• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Garage furnace

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I picked up a Reznor at EMCO HVAC in 2010. At the time it about the same price as a Mr. Heater at PA. I hung the furnace and piped the chimney. I had a local gas fitter run the line and hook it up.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I picked up a Reznor at EMCO HVAC in 2010. At the time it about the same price as a Mr. Heater at PA. I hung the furnace and piped the chimney. I had a local gas fitter run the line and hook it up.
How did you get it up to the top of the garage? Lift with 2 guys and then Stilts?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Quite a few years ago we had a ductless heat pump system installed with a head in the house and as the shop/garage is attached to the house I had them install a 9000btu head in the shop/garage. Wasn't the cheapest way to go but it is paying off in the low cost of operating and it keeps the shop/garage warm/cool all year. If it wasn't for the other half insisting on keeping her car in the "shop/garage" I'd more room for tools. lol

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Simple solution, build a new man cave before the cost of lumber escalates further. Just saying!

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have a reznor unit. (looks just like the one John C posted) It was installed about 6 years ago and it runs great and have had no issues other than, after 4 years the blower fan (for exhausting fumes) started growling and making a vibration. Replaced it last year, and the back bushing on the motor was completely gone. Tried to source one on my own and ended up going with a completely different motor from a great local electric motor company that helped me out. Ended up a bit more in cost but at least it has bearings. The original motor looked a bit like a doorbell transformer.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have hot dawg heater. After about 2 years of use so far zero issues. I researched it online and most people seem happy with the brand.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well guys I seem to have fixed the furnace. The flame sensor was contaminated with soot and corrosion. It’s a simple steel rod with an insulated porcelain base and one wire. Cleaned it with sand paper and put it back in. Works. I can avoid buying a new one for another year. Can’t say how many parts I’ve replaced on this thing. The trouble shooting section in the manual said it might be cracked or dirty so ...

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The burners without a pilot light use an electrically heated igniter. A flame conducts electricity so the igniter is then used to measure the resistance of the flame. Soot on the igniter insulates it so it doesn’t detect the flame.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is it a sensor or an ignitor?
Sensor. My house furnace one acted up at least 7-8 years ago and I took a scotch pad and gave it a light rub and it worked perfectly again. I've had to clean it maybe 2 more times since then. When it is dirty it never looks very dirty to me more of and oxidation and maybe a wee bit of dirt.