• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop If I had a million+ dollars, I'd build a...

Shop

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’d put cables the cables underground, then there are no restrictions. You could even directional drill them in if you want to not disturb existing structures etc.

@David_R8 - @StevSmar is absolutely right. I'm ashamed of myself for not suggesting it. Especially since my entire farm has underground 400Amp wiring.
I'm not sure BC Hydro would do that in a residential area where all the services are overhead.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 - didn't you mention being able to extend another 10' towards the road?, sounds like a bike shed to me.
I could but that invokes the whole bureaucratic nightmare on flaming wheels that is Saanich building permit review and approval process.
I'd almost rather chew off my own leg than endure it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure that BC Hydro would do that in a residential area where all the services are overhead.

Actually, I'd bet that they won't just allow it, they will embrace it. Most communities are switching to underground services wherever and whenever possible. I suppose you might live in a backward municipality, but it sure as heck wouldn't hurt to ask.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually, I'd bet that they won't just allow it, they will embrace it. Most communities are switching to underground services wherever and whenever possible. I suppose you might live in a backward municipality, but it sure as heck wouldn't hurt to ask.
My municipality isn’t backwards, and they also don't control or maintain the hydro services. New construction gets underground service but existing hydro infrastructure isn't converted on a per house basis. When I lived in Alberta and worked in the electrical utility industry converting from overhead to underground was never done. The expense is huge for almost zero benefit.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There ya go, difficulties all around in BC, out here on the barren prairies you would be free to do as you please. No town planners, no hydro or gas just a clean slate to start with.:):)

Ya ya ya..... Rub it in!

God I miss the prairies....

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I'm not sure BC Hydro would do that in a residential area where all the services are overhead.
Manitoba Hydro has no issues with underground.

We did that at our cottage because:
- It’s heavily treed and we were the only cottage owners around us that hadn’t had their overhead electrical service taken down by a tree falling on it.
- the existing electrical panel was in our bedroom.
- we were planning on an extension and going underground meant that I could put the electrical panel anywhere.

(We had to pay full price to do so though, because Manitoba Hydro only provides one “subsidized” electrical service to each house. If it’s subsequently changed from overhead to underground like we did, then you pay full price.)

(with an overhead service and no exterior overcurrent protection, the main breaker needs to be “as close as practical” to the service mast. Since underground was also underground under the cabin (Our cabin is post on beam and doesn’t have a basement), that meant we could have our panel anywhere we wanted to, so I put it behind the door in the utility room)

But you have a spare $1M+, so you can pretty much afford to do whatever works best... Why don’t you build a garage with a basement? You can put hollow core concrete slabs for the floors that will easily span between walls. Actually I’d put a loft too, and a residential elevator. The woodworking equipment can be in the attic and the metalworking equipment in the basement.
(Reminds me of how I saw a video once of a fellow who built an aircraft hanger that retracted into the ground, because his condo group didn’t allow a regular hangar to be built…)

Did you have any other money you want me to spend for you..LOL.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I almost found a perfect space for a shop south of Williams lake. It was an old school with a full gymnasium. (What a shop!) For a song. But when I viewed it, it would have needed more than half a million just to fix the roof, the heating and the plumbing.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I almost found a perfect space for a shop south of Williams lake. It was an old school with a full gymnasium. (What a shop!) For a song. But when I viewed it, it would have needed more than half a million just to fix the roof, the heating and the plumbing.
This is the challenge, a good price comes with hidden costs.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Well @David_R8 , things just got real. Moving at some point in 2023 to a 2300 shop from a 740 ish and garage. Hopefully supporting a company for my son and - well - lots of other things to do!! Didn’t take a million but I guess that is all relative. LOL
Having seen your shop, Brent, I'd just like to say...I'd like to help on your moving day but I'm busy. Whatever day that is, I've got other plans that I can't get out of. You know I'd love to help but that day just isn't going to work. Yup, really, really sorry. Really.

;)

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well @David_R8 , things just got real. Moving at some point in 2023 to a 2300 shop from a 740 ish and garage. Hopefully supporting a company for my son and - well - lots of other things to do!! Didn’t take a million but I guess that is all relative. LOL

Hmmmmm, smells a lot like a second career and work to me.......

You moving your home too or just the shop(s)?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : ADVENTURE is awesome!!!

But: some advice to the men out there -
TALK TO YOUR WIFE FFS!!!

Deal terminated due to wife freaking out and not ever wanting to sell - Holy Shizzle sticks - a sign on your lawn for 4 months is not a clue???? Idiots!!

Anyway, maybe they will divorce and he can sell the place. Bloody idiots and wasted a lot of peoples time and effort - argh!

@trlvn : hold off on that no move help. We will let you know in the future if you can be unavailable. LOL