• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Forge and foundry build

RaySWT

Hey guys new to the forum, but a few quick items to add to the discussion.

We sell foundry/forge materials on the west coast, Surrey BC

1. Tim Smelko very cool, but Ontario is a distance away.
2. Use Perlite, not vermiculite. 4 cubic bag of Perlite will run you about $20 at the most.
3. Those white bricks are "insulating" and have very little strength. You should think a PR2300 or PR2600. Much stroger at the higher temps. Basically you can drop something on them and they wont chip or break. Also if you think you may splash, i use non spall type bricks.
I used them in the door area of my homemade pizza oven to protect it from the elements, snow and water can do serious damage.
4. You all might think about "plastic refractory" They come in 55lb boxes and are very malleable. Once fired just as hard as bricks, but easier to form.
5. Kiln Plates - I have used a product called "tufflloor" it is a high temp refractory that cures with out needing to be fired. Once cured (12 hours) you can drive a forklift over it and no damage. I have used it in foundry floors and in my pizza oven.
6. and do try to stay away from vermiculite.

Ray

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
To the burner or to the furnace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much oxygen in a oxy propane system will extinguish the flame. For forced air burners just reduse the air pressure, and for atmospheric burners use an air choke to limit the amount of air that gets sucked into the burner.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
If direct flame contact is to be avoided when curing any castable refractory, then how could you cure the interior of a propane forge made with castable refractory cement. I am looking into improving the strength of my forge's interior walls protecting the ceramic fiber blanket. So what, would be the best way to protect the insulation with the use of castable refractory such as morocast 60?

Tom O

Ultra Member
For the castable there can be a fire built inside to help cure it then the temp is increased slowly with the burner, with the fiber blanket you can paint it with a Zircon solution then its good I belive to 3000 deg it cost me about $100.00 at Ceramics Canada.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I've used light bulbs or a heating element from a dryer before. Slow even heat for a good while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Well jumped straight into the forge in a day ( i only had a few hours or id have finnished) heres some pictures, the write up may come later, but for now key points are that it is not complete and my chipping hammer is ghetto AF (i know this):D

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 16

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
IMG_0192.JPG Started by doing a quick test on day 2
No insulation on the sides and its just tacked together

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 16

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Side insulation and side door cut out. Its 1/2" fiber board ( dont know where my brother got it )

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 14

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
The door is hung now i need a few rests and a door latch/ knob and of course free time to use it

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 9

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
This is a fun build to watch. At some point when you get it working a vid would be great.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
The burner that I am using for my forge is definitely oversized for the size of my forging chamber, which is 8" × 16"; but I was told that it could still be used for smaller forges at pressures as low as 5 psi, still delivering up to 100,000 btu/h. But The amount of dragons breath that I still get from the forge (1 ft), tells me the burner most likely has too much back preasure. If I increased the size of the exhaust port on the backside to at least 7 times the area of the burner's nossle would it decrease the dragons breath by allowing the burner to breath more, or would it only allow more heat to escape? What would be the best way to reduse the dragons breath that comes from the forge and still retain enough heat to reach forge welding temperature?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The burner that I am using for my forge is definitely oversized for the size of my forging chamber .... forge and still retain enough heat to reach forge welding temperature?
I have similar issues. It seems like opening the back more just let’s all the extra heat out.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
What Lp psi are you running? How much air flow? Does it sound like a rocket? I tune by ear listening for the sound of a rocket, but as the heat builds it changes tunes and requires adjustment of gas pressure and air flow. Usually less as things heat up

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The picture bofobo posted of his burner flame in message #73 looks pretty ideal. Tune your burner/forge to get that type of flame and you should minimize the “dragons breath”.