• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Quick question David. Does your bucket head have a big O-ring where it fits onto the bucket? Mine does not. It might simply be missing!
Just checked and mine does not have any type of sealing ring. In fact the bucket is loose enough to be spun around even when latched on.
That said I expect than when it's switched on the vacuum would draw it tightly closed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just checked and mine does not have any type of sealing ring. In fact the bucket is loose enough to be spun around even when latched on.
That said I expect than when it's switched on the vacuum would draw it tightly closed.

I see. Well I expect I will find mine leaks there. I'll have to see if I can find a big O-ring or a seal of some kind.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The Myford has landed.
70537760663__10351596-694C-4626-A7A4-1554EF0DB806.fullsizerender.jpeg

The stand is a serious item.
Angle iron welded into a rectangle with casters, the 'floor' is a piece of 1/2" plate steel with 4" or 5" x 2" rectangular uprights with braces made from 3/8" x 2" flat bar. Probably weighs 100lbs.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Lots of bucket seals available for free when you take a lid off a 20litre oil pail. We never throw out a pail until it is trashed by some cow. I miss the days of steel 5 gal pails, with real handles not a piece of crappy plastic.

Great point! Pretty sure I still have a few lids. I need to find at least one so I can modify a Bucket the way that @Larry_C9 suggests if I end up needing to go that way.

I save all my pails too. According to my bride, saving pails (and other handy containers) makes me a hoarder. I just wish there was an easier way to clean them.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Quite the machine adventure you have been on wheeling and dealing this is a nice score, the stand would make this machine very appealing to people with space issues.

The Myford has landed.
View attachment 34358

The stand is a serious item.
Angle iron welded into a rectangle with casters, the 'floor' is a piece of 1/2" plate steel with 4" or 5" x 2" rectangular uprights with braces made from 3/8" x 2" flat bar. Probably weighs 100lbs.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
My bucket came from POR when I ordered a floor coating system for my shop floor when it was built. Nice bucket with a good wire handle and a substantial lid.
I wonder if you could go to one of the Cardlocks for a major oil company where they also sell lubrication products and ask them. I was in a Petro-Can cardlock a while back getting some oil and a fellow came in asking about getting an empty 45 gallon drum. They made a few phone calls and before I left there was a drum waiting for him at a different location free to be picked up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here are some detail pics of the Super 7.
I think this is not a Myford rather a Myford clone.
There is no serial number.
There is no cast "Myford" name on the headstock
That said, it is rock solid, runs smooth and quiet, all the gears work. The carriage handwheel needs some attention so I'll have a look at what's going on there.
Countershaft cover.jpg tailstock.jpg apron.jpg threading dial.jpg crossslide.jpg Cross slide 2.jpg change gears.jpg

Attachments

• speed labels.jpg
    speed labels.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 13

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here are some detail pics of the Super 7.
I think this is not a Myford but a Myford clone.
There is no serial number.
There is no cast "Myford" name on the headstock
That said, it is rock solid, runs smooth and quiet, all the gears work. The carriage handhweel needs some attention so I'll have a look at what's going on there.
View attachment 34375View attachment 34376View attachment 34377View attachment 34378View attachment 34379View attachment 34382View attachment 34380
I'm not sure all your pictures are accurate. Maybe just close-ups? Really really close close-ups. My memory tells me a Super 7 looks like this:

6-2-Montecristo-Magazine-Summer-2013-Craft_Page_1_Image_0003.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Oh I hear you... a few years back I briefly toyed with this idea:
Nice.
Back in the day... doing this sort of thing had more possibilities. The large bulk stores and shopping centers were closed on Sundays so it was possible to set up pylons and a starting slot and do autoslaloms. We raced both an MGB and a Datsun 510 dropped with flared fenders and wide wheels.
Now it appears to only require money and can only be done on official tracks. The Calgary group raced on an old air force landing strip north of town. In Edmonton it was parking lots.