• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That's great you found supply. Just as background (I am no expert) JST stands for Japan Solderless Terminal. And behind that are multitudes of types & subtypes with specific dimensions & other standards. So when you hear someone say 'use a JST' that's like saying 'use a nut'. More data required. Where things got all twisted up at least in RC/hobby stuff I'm more familiar with is offshore suppliers made knock-offs that deviated from the standards. Sometimes it was QC & sometimes seems like they just don't care. Could be materials or pin diameters, housing dimensions, associated wire gauge.... Because they are often unmarked or marks don't correspond to more established standards you don't really know what you're getting other than an eyeball test. So then it became a game of buy the deviant because it better fit my existing deviant.
I’m a complete neophyte in the world of connectors.
The board manufacturer said get this type and this crimper and you’ll be golden.
Seems that I’m accumulating electronic related tools at a fast pace.

I’m a complete neophyte in the world of connectors.
The board manufacturer said get this type and this crimper and you’ll be golden.
Seems that I’m accumulating electronic related tools at a fast pace.
The key word is "Tools". The one with most tools when they die is the winner.

Last edited:
20210717_094703.jpg
20210717_094809.jpg
I might not have much for electronic tools, but I do have a crimper..... :rolleyes:
If someone sees this and absolutely can't live any longer without one..... I might be able to help you out some, hopefully you know more about it than I do.......:p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty sure that every budding electronics enthusiast needs one on his bench........;)
When I was doing telecom work in the US we had hydraulic crimpers to install the lugs on the DC power plant cabling. Massive stuff, like 1.5" diameter stranded copper, Burndy lugs if I recall correctly.
Crimper like this:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For anyone following along at home I made the very difficult decision to sell my mill and lathe.
Simple fact is that I don’t use them and they take up a lot of space in my small shop.

Sold in a day for almost my asking price to a fellow from Vancouver.
Sent me a 10% deposit which is in my bank account. Last I heard from him was yesterday morning when he said he was checking ferry schedules.
Pinged him this morning asking if he knew when he might come over to pick up the machines.
He read the message but no response.
So odd.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
For anyone following along at home I made the very difficult decision to sell my mill and lathe.
Simple fact is that I don’t use them and they take up a lot of space in my small shop.
I was surprised you were selling them. Kind of thought that maybe you'd found something more suitable.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

Sold in a day for almost my asking price to a fellow from Vancouver.
Sent me a 10% deposit which is in my bank account. Last I heard from him was yesterday morning when he said he was checking ferry schedules.
Pinged him this morning asking if he knew when he might come over to pick up the machines.
He read the message but no response.
So odd.
That stinks

I emphasize because I may be faced with similar decisions within the year, but as one of my neighbours has suggested, maybe it’s a catalyst to move to better things

(meaning ‘Berta *coughs*)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That stinks

I emphasize because I may be faced with similar decisions within the year, but as one of my neighbours has suggested, maybe it’s a catalyst to move to better things

(meaning ‘Berta *coughs*)
It's a tough decision to make.
We live in a smallish house, 1000 sq ft and need some more space. Housing here is insane; a 3bd/3br on a city lot is $1.2M - 1.4M. I'm less than 10 years from retirement and we don't want to take on a big mortgage.
So our choice is to renovate our house to improve the functionality and maybe add to the garage depending on funds.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess it just kind of feels like you are leaving the metal working community.:confused:
I hear you....I'm not going anywhere...I see a small lathe in my future. maybe a 10x22 like @SomeGuy has. The problem with my machines, particularly the lathe is the massive footprint because of the horizontal drive.
I'm not selling any of my welding gear or brake, might sell my oxy rig just because again I don't use it and the fire hazard is too big.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Prioritizing and Culling is a Bit…!!
Work with your space and determine you ’real’ needs.