• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking at a lathe.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I was quite happy with my 7x12 and would only have upgraded the motor if it was as convenient to do as this model would be. I see tools laid out presumably included,? Id have jumped on it, given the choice between my new 7x12 or this one for much less than half price. But by jump on it i mean to rush out and quickly inspect. Looking for; stiff movements, "clicky" bearings, and lubrication.

Murdoch

That was a great vjdeo Screenshot_20180524-064308.jpg
I found this not far from me. $450.00. If all checks out, I'll be getting it. I understand that most of you say get the bigger machine. I totally get that and understand the concept of out growing a tool. But given the space available to me right now, this is the right fit I hope lol. If my living situation changes then an upgrade can be made at that time. I'll keep you posted...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
It’s the first lathe. Not the last! One guy on the forum has 12 lathes at last count I think. I’m sure you will enjoy it. On you tube watch toms machining and tubalcain videos to get started.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Once you do a lot of work on it, you will know if t is all you need, or f you need more. It looks like a bargain, and worth it.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I see it is like new, the shipping grease is still all over it. Umm The center is worn flat! So perhaps not!?look into the wear on the gears, and drive belt (remove side panel to see). should have a steady with it as well. And i see (washers?) to support the tool post? Beat him down in price a bit but do it while holding $350 cash in hand

Murdoch

I see it is like new, the shipping grease is still all over it. Umm The center is worn flat! So perhaps not!?look into the wear on the gears, and drive belt (remove side panel to see). should have a steady with it as well. And i see (washers?) to support the tool post? Beat him down in price a bit but do it while holding $350 cash in hand
That's a great eye you got there. Thanks for this

Murdoch

Screenshot_20180528-055909.jpg
I found this just now for $1700. Too rich for my blood.
I tried to look up the retail price of this to confirm the sellers price, funny thing I can't find one.
A nice looking machine, just out of my range. DAMIT

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Given that this machine is around $100 CAD more than new (including shipping) http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-16-Variable-Speed-Lathe/G0768 I think its a pass unless maybe it comes with a lot of tooling. Mind you these things do go on sale on Grizzly site.

If without too much extra tooling in like new condition I think $1200 would be a good price on an ad for it. Its few hundred $ less than new price.

Besides this is in Ontario - I sold my like new lathe for few hundred less than new with some tooling in Alberta. In Ontario used prices are far more suppressed for machinery.

Yeah, seller should be happy with $1200 in Ontario -> this should be starting price on the ad from which people could give lower offers. Otherwise he / she can keep it or wait for someone that doesn't know their stuff.

If you like it and $1000 is in your budget you can offer that.... unless extra tooling is amazing that is a fair price.

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I looked thru kijiji and found this ad, he has a whole set for the QCTP including knurler, machine looks clean, has all the steadys with virtually no wear apparent, my 7x12 did not come with a 4 jaw or follow rest or a pair of centers to center the tailstock, if it is dialed in as claimed and really ready to go you save a lot of monkey time. Price is high though, his view is like new, better than out of the box, super pricey tool holders added (i counted 8 including boaring bar, knurler and parting) he priced high to get beaten down to fair, not fair to get beaten down to total loss. ask questions like what he used it for, why selling, ask about other tooling, ask about a lower price, bacically try to figure the guy for a know nothing or knowledgable individual, the later is the seller you want to buy from. 1200 i think is good but i just sold my 7x12 to someone whos son has the same machine and wanted the same, (mine set up diffrently) here in calgary for list price, accesories included. Whats a QCTP of this calaber worth? $1000 on its own all tallied? You stand a better chance talking him down in price (situation, budget, small talk) than low balling his price off the hop.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, the lathe comes in in a box with extra chuck, face plate etc. So its not extra tooling.

QCTP unless its Aloris or similar with AXA size and 8 holders is max $200 - that is new price.

I sold my lathe 2 years old like new with QCTP and some tooling with 10 tool holders for $400 under sticker price in Calgary. Maybe I should have waited for someone to pay more.

That $400 for above lathe works out to be $1200.

I sold my mini-mill for sticker price but the price at Busy Bee was already $150 more than what I paid for it and I included extra tooling as well.