• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gingery Shaper Resurrection

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I've been wanting a shaper for quite some time now but don't really have the room for an Atlas so I decided to approach @kevin.decelles to see if he would surrender @Johnwa 's Gingery to me. Kevin agreed (Thanks Kevin!). I picked it up Friday morning....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

You really have to see this thing in person to appreciate the amount of work @Johnwa put into this. It's quite amazing and I appreciate now why Kevin snapped it up. I have an agreement with Kevin to return it before ever scrapping it.

In general it's all there except for a few crank handles and graduated collars. I'll be working on those and tweaking some of the mating surfaces and spots that are binding.

4.JPG

This is countershaft drive assembly. I'm still trying to get my head around how it works. Will probably make more sense once I mount it to something.

Had a really good hour long tour of Kevin's shop. Man he has some really cool older large machines all running. Large lathe that has reverse on the fly. A large shaper with a very long stroke (2.5' ?) where the motor is connected via a 4 speed tractor transmission. The biggest power hack saw I've ever laid eyes on with hydraulic letdown that lifts the blade on the back stroke. Very cool stuff.

Craig

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Your not going to like that machine at all. Best send it to SK. for finishing. :) Congrats

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
It was good to see Craig. So much is lost in the messaging only aspect of the forum .

Looking forward to updates and hopefully seeing this shaper running in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
It looks great one thing I saw though is the cross slide mechanism it looks quite coarse on mine it is a finer tooth which will give a smaller stepover giving a better finish.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It looks great one thing I saw though is the cross slide mechanism it looks quite coarse on mine it is a finer tooth which will give a smaller stepover giving a better finish.

Well..... If John stayed true to the Gingery design the mechanism can be setup to pickup 1 to 6 teeth per stroke, moving the table 0.002" - 0.012" per stroke.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
KeyWay.JPG

First up on the agenda was a keyway on the sprocket drive shaft to mesh with the keyed drive pulley.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I should have the shaper book kicking around somewhere. I’ll find it for you.

Kevin gave me one that I think he got from you. Red 5-1/2 X 8-1/2 paper back? He had two of them.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
One crank handle down..... one to go.

Crank.JPG

Had this broken Utilathe cross feed crank in my spare parts box that would work. Made a 1/2"-3/8" bushing with set screw. How to mount the crank on the mill in order to drill the hole to replace the broken off handle had me a little perplexed.

TNut.JPG

Then it dawned on me to bolt it to a 1/2" T-Nut and mount the nut in the vise. Worked like a charm, including mounting it on the bench vise for tapping.

If anyone has a broken crank or two like this that they would be willing to donate to the project, I'll pay the postage.

Craig

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You mean you are not going to turn these classic dumbell handles on your classic lathe?

Would be a great challenge to grind some form tools or use the step turning method to rough out the balls and finish them with a file and emery paper....

Here is a video showing how to turn contours using the step turn method...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A couple of more tweaks today....

The table was binding at the extreme ends of it's travel.

RHCollar.JPG

Had to turn a wee bit off the auto cross feed collar on the right side.

LHSupport.JPG

And mill 1/16" off the back of the screw support bracket on the left hand side.

DriveBelt.JPG

And then...… Three trips to PA later... I finally landed a belt that fit's this countershaft contraption:oops: First attempt I measured it using a power cord wrapped around it, too short. Next I measured it with a flexible measuring tape, too short again:( . Third one...… well it's a little too long, but usable.

@Johnwa Did you cast that 9" pulley?

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Yes I did. I was a bit worried about the shrinkage flaw on one of the spokes but it seemed to work.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
A trip to PA is 1.25 hours round trip so when I buy belts I buy 4 sizes on either side. What size worked? Curious to see if I had 3 on the shelf for it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Craig...envious does not describe me right now, a bench-top shaper was on my "bucket list" for a long time but just never could find one close enough or in my "affordable range" at the time.
Enjoy that beastie.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Discovered a delinquent Gib strip...

VGibb1.JPG

On the left hand side of the vertical table slide. Must have fallen out.

VGibb2.JPG

Milled one up out of mild steel and left a hook on the end of it. Supposed to be brass I think?

VGibb3.JPG

This one can't fall out...…..