• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Lets see those basement workbenches

Shop

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
so damn true... he can die of exposure on the walk back to the house in winter.
Spring is coming. We got crushed with a blizzard last weekend.
These are 6 foot fences and the snow is packed hard enough to drive on.
PXL_20230311_235203481.jpg
This is the front door
PXL_20230311_235207319.jpg
When the kennel was open I would rent a backhoe to pull the snow out of the kennels if it blew in this hard. Usually we would do it all by hand. 15 ft by 145 ft on both sides of the building. So glad we retired.
Plus 4 today and minus 27 tonight.
Like I said, Spring.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'll get the ugly one out of the way so nobody feels embarrassed to show theirs. :D
4KIlaqyl.jpg

It doesn't always looks this bad, but it has for a while (too long). Too many projects have gone to die here over the past few months, and with so much other stuff going on, it hasn't been a priority until now. Jangers post about soldering irons lit the flame again to get back on some electrical projects.

This is ground zero for a lot of household repairs, electrical tinkering, and my fishing lure production/painting, which I haven't done in a while. 3d printers live here too, although my little kingroon is up in the kitchen right now because it was easier to keep an eye on up there.

Nice rainy day project today has been to clean up some of the basement clutter today, and start excavating the workbench. You should have seen it BEFORE I took the picture. It's funny, while zooming around the picture on my phone I spotted my test light I was looking for a few months ago lol. See if anybody else can find it, Wheres waldo.

Lets see yours. Don't be shy, it can't get worse than mine, and I know you all have one.
Looks like a place where things happen!

Last edited by a moderator:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Spring is coming. We got crushed with a blizzard last weekend.
These are 6 foot fences and the snow is packed hard enough to drive on.
View attachment 32417
This is the front door
View attachment 32418
When the kennel was open I would rent a backhoe to pull the snow out of the kennels if it blew in this hard. Usually we would do it all by hand. 15 ft by 145 ft on both sides of the building. So glad we retired.
Plus 4 today and minus 27 tonight.
Like I said, Spring.
have the roads become gumbo in the day only to freeze with fresh ruts in at night yet?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not a basement, but relevant. I suffer from HSD. Horizontal surface disease.

I'm working on finding places for everything, and getting rid of stuff though. But it takes time.

Attachments

• 20230317_204835.jpg
    20230317_204835.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230317_204847.jpg
    20230317_204847.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230317_204856.jpg
    20230317_204856.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230317_204902.jpg
    20230317_204902.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230317_204906.jpg
    20230317_204906.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230317_204920.jpg
    20230317_204920.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230317_204953.jpg
    20230317_204953.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 38

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not a basement, but relevant. I suffer from HSD. Horizontal surface disease.

I'm working on finding places for everything, and getting rid of stuff though. But it takes time.

What make and model/size is the shaper I see in your pics?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As in every flat surface needs lots and lots of stuff on it?
I was listening to a podcast the other day and one of the hosts talked about "the potential of an empty table"
I can relate. When my flat surfaces fill up I find it easier to just build more tables.
I really like these https://jayscustomcreations.com/2016/09/shop-table-from-1-sheet-of-plywood/.
Throw some wheels on them and you're set
Yessir. I'm doing the opposite. I'm getting rid of exposed horizontal surfaces that collect junk. That brings a problem though. That stuff ends up on the nearest HS, and so on.

I purposely posted my messy one to lure you guys into doing the same, and you're going to hang me out to dry like that?. lol I see how it is....:D

I'm hoping to see a bunch of messy, "lived in" ones, and a few spotless ones littered with perfect organization and a bunch of electronic test equipment that I have no idea what it does.

I've been meaning to move mine to the utility room for 2 years now, but haven't got around to it. It's a bit of a big job and grand plans never get done around here, but small ones, little by little, are much easier to accomplish.

Everybody loves to show off the spotless shops and workbenches but you shouldn't be ashamed of the messy working ones. What's that saying? "Messy loves company" or something like that.....;)
16791026331868897860369825086095.jpg

Dang, that is the best mine has looked in ages, stroke of pure luck that.....

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Yessir. I'm doing the opposite. I'm getting rid of exposed horizontal surfaces that collect junk. That brings a problem though. That stuff ends up on the nearest HS, and so on.
One of my buddies bought a full set of these at a Sasksurplus auction for like a hundred bucks back when everybody thought computers would mean a paperless office.:D
Best thing ever. Couldn't be more jealous.

Nice spot! I like those steel cabinets. I've been keeping a eye out for a set like that for the garage for a few months/year now. Nice shallow ones for behind my entry door. No luck. Found a few similar ones, but they were all too deep.
That cabinet came from princess auto..... I think I saw it in the flyer the other day..... They seem to have gone up in price since then....

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Speaking of cabinets, they help with HSD.

I built mine out of a bunch of 36x18 steel shelf panels from a local surplus dealer. I have about 40' of cabinets that cost about 250 bucks if i recall

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Cabinets, shelves, drawers. A place to put stuff, so that it has a home. All things that have helped clean up and organize my shop over the past year to the point where I can now go out and complete those "5 minute" projects (instead of stacking them on the workbench) because they actually only take 5 minutes when you can find stuff and use tools that are ready to go.

As you can see from my basement workbench, I'm not there yet lol. I have too much "stuff" that doesn't have a home down there, so it lives in piles. I'm working on it. Chucked a bunch of stuff, and don't even feel bad about it :D.