DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well the power feed is complete save for the collar on the end of the lead screw.
I 3D printed the grey cover for the gear.
Works great!
5ee69bba4d2d9d2ed5f462af0bae6fd2.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Can you post an image of the overall installed as it sits on the table please? How far to the left does it extend past the end of the table? I'm really tight for space on the left hand side and am wondering if this would work for me.

Thanks,

Craig

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was cranking the left and right, back and forth today, and thinking of you @David_R8 :rolleyes:

I think I have to look at adding some motorage to my machine

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was cranking the left and right, back and forth today, and thinking of you @David_R8 :rolleyes:

I think I have to look at adding some motorage to my machine

I haven’t used it to mill but I can tell you that cranking that table was getting real old fast.
It was a dead easy project on my mill.
I think it would have been several times more difficult had I stuck with the plan to mount it on the right side.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David_R8 ,......I have a Sieg X3, small by the standards I see on these machining forums. Adding motorization, and even CNC to them though is well documented on the web. As much as I have had it for a while, I have not used it much but now with more time on it, my mind is starting to drift,.....motor on at least X and Z axis, DRO, ......mmmmmmm slurp...... :D

Posts like yours are inspiring....thank you!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a Sieg X3, small by the standards I see on these machining forums. Adding motorization to them though is well documented on the web. As much as I have had it for a while, I have not used it much but now with more time on it, my mind is starting to drift,.....motor on at least X and Z axis, DRO, ......mmmmmmm slurp...... :D

Posts like yours are inspiring....thank you!
Happy you found it inspiring!

If I’m not mistaken Pragmatic Lee did a video on the X-axis power feed that he built for his X3 mill. Really slick design.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A 3 axis DRO on a mill is a must have as far as I'm concerned.

Yup. Definitely agree.
Here’s a pic Craig
It’s 6.5” from the end of the table to the top of the handle.
4.25” from the edge of the table to the side of power feed housing.
It takes up less room than the handle did.
99ea47a215dcf3361bf442f1b5c9a0d4.jpg

e5165284232c1d41aa7cc7e4915ee374.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Brent H now I can slot the faceplate!
I couldn't afford the physio bill that would come with cranking the mill table that much :p

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This would work for me. What dia is your lead screw on the LH side?

Did you end up covering over a gitz oiler on the LH side lead screw support casting? I assume you ended up drilling and taping the support casting correct?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
[mention]YYCHobbyMachinist [/mention] oddly there is only an oiler on the right side bracket.
I don’t know the diameter but I’ll measure it for you.
I did drill and tap the bracket. A couple of 1/4-20 SHCS.