• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David,
How long have you been stockpiling drops ?
Have you compared the accuracy of the digital to the vernier mic ?
You can confirm them if you have a confirmed test block.
How are the DROs working ?
Oh that's not my shop... that's the place I went to today that was selling material for a dollar a pound :)

I had my Starrett calibrated when I had it serviced. It measures all my 123 blocks at exactly 1.0000 and the vernier agrees with that. Pretty happy with that for $25.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the DROs yet as I'm getting set to reorg my shop. Again. I bought casters for my lathe bench so I'll be able pull it out and work on it from the back to do the Z axis scale.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Oh that's not my shop... that's the place I went to today that was selling material for a dollar a pound :)

I had my Starrett calibrated when I had it serviced. It measures all my 123 blocks at exactly 1.0000 and the vernier agrees with that. Pretty happy with that for $25.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the DROs yet as I'm getting set to reorg my shop. Again. I bought casters for my lathe bench so I'll be able pull it out and work on it from the back to do the Z axis scale.
Good choice !!
Keeping units easy to move gives you versatility and makes life easier.
I have been checking out metal depots and fab shops for ‘drops’ around their cutoff saws. When I was Sales Manager at a large fabricator there were always leftovers from lengths of bar stock around the saws. ($1/# would be OK these days)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A bit of an update on my shift from horizontal bandsaw to portable bandsaw. I bought a King 5x5 saw with the associated horizontal cutoff table.
Saw generally works great, putting it on the table takes maybe a minute depending how many time you drop the cap screws.
The blade that comes with the saw is junk so I bought a set of 10/14 and 12/14 blades.

One thing that I noticed is that the tires on the hubs are not consistent thickness so the saw frame flexes a tiny bit with each blade revolution. I spoke to my local KMS store manager who promptly sent an email to their King rep.
They may replace the saw or simply give me a new set of tires.
If they are unresponsive, the wheels are the same size as Milwaukee saws so I'll just pick up a set of those tires.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Couple of projects started:
1) Started a new base for the mill. The existing base has legs that are 24" wide at the base and 12" wide at the top. I want to put a cabinet with drawers under the mill so with the existing base the cabinet could only be 12" wide. Yesterday I cut up the 2"x3" tube rail from post 273 into 27" long pieces to be legs for a new 24" wide mill base. I have some 1.5" square tube for stretchers. Going for maximize space utilization!

2) Tonight started cutting out pieces to make a flip top cart to hold my oscillating sander on one side and my planer on the other side. Used my table saw and track saw. Great combination for breaking down sheet goods!
(I bought the plans from Fisher's Shop)
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 8.53.12 PM.png

I love old books that relate back to the same type of interests that I have in our so called modern society, like taking large bulky pieces of metal and transforming them into pieces more suited to smaller projects prior to starting over..... The home handyman has been around for a long time. :cool:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I love old books that relate back to the same type of interests that I have in our so called modern society, like taking large bulky pieces of metal and transforming them into pieces more suited to smaller projects prior to starting over..... The home handyman has been around for a long time. :cool:
Oh me too. We have some rare books in our collection and I've been fortunate to put my hands on a Shakespeare first folio... Way cool.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Seem like today was pick up material day.
Paid $20 for an 8ft length of 2"x3" tube on 10"tall risers that was used as a skateboard ramp thing.
View attachment 23877
I also need to build some more garden fences so I moseyed out to a weld fab shop that was selling off stock.
Picked up 35 20 ft long pieces of cold rolled 1/4" rod for $117.
I previously thought I did OK with $60 for 10, 10 foot lengths from MSM.

Also picked up some 3/4" hot rolled round, 1.5" round and some short lengths of 2" .125 wall tube to go with the 2"x3"make a new mill base.
@YotaBota The place is Mainline fabrication on McDonald Park Rd. They are selling off all their steel. $1/lb. A literal shedload of shorts, structural steel, solid round and square stock.
View attachment 23878
View attachment 23879
View attachment 23880
Well, there's a stop for me on Friday. I have another small load going to the cabin, and that's right near!

LenVW

Premium Member
Excellent flip-top !! Great space saver !!
Where are your dust collector inlets ?
You might plan on vacuuming around, before you ‘flip’ your lid !!
Nice build though, very robust and the plywood is a strong dampener.
Looks good David !!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Excellent flip-top !! Great space saver !!
Where are your dust collector inlets ?
You might plan on vacuuming around, before you ‘flip’ your lid !!
Nice build though, very robust and the plywood is a strong dampener.
Looks good David !!
Both have ports although the one on the sander is a bit weak so I may move it to a place on the table. The planer one works great.

LenVW

Premium Member
You know it’s Springtime when the garden centre trips become bi-weekly.
My wife likes to fill the backyard with colour. It is our summer entertaining space.

David, if you were closer, I would be ordering some of those fencing sections.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You know it’s Springtime when the garden centre trips become bi-weekly.
My wife likes to fill the backyard with colour. It is our summer entertaining space.

David, if you were closer, I would be ordering some of those fencing sections.
Thanks Len, I've barely made a dent in the pile of 1/4" rod that I bought. I likely still have 50 10' lengths left. At this point I'll have fencing for the whole yard!