• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

JCDammeyer's 42 projects

Tom O

Ultra Member
Cut a couple pieces of tubing of different length's and fill them with your choice of filler then observe the set up time.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer - on a serious note (must be getting close to my bedtime), my understanding is that most silicon sealants harden when humidity reaches the adhesive. All it takes is an open surface somewhere - even at one end of a tube. Moisture from the air will diffuse through cured silicon to reach uncured silicon which will then cure too. In essence, it's really only a matter of time.

Not all adhesives use moisture as a catalyst. But the principle is the same. They will all cure eventually if the catalyst is there.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Moisture from the air will diffuse through cured silicon to reach uncured silicon which will then cure too.
true. it works best it there is a small thickness put on first, and given 5 minutes to start to catalyze, then another layer, etc. if it isn't skimming over when the next coat is applied the layers bond.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
true. it works best it there is a small thickness put on first, and given 5 minutes to start to catalyze, then another layer, etc. if it isn't skimming over when the next coat is applied the layers bond.
We're talking 3/16" tubing here with a roughly 3mm diameter wire assembly going through. So it would be a thin layer of sealant. I found some exhaust sealant at Cdn Tire. Good to over 500 degrees. $10 or so experiment.

But again it's the issue of getting it inside the tube without air bubbles etc so that it ends up leaking.

I've thought about mixing up epoxy and using my vacuum tank to first remove the bubbles. Then stick the end in the mixture and turn on the vacuum again. Let it suck the fluid up the tube displacing the air. But it would still need an hour to harden.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Bit of an update with some pictures.
After soldering in the T into the copper I found that the hot end of the radiator leaked. As Chris M. loaned me his VEVOR flanging kit I thought I'd take a stab cleaning up what I had obviously done poorly. But his kit doesn't come with 74 degree forming tool.
So I made one.
1718254226596.png

Still couldn't find my soapy sud bottle so I pulled out a clean one and mixed up some more. I think not enough water but now I only have a tiny bubble at that same 74 degree fitting.

Meanwhile I turned a steel plug and used a ferrule to plug up the hot end fitting until I get the probes working. On the cold side the 3D printed plug is still in place and not leaking. On the hot side it actually got hot enough, deformed and blew out. Found it on the floor a bit later back to its original shape.

And on the display front... Still a bit of software to do and a second probe to build but these displays are sweet.
1718254599970.png
Just playing around with the SPI messages to show negative or positive numbers. Here's a scope photo form the logic analyzer part that decodes SPI. First Byte is either A5 for no negative or A3 for just the 1. The 'A' is to put the decimal place where it is and full display intenstity.

1718254690597.png

More as it happens.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Now I have to wait for the 3D printer to do its thing for the bottom. Then do the top. Hopefully everything will fit. Connection to the control board is via DB-9P which will supply power and the SPI signals.
1718322586737.png

Will likely have to change the LM7805 to switching regulator version as this one gets rather warm which isn't good for PLA.

1718322601471.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Looks like my CAD and measuring skills need a bit of updating. Display doesn't quite line up with the holes. And forgot about shrink factor in 3D printing so the PC board mounting holes are off just a tad (0.0625" or so).

1718399428797.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The xIM series unit I'm using this was originally configured as a prototype for a 4 channel DHT-22 RH+Temperature module along with 1 Thermister and a few other I/O. I took that software from 2016 and removed 3 of the DHT-22 definitions and added jumpers to bring out SPI and re-enabled the second thermister.

Forgot how many software changes I'd made to the original xIM code to do that so it took a while to get everything working. Didn't help that my ZBOOK laptop decided to no longer boot the OS either so that's wasted a lot of time and still isn't working.

Anyway. Here we are. Inlet and Outlet Thermister Temperature readings. Now just to cycle periodically through RH+ambient_tempearture and also tank pressure.

Still a few bugs like not showing negative temperature (like my shop would ever get that cold). Mounting everything. Likely 42 things left to do.

1718732256694.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Update on that photo above. Didn't really show the AM2303 sensor module (AKA DHT-22) and the second probe currently connected with clip leads.

DispaySensorsConnected.jpg

Here are the values as sent over CAN bus in CANOpen format and captured by the CANView USB module.
1718739155747.png

Not sure why the thermister temperatures don't match. Something with the RM CAN software scaling is not quite right. More work required there.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The project is meant to test your knowledge, the manual is for troubleshooting.
Actually badly written software. I've selected that the first two bytes in Little Endian Format are a signed number that goes from -32768 to +32767. Because I've selected Int16 the Unit fields at the far right should be changed to read:
"Value 0000 Hex" and "Value FFFF Hex" but even that's misleading.

1718767682130.png

I really need to key in the values like this:
1718767973569.png

Which produces this from the binary hex value 0x00D9 which in decimal is 127.
1718768008917.png

The program is just nice in that it can take CANOpen protocol messages and show engineering units that are in the messages.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
A bit of progress after I found one silly mistake that kept the CDS light sensor cell from reporting it's voltage reading. Once that was done all went well.
It's only a 27 second video and the description on the you tube page describes what is happening.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here's the complete status display via CAN messages.
Now to finish the probes, mount it all somewhere and finish the wiring.

That is the hardest part of this project.

1718997000596.png