• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer Yup... when I moved to Victoria I sold a 3.1 acre property with a 3000 sq ft custom built hose with a detached oversize double garage. My mortgage in Victoria was the selling price of the house I bought here. :(
This one at 650 sq ft with one bedroom (detached single garage) and $1.35 min wage works out to $2800 per year salary or at 35% of gross income is 980 per year or $82 per month. Without a down payment that's 20 years amortization without interest.

Now min wage is about $15.75? That's $36,750 per year or just over $3K per month. A 35% max mortgage payment works out to $1,071 per month or $250K in 20 years. It's unlikely that little house would go for $250K in today's market if they'd even build a house like that since everyone wants 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, open concept etc..

Oh and no matter what I do that babe keeps showing up in my photos...

1707936509116.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
RantMode := ON;

This is just the whiplash from the 80's where the concept of world wide free trade blasted interest rates through the roof and a friend of mine in North Edmonton went to his bank and told them "We had an agreement. I make payments and I keep the house. I stop payments and you get the house. Here's the keys." His wife had left him. He couldn't make the payments and the house was worth less than the mortgage after the down payment. Screwed his credit rating for a number of years. They had bought the house because the Realtor had told them houses will keep going up. They will never be cheaper than this. Buy now or you'll never be able to afford one. So they ignored our advice to stay in the condo they had bought.

Eventually interest rates did go down. In fact way down as the economy went the wrong way with the "free" market which changed the ratio of highest to lowest income earners as it became possible to employ far east workers for a fraction of locals. Now it's moving back in the other direction.

At the same time this concept of percentage of house sale as commission for the work pushed up the cost of houses. A few years ago before COVID we looked into buying a condo or house in The Netherlands as a vacation home and VRBO. Turns out there you hire a Realtor at a fixed cost for N months. They get paid for doing the work to find you what you want. There is no commission.

Remember if a house is $100K a 5% commission is $5000. If the owner wants $110K which makes the house hard to sell results in an extra $500 commission but may require an extra month of work for a paltry extra $500. Much easier to flip 4 houses in the same time for $20K income. So a Realtor isn't motivated to get you the highest price for your house. OTOH, they want the buyer to pay as high a price as possible to maximize commission for minimal work.

RantMode := OFF;

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dis you take pictures of the whole process? Un-crimp and re-crimp the bezel ring or a new one?
I uncrimped the ring and then recrimped it.
Used a flat screwdriver to lift the edge then a small round punch to gradually open it up more and more. Probably took 45 minutes to open it up enough to come out.
Biggest problem was the knob on the trip meter would not come off.
It was a press fit onto the straight knurled shaft which I could not get off no matter how hard I tried.
Being very aware that I was pulling against the trip meter mechanism I opted to slice the knob off with my utility knife blade heated red hot.

Some gauges have stainless steel rings which are much more difficult to uncrimp. I was lucky that this was aluminum.
I didn’t take any pictures of the process as I was very nervous that I was going to screw up.

Last edited:

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
I am embarrassed by this :oops:
Oh jeeeez Dave . You know what I say on the other site . Rookie ! :D I have to stack machines on machines and then tools on top of all the machines . That's just to clear a trail to get thru the garage and two basements . Sending stuff your way soon !

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh jeeeez Dave . You know what I say on the other site . Rookie ! :D I have to stack machines on machines and then tools on top of all the machines . That's just to clear a trail to get thru the garage and two basements . Sending stuff your way soon !
It has improved slightly.
Will improve hugely if we go ahead with the new shop build.