• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

First Lathe, any tips on getting it up and running?(picture heavy)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is a chart of shear strength of different metals:

EFCB5027-1C03-4AE1-AD08-9EDBE96BDF19.jpeg

You can see that very low carbon steels and brass (other than cold worked brass) have similar shear values. Since I had no way of knowing what kind of steel pin was in the drive (one had a roll pin => very hard!) and I was not about to pay LeBlond prices for replacement parts, I just used brass. I annealed it to be sure it would be soft and called it good.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I didn’t realize I should anneal the pin!
Thanks for the info
John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I didn’t realize I should anneal the pin!
Unless you know for sure how they made your brass stock material. If they hot formed it, then probably no need. Since I have no idea how the stuff I have was made, I annealed it. Maybe overkill, but for sure better than what was in there....

Delamont

Any other sage wisdom on getting a new (to me) machine space ready? Or any thoughts on sourcing toolholders, just need something cheap to start or if there's a used market for them some place? Also any tips on leveling a bench mounted lathe or should I make the lathe it's own custom frame/stand?

Attachments

• 20190217_185930.jpg
    20190217_185930.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
In case you haven’t got one, here’s a manual for your lathe
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2093/3353.pdf. There is a short section on leveling.
I use this
http://manuals.chudov.com/Rollies-Dads-Method-of-Lathe-Alignment.pdf to check for level as it doesn’t require a precision level or test bar.

An AXA quick change toolpost is ideal for your lathe but does cost $.
In the meantime the rocker post will work.
I have a 4 way post that you can have if you want. It’s a bit more solid but every tool has to be shimmed to height.