• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

A few in progress pics.
The plan is to basically frame the flat roof like a floor so it will get rim joists down the two sides then 2x bottom plates on the top to provide a nailer for the birds mouth cuts on the rafters.
IMG_1496.jpegIMG_1498.jpegIMG_1497.jpeg

Last edited:
End of day one.
They reused the old 2x8 fascia boards as the rim joists which was super smart and saves a bit on material costs.
Tomorrow they plan to build the temporary support walls, remove the old beam and with luck install the new LVL beam.
IMG_1500.jpegIMG_1501.jpeg

Powerline adapter works great!
Even with a sub panel in the mix.
Ethernet and wifi access point.
https://a.co/d/cgqTBkF

Subpanels don't usually cause problems unless you inadvertently switch to the other side of the 220 circuit.

I confess that I am REALLY IMPRESSED by the measured performance of that power bridge. I wouldn't have guessed that it would perform that well. Nor would I have guessed that you could get one with so many features (Wifi, 1G Ethernet, Mesh, etc.)

You could have full surround video screens on all your walls as well as a simulated table saw scream from California with that kind of bandwidth.

I wonder what happens when you run a welder or an unfiltered VFD in your shop?

I'm gunna bookmark your post for the day the point to point wireless bridge to my shop craps out.

Subpanels don't usually cause problems unless you inadvertently switch to the other side of the 220 circuit.

I confess that I am REALLY IMPRESSED by the measured performance of that power bridge. I wouldn't have guessed that it would perform that well. Nor would I have guessed that you could get one with so many features (Wifi, 1G Ethernet, Mesh, etc.)

You could have full surround video screens on all your walls as well as a simulated table saw scream from California with that kind of bandwidth.

I wonder what happens when you run a welder or an unfiltered VFD in your shop?

I'm gunna bookmark your post for the day the point to point wireless bridge to my shop craps out.
I’m honestly surprised that it works so well. Easy peasy setup and a pretty cheap solution.

Just got back from an inspection of the @DavidR8 rebuild of his shop roof. Looking really nice.
Good news! It will be at least a couple of weeks before he can start building stuff in there at a rate far faster than the rest of us and making us all feel slow and dopey.
Of course once he's all finished with the reno he'll likely go zooming by us all at 42 times faster than before.
Sigh...

Just got back from an inspection of the @DavidR8 rebuild of his shop roof. Looking really nice.
Good news! It will be at least a couple of weeks before he can start building stuff in there at a rate far faster than the rest of us and making us all feel slow and dopey.
Of course once he's all finished with the reno he'll likely go zooming by us all at 42 times faster than before.
Sigh...
It's definitely going to be a while before I'm back up and running.
I've basically pulled all the wiring out so I'm going to take the time to re-do it with 20A outlets. There will be ceiling lights installed so that's a plus.
I talked with the framer before you arrived and I'm quite chuffed about the storage. The max height will be about 56" at the peak, no collar ties inside as they are unnecessary since the floor is tying the walls together. I'd guess that I'll have about 350 sq ft of usable storage. :) :) :)
There will be a 32" W x 38" high door in the gable end. And a folding staircase inside near the overhead door end. :)

Back