• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I can teach you to rumba, cha cha, waltz, foxtrot, jive and tango. And the nice thing is for a very brief time we become HWMBO.

I put that out there just for you. Glad you took the bait.

My wife and I took ballroom dancing around our 10th anniversary and thoroughly loved it. I could never get the rumba right though - hence my choice of bait.

We went to Australia (damn autocorrect) Austria about 40 years into our marriage and danced to a live orchestra in a huge ballroom in Vienna. It was an amazing experience. I've never forgotten it and prolly never will.

I love to dance. Most of all I like to Polka. I love to make my partner fly!

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

My wife and I took ballroom dancing around our 10th anniversary and thoroughly loved it. I could never get the rumba right though - hence my choice of bait.

We went to Australia about 40 years into our marriage and danced to a live orchestra in a huge ballroom in Vienna. It was an amazing experience. I've never forgotten it and prolly never will.

You can make your dance partner fly from Australia to Vienna? Remind me never to arm wrestle you.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

We went to Australia about 40 years into our marriage and danced to a live orchestra in a huge ballroom in Vienna. It was an amazing experience. I've never forgotten it and prolly never will.

We were walking around Berlin along the river Spree now a number of years ago. Across from Museum Island like in so many places the path had a fence on the river side and cafe's on the other side of the path. As we rounded the corner there was a wooden dance floor. And there were people dancing. Next thing you know my wife drags me onto the floor and there we are doing a waltz, Nikon D800 with long lens dangling, my wife's handbag dangling. She was in Berkenstocks, me in running shoes.

We saw the sign in the middle of the floor about 4 euros per person and kept dancing to the other end of the floor and got off. Then watched a while. Came back the next evening to watch Argentine Tango (we can teach you that too if you want ;) ). Then the night after it was Salsa. And finally the night before we left they had regular ballroom again. This time both in running shoes and no camera or handbag. We had a great time. Same dances everyone else did. A whole range of levels from beginner to quite expert.

The a tiny bit of the Argentine night is recorded here:
Hard to believe that was 2016. Seems like yesterday.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Not a bit John. I just like turning the hand wheels.
Firing up my CNC router is still mildly terrifying. I make air passes on every job so there's no possibility of crashing into anything.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a CNC mill but not at the expense of a manual mill.
What you don't get, with the current set of CNC style MPG's (Manual Pulse Generators), is any sort of feedback. Turning a handle that is directly on an ACME lead screw that changes in 'feel' when the cutting load increases is where expert metalworkers really shine. I'm not one of them.

One would have to actually have the MPG knob turn a DC motor that is on an encoder. As the actual motor driving the lead screw experiences more load that could be fed back to create resistance in the driving MPG motor.

But that information doesn't really exist for most motor controllers and certainly not for stepper motor based systems.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What you don't get, with the current set of CNC style MPG's (Manual Pulse Generators), is any sort of feedback. Turning a handle that is directly on an ACME lead screw that changes in 'feel' when the cutting load increases is where expert metalworkers really shine. I'm not one of them.

This is what I was describing earlier. But I'm certainly not an expert. Nor do I think you need to be. I don't think it takes much time at all to learn to feel the feedback/resistance/chatter. In other words, to know when the cutting process is happy.

I do think it takes time and practice to learn to do the etch-a-sketch thing. And in particular to learn to work with the backlash on the fly!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You can make your dance partner fly from Australia to Vienna? Remind me never to arm wrestle you.

I thought your comment was funny just as is. But @thestelster just pointed out the typo to me, and it's even funnier now! I do love this forum. You guys crack me up! Autocorrect bit me in the butt on that one! I've fixed the original post. Prolly should have just left it though. So I decided to fix it with pseudo tracked changes instead! :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And my NOS Bison chuck arrived straight from 1979.

Nice snag!

I love the chuck! I love reversible jaws. Mine is like that too. Easy to make a fixture to grind the Jaws if you need to.

Why do you say 1979? Is that one of those pallet chucks that sat on a pallet for 42 years?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You guys are horrible. This thread made me buy a chuck I didn't really need. But none the less I can't wait for it to arrive.
I suppose I can convert my old one to work on the rotary table now.
Did you get it from HH Roberts?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
You guys are horrible. This thread made me buy a chuck I didn't really need. But none the less I can't wait for it to arrive.
I suppose I can convert my old one to work on the rotary table now.
As Homer Simpson would say, “there’s no such thing as a chuck you don’t need. There‘s just a chuck you don’t need yet”

Meleon

Jamie
I did get it from H.H. Robert’s wish I’d had known about them several years ago, because I since spent way more on backplates and lessers chucks than what they offer. When I spook to them Wednesday they mentioned that also have a 5” bison in a 1 piece jaw. ie separate internal and external jaw.
I suspect it won’t be long before I order the 4 jaw as well.
Jamie

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I did get it from H.H. Robert’s wish I’d had known about them several years ago, because I since spent way more on backplates and lessers chucks than what they offer. When I spook to them Wednesday they mentioned that also have a 5” bison in a 1 piece jaw. ie separate internal and external jaw.
I suspect it won’t be long before I order the 4 jaw as well.
Jamie
Unless I can fix my 4-jaw I'll be getting one of their 4-jaws as well.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What's wrong with your 4J?
In their correct locations two of the jaws are impossibly tight; it take two hands to move the chuck wrench.
If I swap those for the jaws that are free moving, the free moving jaws are as tight as the others and the formerly tight jaws are fine in the other locations.
I have a feeling that the pinions on the tight locations are too close to the surface of the chuck so there is not enough clearance between the pinion and the jaw threads.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
In their correct locations two of the jaws are impossibly tight; it take two hands to move the chuck wrench.
If I swap those for the jaws that are free moving, the free moving jaws are as tight as the others and the formerly tight jaws are fine in the other locations.
I have a feeling that the pinions on the tight locations are too close to the surface of the chuck so there is not enough clearance between the pinion and the jaw threads.
I can't figure out how to remove the pinions.
I'll post some pics in a bit.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
"Most" 4j have dowels that are pressed in from the back and need to pressed (tapped) out from the front. If you remove a jaw you should be able to get a punch down between the pinion and the casting to tap it out. Work from both sides to tap it out evenly.
Getting the clearance between the dowel threads and the pinion when you put it back together can fun as the dowel is pressed back in.