Fly Reels

eotrfish

Super User
I'm using a Newall 3 axis DRO. Scales are mounted using the Newall hardware and some custom built supports.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would have preferred my DRO on RHS like yours but there just wasn't great way to accommodate access to the carriage lock which is adjacent to the gib strip. So its on the chuck side (protected).

What model & vintage lathe is that? Am I seeing part of a mill column in the background (combination lathe+mill?).

Not sure if you follow Stefan Gotteswinter but he recently replaced his overclocked Asian machine with Emco Maximat Super 11.
https://www.youtube.com/user/syyl/search?query=emco

eotrfish

Super User
Peter

Good eye - that is an Emco FB-2 mill column mounted on the back of the lathe ways.
The machine is an Emco Maximat Super 11 - one owner - new in 1984.
Thanks for the link to Stefan Gotteswinter - I’ll look at his stuff.

The carriage lock on mine is also on the right, hence the bridge shown in first photo. An open end wrench fits under the bridge to operate the carriage lock.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ack! I meant to say the cross slide lock, not carriage lock.

Attachments

• J500x364-01393.jpg
    J500x364-01393.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • J500x366-04721.jpg
    J500x366-04721.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5719_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5719_edited-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0

eotrfish

Super User
Got it
The cross slide lock on mine is also on the right. Fortunately it protrudes as a 5mm SHC head. A T-handle hex wrench fits nicely under the scale. Both locks require some “feel” to engage the wrenches but I can live with that .

eotrfish

Super User
Another reel completed...

This one is a 5" OD centrepin reel based on very early British designs with a few modern touchs.

Here's a link to the spool spin/runout test...

I was able to get the runout down to .002" radially and .003" axially. I was pleased with that considering that the spool is assembled from two rings screwed onto 12 dowels, then attached to the centre hub with 12 spokes. Truing the spool by adjusting the spoke tension was easier than I initially thought it would be.

CP01.jpg

CP02.jpg

I've got 5 other reels of various designs on the bench waiting for a trip to the anodizer. I think I'll leave this one bright.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Beautiful work!
- in your video, is that a blast of air to get the assembly spinning & just using the chuck as holding fixture?
- I don't quite understand the overall tensioning procedure. Are each of the brass spokes threaded on one end like a bike spoke? What do you grip them with to turn in/out?
- what is the role of the 3 springs on those coaxial spokes?

Really nice detailing & finishing. I can totally appreciate the work that went in. Make some kind of sacrifice to the Annodization Gods Lol

eotrfish

Super User
Thanks Peter

These reels are meant to spin freely so that a float or large fly can be carried downstream without any appreciable drag on the line - hence the spin test.

The spindle is mounted in the lathe chuck and the spool is spun with a short air blast. For the runout test I rotate the spool by hand and measure runout as I adjust the spoke tension.

DETAILS.jpg

The spokes are two piece - a body and a 2-56 screw. The spoke body is threaded 4-40 one end and has a 2-56 hole in the other end to accept the 2-56 x .25 screw which is fixed permanently in place with Loctite 680. The underside of the screw head is then turned to give a good flat underside which bears on the spool rings. The Phillips recess provides a way to tension the spokes.

Now to the three springs...

The longest spring keeps the spool retention fork engaged in the spindle groove.
There are two springs on the drag spoke. The spring closest to the hub lifts the drag fork off the spindle when drag is set to mimimum. The outer spring is adjusted via the drag nut. It forces the drag fork against the spindle to provide a small amout of spin resistance.
DETAILS 1.jpg

DETAILS 2.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very neat.
Also meant to ask, do you have to make your own springs for reels? Like flat style or custom wound? If so, just wondering about your choice of materials, heat treating, fixtures etc.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did you do the CAD drawings yourself? That's as inspiring as your machining skills!

Last edited:

eotrfish

Super User
Very neat.
Also meant to ask, do you have to make your own springs for reels? Like flat style or custom wound? If so, just wondering about your choice of materials, heat treating, fixtures etc.

I generally design to fit commercially available springs although I do wind a few if can't find a good match. Reel springs are quite forgiving so heat treat is not an issue. I did make a fixture for winding springs in my lathe some years ago. It's a simple tension tube mounted in a tool holder that let's me set pitch by using the half nuts. You do have to do a little trial and error with the mandrel to account for springback.

0.029 bright spring wire on 1/8" mandrel
IMG_2661 (2).jpg

The backend has a set screw to tension the spring wire - again a little trial and error is required.
IMG_2662 (2).jpg
Then cut to length and grind ends square - you lose a couple of turns each end.

SDP-SI is my go-to source for commercial springs.

eotrfish

Super User
Did you do the CAD drawings yourself? That's as inspiring as your machining skills!

YYCHM

I do the modelling with Autodesk Inventor - great software. Once the model is done you can make any conceivable drawing in a matter or minutes. I've been using AutoCad and Inventor since the early 80's.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
What a pleasure it is to see the pieces you make and bring together to create a functional fly reel. The attention to accuracy and detail is, as always, impressive.

eotrfish

Super User
What a pleasure it is to see the pieces you make and bring together to create a functional fly reel. The attention to accuracy and detail is, as always, impressive.
Thanks John

Indeed there is something special about assembling the myriad of small parts and actually having the reel work as planned.

Here are a couple of before pics of another reel. I just have to take the body parts to the anodizer before I can make the final assembly.

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What are the maroon colored parts - phenolic or something?
And the handles, are they finished hardwood or?

If you happen to have some pics, I'd like to see some of the fixtures or methods you make these irregular geometry parts like the brass arms. I take it these are manual/DRO, not cnc?

Attachments

• SNAG-5-16-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-5-16-2020 0001.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0

eotrfish

Super User
What are the maroon colored parts - phenolic or something?
And the handles, are they finished hardwood or?

If you happen to have some pics, I'd like to see some of the fixtures or methods you make these irregular geometry parts like the brass arms. I take it these are manual/DRO, not cnc?

Peter

The maroon parts are Micarta brake shoes the ride on the Sprag bearing shown in the top of the parts photo.

The handles are polished Rosewood finished with many coats of Gorilla Glue. I use different materials for handles - sometimes black Delrin, sometimes white artificial Ivory.

I use a lot circular fixtures for parts with irregular geometry because I can mount the fixture in my rotary table and orient as needed for a particular cut - Yes this is all manual/DRO work. It's tedious but it works. Solids modelling makes the layout a piece of cake. I just project the part profile by 1/2 of the intended end mill diameter, extrude it .010 then add that to my drawing. The extruded profile is then dimensioned and used as the endmill centreline.

The key to success is precise hole locations in the fixture and in the part blank material.

This fixture has multiple tapped and plain holes because I was able to use it for all of the irregular parts in this reel.

Assembly1.jpg

Assembly1 1.jpg
P SPR 021 L.jpg

P SPR 020 2.jpg