• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Two more shop projects knocked out today.
Added a cap screw to my live center so it ejects from the tailstock. The cap screw is a tad long as I lose about 1/4" of tailstock travel. Not that I've ever come close to needing all of the bed length. I'd need a follow or steady rest first...
IMG_8303.jpeg

I bought this 6" jointer about 2 years ago. Didn't come with a blade guard though so I never used it.
Decided today was the day to make a guard. Used CAD (Cardboard Aided Design )to develop the shape of the guard then transfered the shape to a chunk of 1/2" ply. Cut to shape on the bandsaw and then cleans up on the belt sander.Turned down a length of aluminum for the pivot, left a boss on the end so it could pivot on the top of the table and slit the end of it to catch on the tension spring. Tapped it for an M6 SHCS and bored shallow hole in the underside of the guard, added a hole for the cap screw and a bit of red paint for safety :)
Then grabbed my belt sander with a 3M purple woven belt and shined up the tables. A bit of paste wax and it's ready to go.
Just need to fabricate a chip collection chute.
IMG_8304.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One more, and along with collector status, you can dedicate one to a wire wheel as well. I think I am up to 6 now due to deals I couldn't pass up. Lol.
I also have a 6" Makita 'rat tail' handle grinder but the guard is MIA and NLA. I'd like to press it into service for heavy work but I need to make a guard.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Found this basically new Makita angle grinder for $60. Now I can dedicate one to cutting and one to grinding.
View attachment 23627
I think you live on island of deals! Or maybe you're building your own island of deals? Nice find. While you certainly can find any old grinder for less than that, I'm going to guess for a new makita like that one you probably saved 80%. I bet it will be a very nice grinder to use.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you live on island of deals! Or maybe you're building your own island of deals? Nice find. While you certainly can find any old grinder for less than that, I'm going to guess for a new makita like that one you probably saved 80%. I bet it will be a very nice grinder to use.
I keep a hawkeye out for certain items and I have alerts setup for things I really want.
Also picked up a Makita RT0701C palm router tonight for $80. Needs a new cord so feels like less of a deal but I picked it up because I wanted a small router instead of my 1.5 hp Porter Cable.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Seem like today was pick up material day.
Paid $20 for an 8ft length of 2"x3" tube on 10"tall risers that was used as a skateboard ramp thing.
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 3.30.20 PM.png
I also need to build some more garden fences so I moseyed out to a weld fab shop that was selling off stock.
Picked up 35 20 ft long pieces of cold rolled 1/4" rod for $117.
I previously thought I did OK with $60 for 10, 10 foot lengths from MSM.

Also picked up some 3/4" hot rolled round, 1.5" round and some short lengths of 2" .125 wall tube to go with the 2"x3"make a new mill base.
@YotaBota The place is Mainline fabrication on McDonald Park Rd. They are selling off all their steel. $1/lb. A literal shedload of shorts, structural steel, solid round and square stock.
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 3.32.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 3.33.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 3.34.07 PM.png

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
David,
How long have you been stockpiling drops ?
Have you compared the accuracy of the digital to the vernier mic ?
You can confirm them if you have a confirmed test block.
How are the DROs working ?

I have a digital 1" mic that is 0.00001" it is great for checking standards for the for the cheap 2" 0.0001" Mic.

I bought the 1" one as I plan on making some custom cutters.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
After working in my reconfigured shop I came to the conclusion that the configuration that worked on paper, didn’t work in reality.
So I spent the day moving the mill and lathe, swapping them into the spots previously occupied by my tablesaw and other woodworking machines.
Now I can easily access my saw which was previously a real bear to use.
The saw used to live along this wall and I would swing it out to use it. Problem was that I couldn’t get by the thing. Plus I had no way to use the dust collector so it made a hellacious mess.
So now the mill and lathe are on this wall.

68e0ae34c8a9b893f2c891b9bd5335ed.jpg
I like the lathe table!