DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ordered it with an extra set of filter bags.

I have some pails, but I'll pickup a few extra used ones next time I'm at the farm supply store.

Then I'll clean up the rigid and dedicate it to other jobs. Maybe even bring it to the house and leave it in the garage.

Thanks @David_R8 !
Fair warning, it is not a quiet unit!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Fair warning, it is not a quiet unit!

Good to know. I'll keep a set of ear muffs nearby.

It's not like it's used for long time periods or anything.

I'm looking forward to 5 gal pails of swarf. I currently use two big 50? gallon garbage barrels for steel and aluminium. I could keep using them and just dump into them from the 5 gal pails. For brass and copper and Stainless, I use 2 gal? Office style trash cans.

I'll report back after it arrives next week.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not a bad price, i looked on Amazon and found one for $35 plus shipping, which would put it on par with Home Depot. The small Kubota shop vac i bought for the basement shop works, not real strong. My old Craftsman out in the shop would suck the Kubota inside out. o_O

Tecnico

(Dave)
dang it!! that is such a great idea! I have to get one now!

I was a bit skeptical but it's really good. And it helps me clean up the mess which was always a turn-off for me.

You guys are really good at spending my money........

I've been dragging my Shopvac out to the mill (shop) and back in to the lathe (OK, the tablet is lighter...) I may have to pick up one of these things and sit it beside the mill. I like the fact that it doesn't use a (paper) bag. Some sort of a screen or deflector might be needed to keep the swarf from coating the cloth bag.......I'm not going to use my dust cyclone for the oily stuff, it's more for the sand blaster.

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My Bucket Head arrived. I'm disappointed.

It has very low suction. It cannot clean swarf out of the T-Slots or out from inside and under my vise like my small Rigid does.

The hose it comes with isn't very robust or long enough either, and it doesn't fit my existing attachments that are for that size. The hose is just a 1/4 mm too big. I can jam them on to the very end but I can't get a full insertion.

Noise wise, it's pretty quiet so I think it's a different unit than the one they sell in BC.

I'm going to return it.

But I am totally in love with the multi-bucket approach to collecting swarf so now I'm on the hunt for a better "bucket head" like @David_R8 has.

Mine says 4.8 amps. My small rigid is 7.8 amps. Funny to think maybe Home Depot sells different ones depending on market. They must know that those BC guys are all dirt nazis and need more suck power! It's either that or this one is defective. Prolly the latter, but the amps also tell a story.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My Bucket Head arrived. I'm disappointed.

It has very low suction. It cannot clean swarf out of the T-Slots or out from inside and under my vise like my small Rigid does.

The hose it comes with isn't very robust or long enough either, and it doesn't fit my existing attachments that are for that size. The hose is just a 1/4 mm too big. I can jam them on to the very end but I can't get a full insertion.

Noise wise, it's pretty quiet so I think it's a different unit than the one they sell in BC.

I'm going to return it.

But I am totally in love with the multi-bucket approach to collecting swarf so now I'm on the hunt for a better "bucket head" like @David_R8 has.

Mine says 4.8 amps. My small rigid is 7.8 amps. Funny to think maybe Home Depot sells different ones depending on market. They must know that those BC guys are all dirt nazis and need more suck power! It's either that or this one is defective. Prolly the latter, but the amps also tell a story.
Really? Double check that it’s set up correctly with no restrictions.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Really? Double check that it’s set up correctly with no restrictions.

That was the first thing I checked for too. I couldn't find anything wrong. I can trip the fluid lock by turning it upside down and that clogs it solid but cycling the power opens it again. That suggests it's all ok.

I do have the factory cloth sock filter on it. I should perhaps try it without that.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That was the first thing I checked for too. I couldn't find anything wrong. I can trip the fluid lock by turning it upside down and that clogs it solid but cycling the power opens it again. That suggests it's all ok.

I do have the factory cloth sock filter on it. I should perhaps try it without that.
How’s the output from the out flow?