way. The problem is, that era is gone. Even the guys that own the machines have given up on parts because donor machines are clapped out & replacement parts are unobtanium to expensive. The 'new norm' is Asian machines. Unfortunately the quality varies so you have to evaluate carefully. Look carefully into threading & speed changing capability. This is #1 & #2 source of buyers regret, but it all depends on what kind of work. If you haven't visited Stefans YouTube channel already do so. he has done some upgrades over the years but has also done some nice work in stock mode on a lathe this size. http://gtwr.de/shop/pro_mykrodreh/index.html

I would also venture an opinion that milling attachments (on lathes) are do-able but are a PITA, moreso on small lathes. You are better off getting a tabletop mini mill. (I know, more money). If you're patient, used deals come along. Someone has likely bought the exact same package you are considering but when the dust settles, probably selling for 60 cents on the dollar if it hasn't been abused. The more that comes packaged, the less you have to spend. Also be aware of 'apartment machining'. A buddy of mine experienced some (essentially eviction) issues with the vibration transmitting through the floors & lights dimming on start & background humming noise etc.

Hope this helps

Murdoch

Well Peter that was a mouthful.
I appreciate your help with this. I live in an apartment with a garage underneath. Yes I've already inquired about the garage. I was told that it was a fire hazard. Yes molten lathe metal lol.
But seriously though I will take in all this valued information that everyone has given me and will apply it to my impending purchase. I will take a look at the YouTube video's also.
Thanks guys...

Johnwa

Ultra Member
That looks like a 10” atlas. It’s way bigger than the 618. http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/
As long as the spindle bearings aren’t worn out, old lathes like that can work to 0.001”. Bed wear isn’t a problem unless you’re turning something long and slender.

I have a 9” Southbend which I assume is quite similar. I picked up a 10x20 once as a possible replacement. It was like a wet noodle compared to the Southbend.

That lathe would lgo upwards of $1000 here in Calgary, mainly because there aren’t that many hobby sized lathes around here. Your profile indicates you’re from Toronto so price and availability is likely different.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I dont mind gear swaps myself, i looked very seriously at this lathe here in calgary at busy bee, it was the runner up, i went bigger only because i got tax money back at the right time. Its a good size but i cannot remember if an alternative motor could be fitted later for more power, its a thing you may want to look at.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Janger is spot on. One axis feeds only, and swapping gears sucks.

Yeah, that is my exact lathe, little newer it look though. I'm super happy with mine, but it has it's limitations.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
On one hand when I was in Toronto getting machinery was not an issue. On the other hand getting a place to put it was.

For the old lathe $600 would be super cheap in Calgary and it would be gone within days. This is within the price range of a slightly used 7x12 mini lathe. Also look at all the extra tooling you are getting. Yes its not a "super" lathe etc. etc. and you will out grow it if you do more work etc. etc. BUT for $600??? Also once you out grow it if you happen to paint it in the mean time you probably would have no issues selling it back for $600 without any tools... or bring it to Alberta and off load it for $1000.

Regarding the Craftex the price of $600 is also very good. Capabilities wise its a step up from mini-lathe of the 7x12 / 7x14 range. Unless badly worn or abused you should be easily able to sell it back for $600. Heck, in Alberta probably over $1000. I had its bigger brother and it had low capabilities. I would personally look for a general purpose lathe as Alex suggested in 12x30 range something a bit more "heavy duty" than Craftex - maybe even 14x40 range.

But that all depends on what you want to do - for just starting out and playing the old one or newer Craftex for just $600 look perfect!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Hmm, here is a video about it:

Its an old lathe similar in capabilities to say mini lathe from China - aka 7x12.

If all you need is *mini lathe* and the one above is in *excellent* condition $400 is not bad. I bet through unless you only do model work you quickly outgrow a mini lathe and this is not in *excellent* condition. Thus, if its in say "good" condition I would ask for a motor or discount it at least $50 for a motor.

You can get a mini lathe new at say princess auto for around $800 on sale. Its new. With motor.

Remember above lathe is very old. Its most likely a restoration project. You could "score" a motor for it for cheap but you need to look around.

http://users.frii.com/katana/618.html

I probably would stay away from 1930s as I have a feeling you are not looking for restoration project.

As usual intended use is they key.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
soooo if your budget limits you to a 400 dollar lathe, then it is a good start. in the used market you can get a much more permanent lathe in the 1000$ range. Remember to account for several hundred dollars for tooling to start no matte what lathe you buy.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The best bargain is a machine that will do most all you want to - without selling and buying anther one; I bought a 12X 36 as my first lathe, and after 38 years, am finally considering upgrading it. The size and its capabilities are fine. I really want to upgrade to modern features. These are preferences and time savers only. ALINCOCHRANE has an identical machine to mine and he is fine with it, and has had it over 30 years.

FWIW the original lathe was 2000$ new and i initially put over 250$ in tooling and nearly 2000$ in tooling since then..*7-- I still want to add one more chuck to it for about $700... it never ends!