• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Doing a whole lot of lathe research...
Looking at the following:
Sherline 4400
Taig
Craftex CX706
Craftex CX701
Weiss WBL290F (same dimensions as the CX701)
Weiss WBL250F (same dimensions as the CX706)

Conclusions:
Sheline and Taig are interesting and definitely meet the "I need a lathe with a smaller footprint" criteria but in the end I feel they will be too small.

Pricing on the Weiss WBL290F is attractive at $1879USD. Shipping is a cool $959USD.
Add in a 4-jaw, steady and follow rest and faceplate for $228USD to match the CX701 specs list and it's $4150CDN, basically the same price as the CX701 without the benefit of a Canadian warranty.
Bizarrely, the WBL250 is more expensive at $2000USD. Same shipping cost, though the 4-jaw, steady and follow rest and faceplate are less at $185USD. Total is still a shocking $4253CDN which is basically $1000 more than the CX706.

The CX701 is attractive but I need some actual on the ground footprint measurements Yes, this means you @PaulL ;)
So that puts me in the CX706 camp. With maybe enough left over to pick up a CX600 or KC-20VS mill at some later date.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Doing a whole lot of lathe research...
Looking at the following:
Sherline 4400
Taig
Craftex CX706
Craftex CX701
Weiss WBL290F (same dimensions as the CX701)

Conclusions:
Sheline and Taig are interesting and definitely meet the "I need a lathe with a smaller footprint" criteria but in the end I feel they will be too small.

Pricing on the Weiss WBL290F is attractive at $1879USD. Shipping is a cool $959USD.
Add in a 4-jaw, steady and follow rest and faceplate for $228USD to match the CX701 specs list and it's $4150CDN, basically the same price as the CX701 without the benefit of a Canadian warranty.
Bizarrely, the WBL250 is more expensive at $2000USD. Same shipping cost, though the 4-jaw, steady and follow rest and faceplate are less at $185USD. Total is still a shocking $4253CDN which is basically $1000 more than the CX706.

The CX701 is attractive but I need some actual on the ground footprint measurements Yes, this means you @PaulL ;)
So that puts me in the CX706 camp. With maybe enough left over to pick up a CX600 or KC-20VS mill at some later date.
Given what you had I think you would be disappointed with a Sherline or Taig.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Agreed... I'm not a modeller. Though some of those engines are amazing. So never say never...
The late Jack Churchwood had a Sherline and to be able to cut threads had a FROG fitted to it. This was equivalent to the electronic gearing units now built with Arduino's. I used Jack's Sherline to fine tune threading algorithm. with my ELS and dealing with an under powered DC motor that changed speed when you crossed your eyes and touched your nose while turning something. Here's a photo of the FROG.
DSCN3830.JPG
I miss Jack.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Come on over and poke it. This evening works, or Monday.

Paul

trlvn

Ultra Member
Craftex CX706
[...]

The King KC1022-ML is also a 10X22 inch lathe but doesn't have power cross feed. That eliminated it for me.

If you can afford just a slightly bigger footprint, you might want to look at the Modern CQ6128X66A which is an 11X26 inch lathe. The big negative to me was that spindle speeds are changed by flipping belts and it only has 6 speeds (from 150 to 2400 rpm).

I'm sure you've also looked at PrecisionMatthews.

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The King KC1022-ML is also a 10X22 inch lathe but doesn't have power cross feed. That eliminated it for me.

If you can afford just a slightly bigger footprint, you might want to look at the Modern CQ6128X66A which is an 11X26 inch lathe. The big negative to me was that spindle speeds are changed by flipping belts and it only has 6 speeds (from 150 to 2400 rpm).

I'm sure you've also looked at PrecisionMatthews.

Craig
Thanks Craig, PM is kind of off the list because of the exchange rate. The PM1022is nearly $4000CDN before shipping. I have asked for a shipping quote just so I can be sure.

I hadn't looked at Modern but I'll have a closer look. Thanks!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Craig, PM is kind of off the list because of the exchange rate. The PM1022is nearly $4000CDN before shipping. I have asked for a shipping quote just so I can be sure.

I hadn't looked at Modern but I'll have a closer look. Thanks!

You sure you wanna buy new?