• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Dividing head restoration

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wooooo Hooooo!

You win!

The rest is easy. Anything else that resists can be overcome with a drill and a few custom parts!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I washed out all the rusty goo with kerosene and an old toothbrush. Believe it or not the rust really isn't that deep. I managed to remove most if not all of the internal nuts and bolts. All rotational axis now turn freely! Not all parts are completely dissassembled but I'm wondering at this point if that will really be necessary. A lot more cleaning and lubrication will be next.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm kind'a with the "continue the tear down crowd"....man...your gonna have a rotary table that is the envy of every person in that crowd when your done.

Well, maybe not quite a rotary table, but every bit as useful and every bit as envied!

I still think that he should scrap it at SSSS (Susquatch Scrap Sales Solutions) . Especially now that all the dissimilar metals have been separated out...... (Insert evil grin here.......)

Well, maybe not quite a rotary table, but every bit as useful and every bit as envied!

I still think that he should scrap it at SSSS (Susquatch Scrap Sales Solutions) . Especially now that all the dissimilar metals have been separated out...... (Insert evil grin here.......)

Right now it very much looks like a pile of scrap parts! I've just spent the better part of my day trying to get every last piece apart. I've made a lot of progress but their are still a couple of key pieces that are eluding my efforts. I think its going to be a long time before it's "the envy of every person in the crowd". Buying it at the auction was a big gamble and a leap of faith. If I'd known then what I know now I may not have taken the gamble!

DH parts2.JPG

DH parts1.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think its going to be a long time before it's "the envy of every person in the crowd".

It's not even back together yet and it's already the envy of at least one person in the crowd! And I'd bet quite a few others feel the same way I do......;)

I like @Dabbler 's sentiments. That universal dividing head of yours will be the subject of many fine stories to come!

Well scored and well done!

For those interested I have a son with learning difficulties that can remove any bolt. Just to be clear I said remove....one way or another......as his shop teach found out on a brand new engine he was building.......

BTW righty tighty and left loosy has no mean he keeps turning till it comes off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For those interested I have a son with learning difficulties that can remove any bolt. Just to be clear I said remove....one way or another......as his shop teach found out on a brand new engine he was building.......

BTW righty tighty and left loosy has no mean he keeps turning till it comes off.

I think my wife has the same determination.

I'm having a @#&! of a time with the worm gear assembly on my DH. Some time ago I thought I had freed up all the axis of rotation. I was wrong! The worm gear assembly should rotate as a whole (which it does) but the worm gear should also rotate inside the assembly on a couple of brass bushings (which it doesn't). I have to take the assembly apart. As far as I can tell in order to do this I have to remove a taper pin first. However the back side of this pin is not easily accessible because it faces the worm gear shaft. The pin extends slightly out into a slot in the brass bushing. I managed to push the pin out a mm or 2 till flush with the inner bore but that was not enough to free it entirely. The pin does not stick out enough on the outer surface for me to grab onto it and pull it the rest of the way. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem???

DSC_0013 (3).JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm having a @#&! of a time with the worm gear assembly on my DH. Some time ago I thought I had freed up all the axis of rotation. I was wrong! The worm gear assembly should rotate as a whole (which it does) but the worm gear should also rotate inside the assembly on a couple of brass bushings (which it doesn't). I have to take the assembly apart. As far as I can tell in order to do this I have to remove a taper pin first. However the back side of this pin is not easily accessible because it faces the worm gear shaft. The pin extends slightly out into a slot in the brass bushing. I managed to push the pin out a mm or 2 till flush with the inner bore but that was not enough to free it entirely. The pin does not stick out enough on the outer surface for me to grab onto it and pull it the rest of the way. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem???

View attachment 24292

I have no idea what I'm looking at there. Could you take a few more photos of this pin?

Great progress! Once I pushed the pin out a few more thou it was no longer locking the brass bushing and worm gear in place. Now mostly disassembled!

Sorry I wasn't able to make this problem more clear. My old software I used for adding labels to pictures no longer works on the new windows and I haven't yet found a suitable replacement. In the pic in my previous post you can just barely see the pin sticking out a mm on the upper right hand side of the cylinder that holds the worm gear. At the top of the cylinder you can see the worm gear shaft protruding. The brass bushing is slightly recessed into the inner bore and you can see a couple of slots in the brass transecting the gear shaft. Probably clear as mud?

worm gear2.JPG