• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : this is the beast I made following the instructions and tweaking plans from Bill Penz:

https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cyclone_plan.php

This is a Frankenstein from a 3 Hp busy bee - used the motor and housing. Made the body, cone, exhaust. Works amazing:

D8B9932A-ED2E-42A3-9BBB-61D7412CE2CC.jpeg
No thread high jack but if you wanted to go nuts or if anyone else wants more info I can find my build and start another thread. - and yes it runs smoothly so that that speaker stays put.

You milling anything on that face plate ?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks great @Brent H, I wish I had the space for a bigger unit, I just can't spare it... :(

No slots yet. I think maybe next week I'll start on it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I took some time tonight to carefully grind an HSS lathe tool as I've not been happy with the cheap insert tooling I have.
138291343_512393689725122_6747140099542365787_n.jpg

138317135_401445764482670_6520179005911892824_n.jpg
Put it in a holder, lined it up to centre and proceeded to turn some 1018 and 12L14.
Got a decent finish on the 1018, could take as light a cut as .0025 and as much as .050 with ease. The chips were tight little curls.
138374829_157797312525435_2661728102160706862_n.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice. That's the beauty of HSS, you can alter the cutting geometry to completely change (hopefully improve) the cut and swarf if that's an issue. I admit to becoming lazy & complacent for regular turning. Inserts may well be cheap & that's the root problem. But often they are just wrong for the job/material and/or machine or constraints/speed/feed. But I have also stuck on a very similar insert with different nose radius or breaker profile & gotten great results. Personally I think 'HSS is better than carbide' for hobby machines is largely overblown. Sometimes it just takes some trial & error. Buying offshore stuff with missing or ambiguous specs doesn't help the situation either. I'm pretty much a CCMT & DCMT kinda guy & break out the HSS for special situations or profiles they cant reach. The only trick with HSS is re-dressing & replicating the magic when it wears eventually LOL

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Peter,
I use CCMT and DCMT also. I’ll admit to having cheap import inserts which don’t make me cry if they chip but I’ve never had much luck getting good finishes with them.
I have some Korloy CCMTs and DCMTs on order as I’m curious about the difference between cheap and quality carbide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My 5C collet chuck arrived today.
It’s the same one the Clough42 did a video on. He got decent results.
Took a few minutes to machine the backplate flat and round. Things was like a taco chip, .02 runout on the face, same amount out of round on the register. Thankfully there was enough material to true up the register.
Managed to get it to .00025 runout before I shut the lights off and came inside.
36f3989ec2a5a224a5895984bceffaef.jpg

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Always interested in the procedure used to cleanup registers and surfaces — it doesn’t come naturally to me, even when I see diagrams posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where did that come from? I never see anything new offered with a 1-1/2" - 8 TPI back plate.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Always interested in the procedure used to cleanup registers and surfaces — it doesn’t come naturally to me, even when I see diagrams posted.
I first spun it on the spindle to see how concentric and flat it was. Turned out it wasn't. Nor did it thread on very far because the spigot was almost 3/4" deep.
I chucked in my 4-jaw, spigot facing out. dialed it in off the spigot. I then turned off about 1/2", basically all of the non threaded portion. Then I bored out 1/2 deep so that it would screw all they way to the spindle register. A bit of a chamfer and done.

I unscrewed the 4-jaw so I could try the fit on the spindle. Fit like a glove.
I loosened the 4-jaw and took it off.
Took a facing cut on the area the chuck rests on to get that flat and then gradually eased up to the register dimension with very light cuts and checking the chuck for fit with every pass.
It was a perfect fit on my second pass.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Accusize is kinda goofey that way, they give you a deal and free shipping thru Amazon and pay Amazon to do it rather than being competitive on their own site. I don't get it either.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What do you guys think about Accusize in general? Any good?
I think it depends on the specific item.
Shipping in general is about $15 to the Island from ON so that's not bad considering KBC in Vancouver to the Island is $10 flat up to 50 lbs.

They have what appears to be the same 5C collet chuck and back plate for significantly more dollars.
But the collet set I bought came very well packaged, each collet is in a plastic screw top tube. They are really nicely made, no burrs and I cannot measure any runout.
The only other thing I've bought from them is a tenths DTI and it's pretty good though the bezel is very stiff to turn.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
My QCTP is from them and all the tool holders I have are from them. No issues so far. They seem to resell the same china made stuff as others. I would hope that they might do a more stringent job on manufacturing quality checks since there name is actually on the item, but cannot say for sure on that.