ER40 collet chuck

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I looked at that when I originally was trying to turn metric threads and the center hub/bearing assembly would have to be pressed in and out of the gear in order to rotate it because there is a spacer that is part of the assembly. I'm presuming they wouldn't have designed it that way
Hopefully I understand you correctly… you are saying that if you were to take off the nut (red arrow) , you can not just slide the combo gear off the shaft and turn it around?

IMG_4097.jpeg

Have you tried it?

That gear has a 6203-2RS bearing in it. The axle runs through the inner race. The bearing / gear assembly is held to the axle shaft by the retaining nut (red arrow) and a washer. It has to come apart.

On the equivalent Grizzly lathe (G4003 12x36 GH), that gear is flipped around allowing the “F” gear to mesh with the 91T portion of the compound permanently. Tables for this lathe also seem to indicate that F should always mesh with 91T and not 86T as you have it on your lathe.

The diagram picture of the 86/91 compound does not match the nomenclature either (that is true for both the King and the Grizzly models): in both cases the 86T label is associated with the larger portion of the compound gear and the 91T label is closest to the smaller side. I believe that is an error.

Brian H

Super User
I sure wish we lived closer. I would LOVE to dig into that nasty problem of yours with you. It would be great fun! I know you won't agree for now, but I'm actually jealous of the fun you are having.
I'm sure in a short while I will be able to agree with you. But for now, we have a different classification of "fun"...LOL

Brian H

Super User
Hopefully I understand you correctly… you are saying that if you were to take off the nut (red arrow) , you can not just slide the combo gear off the shaft and turn it around?

View attachment 46393

Have you tried it?

That gear has a 6203-2RS bearing in it. The axle runs through the inner race. The bearing / gear assembly is held to the axle shaft by the retaining nut (red arrow) and a washer. It has to come apart.

On the equivalent Grizzly lathe (G4003 12x36 GH), that gear is flipped around allowing the “F” gear to mesh with the 91T portion of the compound permanently. Tables for this lathe also seem to indicate that F should always mesh with 91T and not 86T as you have it on your lathe.

The diagram picture of the 86/91 compound does not match the nomenclature either (that is true for both the King and the Grizzly models): in both cases the 86T label is associated with the larger portion of the compound gear and the 91T label is closest to the smaller side. I believe that is an error.
That is correct. I tried (very gently, but firmly) and this is a pressed in bearing/spacer assembly. The temptation to put it in my hydraulic press and try was there, but I sat for a moment and decided against it.
I have an email into a tech at King Canada. Apparently he is the go to guy according to the dealer I purchased this from. I guess time will tell.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
yes, however, I watched an interesting video on "ox-tools" YouTube channel last night that has a cool workaround for that. If I knew how to link things I would do that...
I've done this. I don't recommend it. You can re-engage in the same groove of the lead screw if you track it well, *BUT* the gears in the headstock make no guarantees to hit the same teeth. So you get a bunch of good passes, and then the backlash is slightly different and you get the wrong tooth somewhere in the gear train and kablooey, you part is trash.
Best to get used to the rhythm of running it motorized back and forth.

Bandit

Super User
My idler gears are also pressed/fitting very tight on their hub. I tried turning the set around to see what difference it makes, however the larger gear would not clear the upper driving gear hub of the gear used when turning metric threads. However, my lathe is using the 127 tooth idler gear set. I do have a few shims/spacers to allow getting better tooth engagement when needed. This seems to be somewhat caused by the hub of the idler gears.
I may turn/polish the idler gear hub a bit to allow easier hub removal from the idler gears as it would be easier to make a new hub if needed then to mess with the gear bores. We will see.
My daughter's take on electric fences, "it's easy to train kids about electric fences, put peanut butter on the wire and turn it on, tell them it's peanut butter. It also allows you to spot the smarter ones".
Hmm, does this say something about her upbringing?

Last edited:

Brian H

Super User
SO, an update on threading on my lathe. I had several emails back and forth from King and basically they told me they had sold many of these lathes and had no issues so there is nothing wrong with my lathe...
Apparently, after purchasing a new lathe I still cannot single point thread....

Very disappointed in the response from King, and the new lathe....

I'm going to have a discussion with the dealer I purchased this from. I doubt there is much he can do, but I'm not sure there is much he can offer if King isn't willing to help.

Last edited:
SO, an update on threading on my lathe. I had several emails back and forth from King and basically they told me they had sold many of these lathes and had no issues so there is nothing wrong with my lathe...
Apparently, after purchasing a new lathe I still cannot single point thread....

Very disappointed in the response from King.
Sounds like it's time to bend the king over and firmly place his crown where the sun doesn't shine.......:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Presumably, we buy new to avoid such problems. This puts a whole new light on the situation.

What is involved in returning it?

Is there a ladder to climb there?

Brian H

Super User
Presumably, we buy new to avoid such problems. This puts a whole new light on the situation.

What is involved in returning it?

Is there a ladder to climb there?
That's what the discussion with the dealer will be. I waited 3 months to get it when I ordered it. I don't know if they will be willing to do a swap. (at least I have a lathe to use in the mean time...) Like I mentioned, King said they haven't had any issues so there can't be anything wrong with it, so they won't be willing to help at all.

My brother-in-law knows a retired machinist. I'm going to see if he'd be willing to stop over and see what he can cipher. I know I'm not a professional, but, I think I can follow relatively simple instructions on setting up a gear train...maybe he'll see something I'm doing wrong