• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Pangnirtung, Nunavut.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
now dabble in making violins
Nice!!! I’ve made a guitar and it was one of my more enjoyable projects. If I start playing again I might even make another guitar as a retirement project…
Hope you enjoy.
Cheers
Donald.
I did enjoy seeing your photos. The countryside has a stark “beauty” to it. Where I grew up in Australia, it was sub-tropical and green with hill’s always in the distance. Quite pretty. When I moved to Winnipeg, it took me a while to get used to the big prairie sky (and not having wayfinding hills at the horizon).
I suspect it would take me some time to get used to no trees, though I’m sure jealous of your hills.

Welcome to the forum!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Welcome from Kendal, Ontario.

One of the things I love most about all the various forums I've participated in over the years is getting to "meet" all kinds of different people from all over this country, and world. See how, and where they live, see a bit of their culture, etc. It's almost like getting to travel to world for free, from the comfort of your own home. And for this small town guy, that doesn't travel or otherwise get out much, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks for posting up some pictures from Nunavut. I'm looking forward to more.

A view from the Red Hill Valley walking trail in Hamilton Ontario.

I had to do a double take on that picture, as that looks almost identical to a spot on my side road, and how I start my drive to work everyday.

Donald Mearns

Well I thought it was about time for an update, still waiting for the box of electrics to come back from Busy Bee, I may be the most patient man alive!!
So help me though if someone tells me I just have to have patience I may explode!
I seem to have a list of stuff I’m waiting patiently for, post Covid land is a bit of a shambles still.
We are well into December and still I haven’t turned a chip on my brand new mill.
I really hope it all comes soon!

Donald Mearns

Fun pictures of Pangnirtung. And I love the name. How is internet service provided there? I also want to know what the white round thing in picture 5 is? Welcome to the forum!
Sorry I’m a bit late in answering, the white thing is not some alien landing craft but actually the top of a round water tank that must have blown form town yrs ago.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island. Central Saanich actually, North of Victoria, South of the Airport and Ferry terminalView attachment 27309. This is a view of a pond in Elk Lake Park that is currently mud due to the 109 days of no rain.
A month and a half later there are leaves on the ground and some water has returned but even though it sprinkles a bit almost every day, the water isn't fully up to where it normally is by now in the fall. But at least there's a bit of water in it.
ElkLakePond-1.jpg

Gordie

Welcome from another Don. About 20 years ago, I hiked in Auyuittuq National Park on the Cumberland Peninsula with a buddy from Yellowknife. Closest I've been to your home. I'm happily retired in Ottawa and a new member learning a lot from this talented crew. I miss the smoked Arctic Char I used to get from Cambridge Bay!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Donald Mearns - awesome to have someone from Pangnirtung!! When I was working Coast Guard I was up to Iqaluit and all through the Hudson Strait - fantastic scenery! The people are amazing as well! Hopefully your tooling arrives soon!

Donald Mearns

I have to say I am so disappointed with the company Busy Bee Tools.
It was always one of my favourite places to visit when in the south. A place for a gear head to go and dream about tools. Not just any tool’s but specialty tools on a different scale.
This summer I took the dive and bought my dream metal milling machine. A retirement goal to take my metal working on to another level.
All went well, machine was bought and also a wood lathe.
It then was time to wait as the machines wet shipped through sea lift.
They arrived in good condition in October, I had built an extension to my work shop specifically for these two machines, electrical work and lighting too along with a new source of heating for the work shop. Need I say, I was committed to this.
With the help of a bunch of young lads we got the machines set up. Plugged the mill in and not a light was illuminated. You cannot imagine my disappointment. Well on to check fuses etc, iron out any of the simple things. Fuses changed and still no power or action from the machine.
The first call on Oct 21 2022 to Busy Bee was made at this point. Initially this was very good, very helpful and understanding of the situation. They suggested sending one of the main board down for their repairs to check out. I had a weekend in which to do this work so I decided to research issues with the mill. There are many of these mills made by the same factory but with different names, Craftex, King Canada, Precision Mathews. All similar electronics and set up. They also suffer similar electrical issues on occasion. There is a wide variety of components that can cause a “no power” situation so it seems to me sending the whole electrical unit and circuitry would be the best solution. I could see a yo-yo situation arise sending individual components back and forward till everything worked. I was just desperate to get this fixed ASAP.
I phoned the same guy Monday morning and checked if this seemed like a good idea. He agreed and that morning the box with the whole control panel unit was sent. Oct 27th after I received their return shipping label.
It was a while till I heard they had received parcel arrived Nov 14th 2022 and I was informed my unit was in “the queue”for testing. I was resigned to their process, as seemingly they could just not send me a new unit but rather it had to go through a repair analysis. “Cest la vie” I thought!
I waited a few weeks and then decided to prod the customer service for an update as I had heard nothing. This was the start of my frustration. No answer was forth coming. I then followed up with another few emails spread out through a couple of weeks. I gave them some leeway for a Christmas break as well. These messages were polite and to the point that I would appreciate a time frame or information on progress. Still no answer.
This continued until last week when I took to physically phoning the customer service. There was a young man who answered and read my file as I waited then promising me he would research what was holding things up and return an email with a time frame
and info. Surprise! A week later and no answer.
I am beyond disappointed with the company and their after sales service! So if you are looking at any larger machinery let me warn you that after sales service isn’t great.
I’m now trying for figure out my next action.
Another call is probably my immediate action and I will wait on line till I get some form of information. ( did I mention I hate being on the phone… one of my things that just rankles me!)
Picture is of the mill, bereft of its control box! Hmmmmm! Into the fourth month! Eight months since I bought the damn machine! The ongoing saga!

