• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Ontario

darrin1200

Darrin

darrin1200

Darrin
Applying crazy glue as a finish. How do you do that? Does it need post drying sanding and polishing?

Keep in mind, I have never tried this with standard “crazy glue” from the store. I use Starbond, Mercury adhesive an my latest favourite (and most expensive) Gluboost.

Its fairly easy. With the lathe turning (about 1000rpm), put a couple of drops on a piece of paper towel ( I use blue shop towel). Apply to the material tubing it back and forth for a second. Let dry. Usually takes 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat.
The more coats, the longer the drying time between.

Afterwards, I wet sand using micro mesh, up to 12000.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for info. I'm an RC guy so quite familiar with CA glue. Moreso for bonding/structural but I've noticed people using it for other it's other interesting side properties like finishing. This is inside of my DLG glider. The servo tray is a laminate of lite ply & glass cloth bonded by CA. Kevlar thread is wound around the metal links & carbon rods & CA wicking. I'm not after any finish of course, just stay put adhesion.

You probably know this but CA comes in range of viscosities from water thin to gel if that's beneficial. I would tend to agree, accelerator might not give the right results. The glue becomes kind of mottled & can develop some white haziness from the that would detract from the finish. There are probably some epoxies I could recommend but that has issues too & looks like you have this mastered!

Wood finishing products have changed dramatically over the past years. Some for environmental reasons but also just better products. Not sure if you've heard of this place but may be of interest. I think it started as a home/hobby business, they are out of Saskatoon. https://www.woodessence.com/

Attachments

• IMG_3982_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3982_edited-1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 8

darrin1200

Darrin
@PeterT
I have looked at you RC guys from afar LOL. I can’t afford another hobby.

Yeah I have a few different viscosities. The Gluboost is designed for luthiers (probably why it’s $27/bottle), for finish repairs on guitar bodies, as well as adhesive uses. They even have colour tinting. The only place I have found it in Canada, is Solo Guitars in Toronto.

I’ve heard of Wood Essence. They are one of the few sources of shellac in Canada.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some of my <ahem> 'seasoned' RC buddies who have been building for a long time have acquired an adverse reaction to CA glue over the years. What started out as a mild irritation of eyes & nostrils like when cutting strong onions, has now become immediate respiratory reactions & rashes as soon as the bottle is opened. I guess its the body's way of saying No. I suspect this was aggravated by higher exposure - more porous materials like balsa tend to fume more & physical size of projects. I have some plastic modeler friends who practically have their nose in it because of the smaller scale, but the drops are so teeny by comparison.