• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Pangnirtung, Nunavut.

trevj

Ultra Member
Don, I envy some parts of your life.

But after having spent 22 years of my life with Prairie winters, I want not a thing to do with the "REAL" winters up North! LOL! I kinda like it when a 'normal' winter day is a single digit number (on either side) and when -20degC is a Cold Snap, that only lasts a couple days! And Winter amounts to some of December, January, and usually most of February, but almost never, all of March!

Having four actual seasons spoils a fella, gotta say! Furthest North "I" lived, was Cold Lake Ab., where there were actual trees, but the seasons changed from "Bugs" to "Frost" overnight, with the reverse in the spring!

LinsG

Welcome from Red Deer, although I moved from Yellowknife a year ago. Always cool to see someone from the North. Closest I’ve been to Pang was Rankin Inlet probably 20 or so years ago. I have some ex-coworkers currently in Iqaluit.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Not just a thousand members. But a thousand members with hundreds of contacts each! Pretty much everyone who would consider buying Busy Bee is watching.
Oh your modesty, I counted 496K members last time I did the members roster.
:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh your modesty, I counted 496K members last time I did the members roster.
:D

Your MODESTY???? Me??? ROTFLMAO!

I am not good at remembering numbers. But I could swear I recently heard over a thousand not 490 thousand. Hits maybe though. Anyway, the number of members is a good number for everyone to know. Can you confirm @Janger?

Proxule

Ultra Member
Your MODESTY???? Me??? ROTFLMAO!

I am not good at remembering numbers. But I could swear I recently heard over a thousand not 490 thousand. Hits maybe though. Anyway, the number of members is a good number for everyone to know. Can you confirm @Janger?
I enjoy the banter you and I have my friend. Gotta have fun!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

Forum statistics​

Threads6,335Messages96,171Members2,017Latest memberJmcnei

Hopefully it works....

@140mower interesting stats between members (2,017) and users (3,154).

Exactly how are the member and user numbers tabulated?

Not wanting to hyjack this thread from it's orginal intent.

Trying to confuse this 85 year old codger again! Doesn't take much. LOL

I'm positive Josh will set the numbers straight for the record.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Me either. Members are the ones who joined. I "THINK" Users are those who visit the site without joining or posting based on counting unique IP Addresses. I do not know that for sure. There are a lot of those. But the count Don found seems very very low to me. The member numbers seem reasonable.

@140mower - where did you see those stats? I don't see them on my phone.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Me either. Members are the ones who joined. I "THINK" Users are those who visit the site without joining or posting based on counting unique IP Addresses. I do not know that for sure. There are a lot of those. But the count Don found seems very very low to me. The member numbers seem reasonable.

1674595214222.png

They are on the home page, under forum stats..... Close to where it shows how many are online.....

I'm positive Josh will set the numbers straight for the record.
I have no idea, in fact I can't see the user numbers.....
What I think we have here is a clear case of the blind leading the blind. :p
Good lord, sometimes I wonder how any of us manage to put on matching socks in the morning, 'cause we sure can't keep on topic worth a crap....:rolleyes::D;) (I do Ok on the colors, the wife just needs to remind me that they're on the wrong feet, no idea how she can tell). :p

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Forum statistics​

Threads6,335Messages96,171Members2,017Latest memberJmcnei

Hopefully it works....
The problem with the counts is people who register to spam are included so the real membership is hard to estimate. I would guess 1000 but that is just a guess. There are the usual suspects about 50 or 100 people posting regularly. And a lot of people with no posts or just a few posts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I should jump the fuse on my broken BB lathe.

I would not do that. You can put a replacement in there of the same size or SMALLER. Jumping it essentially puts no limit on the current at all and could cause HUGE damage. It is really risky to replace a fuse with a bigger one. The only time I would ever do that is on the advice of the manufacturer who takes responsibility for what happens.

If the fuse is blown, it usually blew for a reason. It's best to find out why it blew. Replacing it with the same size or smaller is the best way to do that.

Tom O

Ultra Member
When it happened to me changing the fuse made no difference it was the cheap fuse body I had to change.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I would not do that. You can put a replacement in there of the same size or SMALLER. Jumping it essentially puts no limit on the current at all and could cause HUGE damage. It is really risky to replace a fuse with a bigger one. The only time I would ever do that is on the advice of the manufacturer who takes responsibility for what happens.

If the fuse is blown, it usually blew for a reason. It's best to find out why it blew. Replacing it with the same size or smaller is the best way to do that.
There ya go, bein' all logical an' stuff. What about fun? You know. Copper pennies in the old style fuse boxes. Juicy Fruit wrappers around blown auto headlight fuses so you can get home in the dark. That kind of thing. Live a little! ;)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

He could jump it with an inline fuse holder :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are on the home page, under forum stats..... Close to where it shows how many are online.....

OK, that's probably only available on the desktop view. It isn't on my phone view. I'm actually glad about that!
There ya go, bein' all logical an' stuff. What about fun? You know. Copper pennies in the old style fuse boxes. Juicy Fruit wrappers around blown auto headlight fuses so you can get home in the dark. That kind of thing. Live a little! ;)

A short story just for Poops N Giggles.

I needed a bigger tractor about 8 years ago. Could not afford it. It's a similar story to buying machines for the shop.

But the local Deere dealer knew me and knew my background. He told me he could get me a really nice tractor that the guys in service could not fix. The electrical was whacky. The tractor ran fine if you didn't use any of the lights. They were going to auction it off for parts. He said I could have it for half price and even said I could get my money back if I couldn't fix it.

I spent about 6 months off and on working on that tractor. When all the smoke cleared I came to know that a wire in the engine compartment had drooped and contacted the compressor, shorting out and blowing a fuse. This could not be seen with the hood open. The original owner replaced that fuse a few times and then decided to try a bigger fuse. Before the bigger fuse blew, it melted an entire harness and blew a bunch of other fuses.

In a mad frenzy, the owner started swapping fuses and made things even worse. Finally, he traded it. The dealer unintentionally compounded the problem by believing the service wiring diagrams and fuse designations. They were wrong in a few places.

I ended up rebuilding several harnesses and providing correct info to their manuals division. It was a lot of work in my spare time, but I got a gorgeous tractor in the bargain.

If the owner had only stuck to the same fuse and tried to do a proper job of finding out why it was blowing, none of this would have happened. They probably still wouldn't know the manual was wrong either. It had been built right but documented wrong.

Ya, please don't jump the fuse or put a bigger fuse in.

Edit - As @Chicken lights says, you could remove the existing fuse and use an in-line fuse of the same amps to jump the fuse terminals. Just don't leave the original fuse in there if you do that.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

fuse not blown, want to see if bypass will fix it, then it would be a faulty holder..............