• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Gingery Shaper Resurrection

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would turn a nice fitting slug of steel for the bore. Use the set-screw to secure the slug. Use a regular drill of correct size and drill a hole with the center right at the intersection of the sprocket ID line and the slug OD line. Remove the slug. Use square file to file out the rest of the key way. Or use the mill or lathe with a cutting tool (as has been suggested above) to square the key way. With the drill removing the bulk of the material, the other tools should have a relatively easy time to finish it off.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I would turn a nice fitting slug of steel for the bore. Use the set-screw to secure the slug. Use a regular drill of correct size and drill a hole with the center right at the intersection of the sprocket ID line and the slug OD line. Remove the slug. Use square file to file out the rest of the key way. Or use the mill or lathe with a cutting tool (as has been suggested above) to square the key way. With the drill removing the bulk of the material, the other tools should have a relatively easy time to finish it off.

Brilliant:) That solves the drilling problem. Thanks!!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well, didn't get to far with the drilling......

KeyWay.JPG

The drill bit wanted to wander toward the softer plug material. I'm thinking this sprocket is hardened. I quit before I broke my drill bit, you could see the bit bending over. As a last resort I tried plunging with a 1/8" 2 flute end mill. Broke the end mill in very short order.

Guess flats it's going to be after all...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If it is hard, then you would have struggled with a HSS slotting tool as well.

What size are you going for? I may have the same size in carbide end mill that we could have a go at it with if you want.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Thank-you for answering my wife's question as to why I need two shapers. (So #2 can fix #1)

I'll be in the shop tomorrow, you could pop out to see if the Southbend Shaper could cut that?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
In my quest to eliminate vibration, I decided to make a new sprocket drive shaft...

View attachment 13914

The original is a tad too short to fully support a 4 sheave pulley, hence the pulley was wobbling.

View attachment 13915

Could not find any decent 5/8" stock at Rona or Lowes. The pieces they had weren't anywhere near straight and looked like they had been dipped in acid, so I turned the new shaft from 3/4" SS I had. I nailed the dimensions 5/8" and 1/2". In fact I had to finish the 1/2" end with emery cloth in order for the drive sprocket to seat.

View attachment 13916

View attachment 13917

This is the drive sprocket. It really could use a 1/8" key rather than relying on the two tiny set screws set on flats that is the current implementation. Can't get my head around why it doesn't have a keyway in the first place unless it was meant to be welded on a shaft.

In any event I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can cut a keyway in it. I can't picture side milling with a 1/8" end mill working nor can I a picture a 1/8" drill bit doing the trick either. A hack saw blade won't fit in the center hole.

An ideas?

Farmer fix #-whatever it is up to now- Craig is there clearance on either side of the gear for a $4 PA "already slotted" pully flange to be welded to it. Slot your shaft to coincide with flange position and your away to the races.
Second way if no side clearance is avail., could be to reduce shaft dia by 3/16 or so and slot it. Now build a sleeve to snugly fit both gear I.D and shaft O.D. ... now slot the sleeve to accommodate your key size of choice and weld it to the gear at both ends ....should "slide-n-drive" now.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Well, didn't get to far with the drilling......

View attachment 13926

The drill bit wanted to wander toward the softer plug material. I'm thinking this sprocket is hardened. I quit before I broke my drill bit, you could see the bit bending over. As a last resort I tried plunging with a 1/8" 2 flute end mill. Broke the end mill in very short order.

Guess flats it's going to be after all...

The other way would be to find another shaft of the same(ish) hardness as the gear and drill the two. The trick here is finding that hardness of shaft, grade 8 bolt?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
To finish this thread off.

I acquired a 8" Peerless shaper from @RobinHood (thanks Rudy). The Gingery was returned to @kevin.decelles for preservation.