Kurt D675 Milling Vise - Fernie BC

Six O Two

(Marco)
I dunno, to me the OP vise looks to be in pretty decent shape for hobbyist use, all things considered. For $300 and a weekend in Fernie, if I lived in Calgary, I think i'd be game to at least have a go at it.
ETA: You could get by with some shop made jaws in the short term too.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Do you guys use a mailbox service when you ship stuff to the border and then drive down and pick it up?
When I was first tooling up 10 years ago or so, I got a bunch of packages shipped to the Montana Shipping Outlet at the Sweetgrass border crossing. This was when I still lived in Calgary and the exchange rate was much more favourable. It's a pretty long roundtrip drive, so I'm not sure the economics of it still make sense with today's gas prices.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The odd time the US sales get really insane. One company I contacted had branches in Canada. I contacted the Vancouver branch, my nearest, and they said they could easily honour the US price. I asked specifically what the CAD$ would be. I had them email me a quote. The shipping from Vancouver doubled the price. This is a supplier I buy from regularly, so no guilt for the next step...

I phoned my sales guy at Thomas Skinner in Calgary and asked if they would match the price (I asked very sheepishly).... He was happy to meet the price plus about 10 dollars. I got a brand new, in stock, tax in, ready for pickup Kurt DX6 for well under 800 dollars.

It was a bit of work, but with effort these things can be arranged. It only makes sense if you watch the US sales for a super deal.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The odd time the US sales get really insane. One company I contacted had branches in Canada. I contacted the Vancouver branch, my nearest, and they said they could easily honour the US price. I asked specifically what the CAD$ would be. I had them email me a quote. The shipping from Vancouver doubled the price. This is a supplier I buy from regularly, so no guilt for the next step...

I phoned my sales guy at Thomas Skinner in Calgary and asked if they would match the price (I asked very sheepishly).... He was happy to meet the price plus about 10 dollars. I got a brand new, in stock, tax in, ready for pickup Kurt DX6 for well under 800 dollars.

It was a bit of work, but with effort these things can be arranged. It only makes sense if you watch the US sales for a super deal.
I’ve done similar in the past, one store an hour away had a summer sale on straps. The local store (that I deal with a lot more), had them regular price and I asked for a price match. I’m not gonna drive 2 hours round trip to save $40 (then or now, but if I was passing by it made sense). It’s up to the store to decide to make the sale, I figure. Worst they say is no.

The local store always tries to save me money on regular purchases so I’m not pushy on it, and never question their prices otherwise.

I think it’s a give and take, part of the customer/supplier relationship

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

This is what I meant when I said you can get it under 850 if you do a little more work, looking around etc.