DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Let the comments about placement begin.

Jez David.....

In the end we should all do what we wanna do. Good on you for doing just that. You will love it.

I keep yakking about where it should go, but I don't even have one on my lathe yet! Worse, yesterday I ordered a gear cutter set which ate into my ability to get a DRO for my lathe. Ya, I'm pathetic.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! Very nice! At the rate you are going, a new shop will be right around the corner again!
At the very least I hope to be able to get my head in the door and look at all the toys even if I can’t get inside
:D
In all seriousness, selling the oxy rig freed up a bunch of space and cleared a big liability worry from my mind.

The sandblast cabinet is in hopes of powder coating and anodizing.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
More DRO progress.
Tapping holes to mount an aluminum spacer plate for the read head.
Compared to tapping holes in the cast iron of my Taiwanese mill this Clausing cast iron is like tapping steel. Very very tough stuff.
IMG_0017.jpeg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
More DRO progress.
Tapping holes to mount an aluminum spacer plate for the read head.
View attachment 34284

I've had a few chances to use the Starret Tap Wrenches I got on Kijiji after reading about yours and seeing the comments. They are just like a good indicator holder. Once you use one you never want to use any of the old ones you used before again.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've had a few chances to use the Starret Tap Wrenches I got on Kijiji after reading about yours and seeing the comments. They are just like a good indicator holder. Once you use one you never want to use any of the old ones you used before again.
I completely agree.
Because of the tight quarters I had to pull the handle off every 1/2 turn. I was sort expecting a Crescent wrench experience where I’d have to loosen and tighten the wrench every time.
Nope, I just tightened it to a slip fit and it stayed like that for the whole job. Amazing tool. Absolutely worth their price.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How’s the output from the out flow?

It's actually quite good. In fact I was surprised at how good it was given the low suction.

I removed the bag. It was much better but still not enough to clean up under a vise.

I think there must be some leakage somewhere because the output is higher than the suction would suggest it should be. Almost like the bucket seal is poor.

Good suggestion to check the blower side.

Thank you!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's actually quite good. In fact I was surprised at how good it was given the low suction.

I removed the bag. It was much better but still not enough to clean up under a vise.

I think there must be some leakage somewhere because the output is higher than the suction would suggest it should be. Almost like the bucket seal is poor.

Good suggestion to check the blower side.

Thank you!
I wonder if a foam filter would be a better choice for our purposes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder if a foam filter would be a better choice for our purposes.

Right now I'm thinking why filter at all. I'll have to look at how the air enters and leaves, but I would think any metal would just fall out. I prolly would not use it on grinder dust cuz that can't be recycled anyway.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Right now I'm thinking why filter at all. I'll have to look at how the air enters and leaves, but I would think any metal would just fall out. I prolly would not use it on grinder dust cuz that can't be recycled anyway.
Good idea. I can’t see swarf getting sucked into the fan as it’s too heavy.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Use it once with any dust/grit (rust, scale, dirt etc) that is light enough to get sucked into the motor/bearings and your vacuum will soon be toast.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Use it once with any dust/grit (rust, scale, dirt etc) that is light enough to get sucked into the motor/bearings and your vacuum will soon be toast.

No worries. I have a regular filtered vacuum for all that.

The whole idea (for me anyway) is not about cleaning up. It's about collecting metal swarf for recycling. I plan a different pail for each kind of swarf.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Did you guys see my post #14 in the Shop Vacuum for swarf thread? It works very well and all you need is a bucket with a lid a few plumbing fittings and a second vacuum hose. I have been using it for years with very good results. It will occasionally plug up in the elbow going into the bucket if you try and suck up too much swarf at once but is easy to clean by pulling the intake hose off while it is running and stick a long screwdriver in to free the stuck swarf. I had occasion to open the vacuum the other day to clean it up for another job and found just a little dust and a few fine bits of aluminum that came right through to the vacuum.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you guys see my post #14 in the Shop Vacuum for swarf thread? It works very well and all you need is a bucket with a lid a few plumbing fittings and a second vacuum hose. I have been using it for years with very good results. It will occasionally plug up in the elbow going into the bucket if you try and suck up too much swarf at once but is easy to clean by pulling the intake hose off while it is running and stick a long screwdriver in to free the stuck swarf. I had occasion to open the vacuum the other day to clean it up for another job and found just a little dust and a few fine bits of aluminum that came right through to the vacuum.

I may yet do that Larry.

In the meantime, I spent several hours testing the Bucket Head Vaccum as @David_R8 has suggested.

I have discovered that it is still blowing lots of air from the exhaust even when the intake is fully closed off. That means there must be a leak. I'm thinking that it's the bucket seal. It's hard to determine just where it is though.

Im going to guess that the suction will never equal what my Rigid Shop Vac can do though. So an, interim bucket cannister like you propose might be in the cards for me regardless.

We will see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good idea. I can’t see swarf getting sucked into the fan as it’s too heavy.

Quick question David. Does your bucket head have a big O-ring where it fits onto the bucket? Mine does not. It might simply be missing!