#busybeetools

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have to say I am so disappointed with the company Busy Bee Tools.
It was always one of my favourite places to visit when in the south. A place for a gear head to go and dream about tools. Not just any tool’s but specialty tools on a different scale.
This summer I took the dive and bought my dream metal milling machine. A retirement goal to take my metal working on to another level.
All went well, machine was bought and also a wood lathe.
It then was time to wait as the machines wet shipped through sea lift.
They arrived in good condition in October, I had built an extension to my work shop specifically for these two machines, electrical work and lighting too along with a new source of heating for the work shop. Need I say, I was committed to this.
With the help of a bunch of young lads we got the machines set up. Plugged the mill in and not a light was illuminated. You cannot imagine my disappointment. Well on to check fuses etc, iron out any of the simple things. Fuses changed and still no power or action from the machine.
The first call on Oct 21 2022 to Busy Bee was made at this point. Initially this was very good, very helpful and understanding of the situation. They suggested sending one of the main board down for their repairs to check out. I had a weekend in which to do this work so I decided to research issues with the mill. There are many of these mills made by the same factory but with different names, Craftex, King Canada, Precision Mathews. All similar electronics and set up. They also suffer similar electrical issues on occasion. There is a wide variety of components that can cause a “no power” situation so it seems to me sending the whole electrical unit and circuitry would be the best solution. I could see a yo-yo situation arise sending individual components back and forward till everything worked. I was just desperate to get this fixed ASAP.
I phoned the same guy Monday morning and checked if this seemed like a good idea. He agreed and that morning the box with the whole control panel unit was sent. Oct 27th after I received their return shipping label.
It was a while till I heard they had received parcel arrived Nov 14th 2022 and I was informed my unit was in “the queue”for testing. I was resigned to their process, as seemingly they could just not send me a new unit but rather it had to go through a repair analysis. “Cest la vie” I thought!
I waited a few weeks and then decided to prod the customer service for an update as I had heard nothing. This was the start of my frustration. No answer was forth coming. I then followed up with another few emails spread out through a couple of weeks. I gave them some leeway for a Christmas break as well. These messages were polite and to the point that I would appreciate a time frame or information on progress. Still no answer.
This continued until last week when I took to physically phoning the customer service. There was a young man who answered and read my file as I waited then promising me he would research what was holding things up and return an email with a time frame
and info. Surprise! A week later and no answer.
I am beyond disappointed with the company and their after sales service! So if you are looking at any larger machinery let me warn you that after sales service isn’t great.
I’m now trying for figure out my next action.
Another call is probably my immediate action and I will wait on line till I get some form of information. ( did I mention I hate being on the phone… one of my things that just rankles me!)
Picture is of the mill, bereft of its control box! Hmmmmm! Into the fourth month! Eight months since I bought the damn machine! The ongoing saga!

#busybeetools
That sucks... Even if you were located near a store, it wou;d still be similar I am pretty sure. Given your remote location, maybe testing should be done b4 shipping on actual equipment (your situation is more unique for sure).

Donald Mearns

That sucks... Even if you were located near a store, it wou;d still be similar I am pretty sure. Given your remote location, maybe testing should be done b4 shipping on actual equipment (your situation is more unique for sure).
It came with a testing pass but that’s when it leaves China… it comes a long way

This really sucks, I remember when you joined us here and had just purchased the mill and were waiting for delivery. I wonder if a bunch of us all emailed them en-mass regarding their customer service on this, if it might get their attention that a large portion of their hobby market is looking for other options. It's stories like this the scare me away from a lot of "new" purchases, which unfortunately geographically doesn't work for you.

Donald Mearns

This really sucks, I remember when you joined us here and had just purchased the mill and were waiting for delivery. I wonder if a bunch of us all emailed them en-mass regarding their customer service on this, if it might get their attention that a large portion of their hobby market is looking for other options. It's stories like this the scare me away from a lot of "new" purchases, which unfortunately geographically doesn't work for you.
Thanks for the support, I’m going to persevere for a wee while longer. I’m out of the country for a month so they have a bit of time. When I return I am writing directly to HQ.
I’m not asking for much just a “Dear Donald sorry for the delay, it will take x time and we will have it back to you! “
Not much to ask… buggers!
All the best,
Donald