• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm glad brother was very happy with the results, but but I really wanted to go a step beyond a hunk of steel with rounded ends. Like how about super density dampeners made from depleted uranium? Hollow shelled with Internal slosh baffle plates with tungsten powder fill? All I heard was 'radioactive this' & 'border security' that... LOL

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That guy used to annoy me for some reason but his artistic talent and technical knowledge won me over eventually.
I seem to recall that he might have an engineering degree/background.
Their videos are both informative and hilarious.

BMW Rider

Super User
Nice work.
Beemers are definitely a different feeling ride. They are buttery smooth once underway but at idle they do vibrate a bit.
And if you rev it at a standstill there is a pronounced pitch to the right. Less so with the new 1250 engine but the 1200 is a different beast.

My first BMW was an oilhead boxer engine R1100RS. I recall the first time I rode it and experienced the torque twist effect. I rode that bike for 14 years replacing it with an inline four K1200GT. When I got my new R1250RT last year, first ride on it I gave the engine a rev at a stop and felt that familiar torque twist. I giggled a little, it was nice to be back on a boxer.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I had a R1100S there were a few tweaks that increased the power. They were rated at 99 HP for insurance reasons in Europe.
I added a fuel system tuner as well. I really liked the torque twist effect.
r1100s.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Fabricated a GPS mount for the Beemer today.
1/16” aluminum rolled on my rolling machine, cut to fit and powder coated black. 1” Ram ball mount bolted on with a 2” extension.
Low profile and works fantastic.
The GPS is a Umidigi X10 rugged smartphone running the TomTom Go app.
IMG_0960.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg IMG_0963.jpeg IMG_0962.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, I dropped off the development permit application this morning. Now we wait to see if there's questions and if it approved.
Next step will be construction drawings so the builder can give us an estimate.
I have a feeling it's gonna be really expensive so we shall see if we proceed or not.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Well, I dropped off the development permit application this morning. Now we wait to see if there's questions and if it approved.
Next step will be construction drawings so the builder can give us an estimate.
I have a feeling it's gonna be really expensive so we shall see if we proceed or not.
Good luck, hope it works out.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My guess is you're going to discover it's more than your first house cost you. Our first house in Edmonton (650 sq. ft.) back in 1973 cost my mother $19,800 to buy. She used inheritance to do that and then rented it to us at just below market rate while we went to school and at that time I believe minimum wage was $1.35/hour. Years later we bought it from her for $55K and then in 1992 sold it for $88K when we moved to The Netherlands.

I'm going to guess your new shop will cost more than our house sold for in 1992.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My guess is you're going to discover it's more than your first house cost you. Our first house in Edmonton (650 sq. ft.) back in 1973 cost my mother $19,800 to buy. She used inheritance to do that and then rented it to us at just below market rate while we went to school and at that time I believe minimum wage was $1.35/hour. Years later we bought it from her for $55K and then in 1992 sold it for $88K when we moved to The Netherlands.

I'm going to guess your new shop will cost more than our house sold for in 1992.
Jeez, don’t go down that path. Vancouver house in 1975 vs. what it’s worth today? Too bad my income in 2024 isn’t 40x my income in 1975.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
We need a fingers crossed emogi.

We're not expecting any issues with the development permit as we've (the architect and I) have been communicating with the planning dept asking questions to make sure that we're aligned with the Byzantine (inside voice :D ) regs
If we get the development permit, the building permit is basically paperwork.
The biggest unknown is the cost to build.

We have one data point from a build near us by the same builder.
A 23x26 two-story garage build attached to a small bungalow came out at $525K
Some big differences between our build:
- Had to keep the house livable during the build. Our's is a tear down.
- Had to remove and remediate an oil tank so geotechnical firm required. Don't anticipate anything like this.
- They used Hardiplank shingle siding which is more expensive to buy and more labour to install than Hardiplank lap siding we are using
- They sided the entire garage and the house
- Work also done inside the existing house - roughed in a bathroom, reframed some windows, concrete work and framing.
- Reroofed the entire house to match
- Twice the number of windows in the garage and suite
- Vaulted ceilings and skylights
- Concrete driveway which we aren't doing
- Very challenging site access

Now I have to deal with demo costs and hydro to run power to the new building and then to the house.

So we are oping to come in around $350K-$380K

2023 BC building costs for new homes in Victoria seems to run about $350 sq ft. We have ~705 finished sq ft up so that's about $250K

@jcdammeyer Yup... when I moved to Victoria I sold a 3.1 acre property with a 3000 sq ft custom built house with a detached oversize double garage. My mortgage in Victoria was the selling price of the house I bought here. :(

Last edited: