• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking at a lathe.

Murdoch

IMG_20180426_212701579.jpg
So I found this for $600.00 , everything you see is included. Any thoughts guys, I want to get it...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'd buy it just to look at it, but I like old machinery

I wouldn't buy it as my primary machine with dreams of turning out precision parts day one though, older machines take time to setup and true-in and this can require new parts, scraping etc

At 600 bucks, as i said, that would be on my workbench being admired

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murdoch

Well my intent is to use it. That being said, I have no experience in this area. We have the big 12' grinding and polishing lathes at work here, but I haven't defected from electroplating yet lol.
I'm told that it runs well and can get a demo before the purchase. It also comes with a bunch of tooling and a 3, 4 jaw Chuck. The seller is up in years and finds he is no longer able to use it.
He says it's an Atlas but doesn't know if it's a 618.
I thought for a first lathe for a noob like myself that this was a good buy.
Is it too much trouble for a first lathe?

Murdoch

Hey Kevin, not trying to be a smart ass but I have to ask.
Isn't having a lathe for the purpose of turning out precision parts.
I am building an exoskeletal armour and having a lathe would help me in a big way.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Ill give some context -- it comes down to expectations

I spent 10 years making the gingery lathe, and learned a lot about casting, scraping, mild making etc, to realize that the lathe was 'lite' for my Intentions

I then bought a vintage Von wyck circa 1903 ( 16 x 50) . Gorgeous to look at, but 115 years of wear have left its mark on it. Still very much salvageable but I need a better machine to produce some of the parts that need higher tolerances etc

So I recently bought a new 14x40 and am in lathe heaven. Best of all worlds!

The older latkes also come with limitations such as max spindle speed etc which will determine your tooling choices

I've since also bought a Sebastian lathe circus 1908 for the same reason I'd buy the one you're looking at -- because I love old equipment

There are those that would not buy it and advocate for saving money for the ultimate one time purchase, some would scoff at manual lathes in favour of cnc, some would say 'American only'

I say buy it! And plan where the next one will go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murdoch

Well crap I was hoping to liquidate some watches and the buyer backed out.
I had to call my guy and back out as well. I now that this will haunt me. DAMIT!!!

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Vintage machines like this are not very good. The newer machines are much easier to use. Most of them are more powerful and more ridgid. That being said $600 might only get you a used 7x12 lathe. If your looking to get into metal turning you will want something bigger pretty quickly. Small 10x20 machines can be found for about $2000 and they are god for small parts.

Murdoch

It would seem that somebof you feel that the older equipment is obsolete.
So for future reference, what would you recommend?
Now bare in mind I am only looking for a small metal hobby lathe.
Approx 7×12

kylemp

Don't go for the 7 x 12 unless you really don't have expectations of turning anything quickly or to any decent tolerance. I'd think a minimum 10x20 or 12x36 for a newer machine would be decent. They're still not massively powerful or sturdy but if your patient you can produce good results. In my experience the heavier the machine the better the accuracy and general power but there's a point where it's not reasonable for someone to own one at home.
If I had to go in order of options I'd say quick change gearbox would be 1, gear head 2, camlock spindle 3. You'll get sick of change gears fast.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
7x12 is fine but you need to spend A LOT of time to set it right, mine was great had it for 3 years, if you look at one pm me ill help you out, i got a 13x24 now and after a month or so im still setting the gib's after increasingly heavy cuts seem to settle things out. i started out not wanting to save for 5 years to get started, by taking the risk and going for what i could afford first, It was worth the gamble, I got hooked! not everyone can afford things of the latest and greatest variety as some others seem to, if you can great! If not start small and build the skills in an inexpensive and size Conscious way, you can always sell and upgrade. In the mean time you develop skills that tranfer to all machines anyway .... and patients, lots of that

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Kyle is on the right track. I bought a nice used 12x40 for about 2k$ and 3 years later when it was time to upgrade i sold it for 2k in about one day. It didn't cost me a dime because the right machine will always be in demand. The vintage machines are cool but maching is hard enough with a good machine.

Murdoch

These are really great points guys and I appreciate this.
I guess that I need to be more specific. But first a question for you.
If I buy a machine that I am happy with, now keep in mind when I buy I won't be buying for the right now. But I would expect to be buying for the right now and after. Then why would I need to upgrade?
Now the specifics: I am building an exoskeletal armour made of steel, aluminum and titanium. I am going to cast, form and machine for this. I live in a small apartment with limited space. I have found that now I have to get a storage locker for my tools lol. Welders, casting furnace, jewelry tools and metal.
So suggesting a 7×12 was just a guess bases off what I see from kijiji. I need something that is 110v, 4' overall length, a bench top to be on the mark. If at all I can upgrade later with a milling attachment that would be just great also. My apartment is just over 700sqr ft shared with my wife and daughter. Yep it's small.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I see both sides of this. As I said before, a 600 lathe that is still working won't be worth less than 600 if you keep it maintained. The wisest notion is to buy as big as you can afford,or even bigger,but you can't put a a 16" lathe in an apartment.

A recent experience: my wife and I were looking for a piano upgrade. We looked at pianos over a wide range of prices, including quite expensive ones. Many of them were concert quality and very touchy. Th last place we went, she was playing this very modestly priced offbrand piano that I had to extract her to go home. Of course we bought it. Moral? buy the lathe that you will use. This includes all your circumstances.

Consider renting a heated garage instead of a storage locker. There's a lot more flexibility and a lot of experience here in the forum on renting garages for machining, etc. (And you have room for a bigger lathe)

Murdoch

I see both sides of this. As I said before, a 600 lathe that is still working won't be worth less than 600 if you keep it maintained. The wisest notion is to buy as big as you can afford,or even bigger,but you can't put a a 16" lathe in an apartment.

A recent experience: my wife and I were looking for a piano upgrade. We looked at pianos over a wide range of prices, including quite expensive ones. Many of them were concert quality and very touchy. Th last place we went, she was playing this very modestly priced offbrand piano that I had to extract her to go home. Of course we bought it. Moral? buy the lathe that you will use. This includes all your circumstances.

Consider renting a heated garage instead of a storage locker. There's a lot more flexibility and a lot of experience here in the forum on renting garages for machining, etc. (And you have room for a bigger lathe)
Renting a garage? What do I even look for?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Is there a maker space in your area @Murdoch ? with a lathe? That might be a lot more affordable for now and you could get experience with the tools. Some practice and experience with the lathes will make you far more informed about what you actually need and want. They usually have some orientation or light training to get you going too...

Murdoch

A storage locker is $150.00
Maker spaces in Toronto is double at least but I'm going to look into that option. Thanks Janger