• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Forge and foundry build

Tom O

Ultra Member
I purchased mine from ceramics canada too they also have the zircon coating solution for higher temperatures.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
How much oxygen do we have in Alberta? Every atmospheric propane burner I have attempted to build does not seem to get enough oxygen to produce a torch like flame on the end of the flare. I have tried many different designs, my latest attempt was David Hammers video on youtube, following everything he did, at 20 psi the flame still ended up as a large blue and orange cone that spread around my entire burning chamber and out the opening. It looks like the burner isn't getting enough oxygen, is that because of our higher altitude/ lower percentage of oxygen?

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've only used a blower on mine so I can't really say but the orfice size should compensate for it have you tried adjusting the air intake?
I belive the flare at the end is used when using it outside of the furnace and is not needed in the furnace because it creates its own backpressure but it sounds like you already have enough heat to do the job.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I tried using a .030 mig tip for the orfice instead of a .035 tip, and drilling the holes a bit bigger. It still lets in too much propane or doesn't get enough oxygen, and produces a very large flame that is too hard to control.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah, the problems with my homemade burner were becoming a bit scary so I figured I would just purchase one, that is the last step in completing my forge. Anyway I have not yet found a job to get me started. There were a few postings for a laborer in a metal fabrication shop which would be a good way to come closer to finding an apprenticeship. Taking your advice into account I haven't really found any opportunities to speak with a welder of any hiring company.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I've bought from Calgary ceramics before and have bought fire brick from a place off Macleod by 39th street

Most recently I bought 3600 degree refractory from a place in Colorado and had it shipped to babb mt and went down to pick it up at the border . They sell by the bag and also sell kaowool lining etc.

The cost of fuel (50) was worth the trip . Fed ex from Colorado to Montana was about 100us.

I emailed clayburn and had no reply , and visited inproheAt in calgary but they wouldn't sell by the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Went to an auction in cheadle a month ago and picked up propane heaters with 20lb adjustable regulators for 5 bucks each. Also picked up 60 air compressor tanks for 20 bucks . Forge Making heaven !!

william

Go to brockwhite in calgary s.e they sell 25sqft of 1.5 inch thick thermowool for just over $100

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Went to an auction in cheadle a month ago and picked up propane heaters with 20lb adjustable regulators for 5 bucks each. Also picked up 60 air compressor tanks for 20 bucks . Forge Making heaven !!

Wait, you bought 60 air compressor tanks? Like... How big are each of them?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
So I've had my first "meltdown" and notice I did not update my build with hinged lid upgrade, so here is some pics two birds one stone. I developed a hole in my steel crucible from repeated use ( old steel pipe from a clothesline post and an angle iron expansion with 1/4 steel plate welded to the bottom. Was my second design and has survived over 90LBS of aluminum being processed) I had to tip over the foundry (it's welded to the mower) to drain, I pivoted on the front wheels an poured it into my "Hershey bar". I'm glad I didn't put a drain hole as I was able to recognize the issue and deal with it in a timely manor without finding a molten puddle under the cart as my first sign of trouble, causing me to panic and or make some ill conceived attempt at containment. In the end, the aluminium foil formed as I made the pour pealed off the side wall and the remaining debris is of little consequence to further operation and is once again ready to use.

I kept the founder running after I removed the crucible and poured its contents in order to maintain a molten state as I prepared the recovery.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Brilliant use of lawn mower. I was going to take mine to Calgary landfill next weekend, u just spared it!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've never burnt through one like that before! Looking at your pic it appears that the nozzle could be on more of a angle to help the flame wrap around the crucible (just a thought) I haven't even touched mine this year, but the garage has the ceiling back up and there is 2 more sheets of osb for the walls and electrical box to do unfortunatly that leaves mudding ( did i say I hate mudding ) and the new lights.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
It was just a pin hole but I smashed it with a hammer looking for it, I'm likely just regularly running to hot a temp, the steel flakes off (?) the crucible walls. the pictures are deceiving, the torch is located to put the flame to the side and under the crucible with the 3/4" thick bolts under it, it is not directed at the spot with the hole. And for repeatability /Venturi effect I do put the crucible in the same orientation every time because of the spout.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Iron will dissolve in hot aluminum, I burnt through my first crucible by trying to speed things up on a first melt and had my burner cranked (30psi). One spot on the crucible was at yellow heat before the aluminum melted. I think that was where the hole developed. I patched with an overlay weld and have used the crucible with no problem. I now keep my burner pressure around 5 psi.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I find 10psi my comfort zone. I've had a couple flame out-restarts that caused me some panic. I used to let it burn and do other work, now I baby sit it with a hand on the shut off valve