• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Kurt D675 Milling Vise - Fernie BC

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Could I get some thoughts on this vise? It looks like its got some mileage on it, and it is missing the jaw plates. Do you think $300 is reasonable?

I would suggest it very reasonable. New jaws will run you about 80-90, for less than 400 or about 1/2 price for a new KURT price.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup jaws are $45USD each so $100USD for two plus shipping. Works out to $125 USD or about $170 CDN to Victoria.
Might not be a bad deal at around $500 CDN all in.
Need a big mill to put it on though.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lets not get too excited here, jaws are not cheap, especially original ones and for someone local the actual price is closer to 470 CAD. Vise is not full opening, its a bit smaller version. It looks like it has seen a LOT of use - it may need to have some time on a surface grinder to bring it up to specs.

A brand new kurt but with 9 in opening, latest version, will set you back about 850 or so. Maybe a bit less if you really look around. Maybe touch more.

At auctions you can fairly easily get Kurts with all jaws already in, in a better or at least similar condition for 300 - 400 CAD.

So this price is just "OK".

It would be exciting if it had the jaws. But without them, unless you machine your own set of soft jaws or something similar its just OK price.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice Vise and a good size for knee mills etc.
Shipping to Ontario would add a few coin . . .

Assuming they will even do that. The price seems reasonable (but no great deal) for a BC member who can go see it before buying to make sure it isn't clapped. Gotta wonder why the Jaws are missing.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Assuming they will even do that. The price seems reasonable (but no great deal) for a BC member who can go see it before buying to make sure it isn't clapped. Gotta wonder why the Jaws are missing.

They could have used it with soft jaws. Or who knows - could be auction lot thing. I have one vise that has over sized shop made jaws that are 8" in 6" vise and are like 1" thick and a bit taller as well.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They could have used it with soft jaws. Or who knows - could be auction lot thing. I have one vise that has over sized shop made jaws that are 8" in 6" vise and are like 1" thick and a bit taller as well.

I speak horrible English sometimes.

What I was trying to say is that missing jaws add a little additional weight to the possibility that the thing is clapped.

In my mind I wouldn't buy it without being able to inspect and evaluate it myself.

If the vise is in good shape, it might be worth buying new jaws. But if the vise is clapped...... Well,.... it's just clapped.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
You can get factory blemished vises directly from Kurt. I bought one last year for slightly under $800 shipped after exchange. Of course things are more expensive now but still a good place to start looking.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I speak horrible English sometimes.

What I was trying to say is that missing jaws add a little additional weight to the possibility that the thing is clapped.

In my mind I wouldn't buy it without being able to inspect and evaluate it myself.

If the vise is in good shape, it might be worth buying new jaws. But if the vise is clapped...... Well,.... it's just clapped.

Clapped out kurt can be resurfaced. But of course that is work - certainly should effect the price. Unless it is so clapped out that you cannot do even that!

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I'm only seeing a single new 6" Kurt Vise on ebay, and it is $995 + shipping. Probably 20-30 second hand ones in the 4-500$ range plus shipping. Do you guys use a mailbox service when you ship stuff to the border and then drive down and pick it up?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I'm only seeing a single new 6" Kurt Vise on ebay, and it is $995 + shipping. Probably 20-30 second hand ones in the 4-500$ range plus shipping. Do you guys use a mailbox service when you ship stuff to the border and then drive down and pick it up?

You can use forwarder service - i.e. they pick it up for you at the border and do customs and move it to Calgary - for a fee.

Or if you have multiple items you can pick it yourself - heck in the summer you can go with other people for a long weekend to the US, pick up your stuff, claim $800 exemption for all pp and save most / all GST!

You need to search as American on eBay not as Canadian.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I think I would make my own JAWs then heat and quench in Oil.
Use 4130 or similar alloy.