• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

made a duckboard for the lathe

Never heard that term. I like the chip slots. I have an antifatigue mat with no holes that a machine shop was pitching. I'll be interested to hear how your duckboard works over the long term.

Never heard that term. I like the chip slots. I have an antifatigue mat with no holes that a machine shop was pitching. I'll be interested to hear how your duckboard works over the long term.

Old machine shop I dealt with had duckboards in front of every machine. Shop was in an old net shed in a shipyard, dirt floor. Lots of rats, many feral cats. Duckboards allowed us to avoid some of the cat poop, seems like the felines preferred to empty themselves on the dirt. I guess it was the safest way to avoid splinters up the exit port.

Imagine what this shop smelled like in hot, humid July days. Just off the Fraser River, downstream of a sewage treatment plant, floor covered with a robust layer of previously digested and leftover rat refuse, cutting oil, and ancient creosoted timber walls.

We briefly had a duckboard at the big lathe, but it was a constant source of fighting between guys. Like everything back then..... It didn't last long. Very comfortable walking and working on, but made the already too low lathe even lower for me. Traded foot pain for back pain. Rubber mats are a great compromise for added height and cushion. Duckboards are comfy though. A couple guys still have mini ones for their mills made from pallets.

I don’t think so? By above my pay grade I meant above my knowledge/ability level :)
The Fiberpunk unit was so easy to install. The only thing I had to do was plug in two usb cords, insert the MicroSD card adapter and modify the config file on the included MicroSD card so that the device would connect to my home network.
I bought one of these Fiberpunk units to add remote job upload and control to my printer. First one failed immediately. They replaced it quick and without quibble. Second one worked for a several months (since March). The screen started screwing up and now I can't upload anything to it. Junk. Kludgy web interface. I'd give it minus stars if possible. Waste of time and money.

Is there an alternative? I don't want to go down the raspberry pi build rabbit hole - I'm completely uninterested. I want to print not start project 43. I just want reliable and fast printer upload and control. Some googling, etsy, amazon, has not revealed any one building a raspberry pi octoprint plug and play solution. Anybody got an option?

Ideally $100. I could buy the MK3S+ upgrade to MK4. well...It's expensive and I have a MK4 and the remote upload is like 14.4K Modem speed. Seriously. I can sneaker net to the printer in far less time.

Last edited:
I bought one of these Fiberpunk units to add remote job upload and control to my printer. First one failed immediately. They replaced it quick and without quibble. Second one worked for a several months (since March). The screen started screwing up and now I can't upload anything to it. Junk. Kludgy interface. I'd give it minus stars if possible. Waste of time and money.

Is there an alternative? I don't want to go down the raspberry pi build rabbit hole - I'm completely uninterested. I want to print not start project 43. I just want reliable and fast printer upload and control. Some googling, etsy, amazon, has not revealed any one building a raspberry pi octoprint plug and play solution. Anybody got an option?
My screen is also going wonky but seems to be still working fine. I'm sorry you had a bad go of it.

Played around with the lathe today trying to sort out why I had so much belt slip.
Bought a B30 belt for the motor to countershaft connection. That definitely helped, I suspect because of the increased contact area over an A series link belt.
Then I remembered that that was tension mechanism that served to pull the motor down against the belt.
Reinstalled that, brought it up to tension and presto, no more belt slip and now it’s reaching spec rpm across all the pulley combinations.
And it’s quieter too.
Happy days.

Let us know how the lathe runs in reverse -- with the threaded chuck, not often used, but... I hear that link belts are pretty much unidirectional, but for polishing it is sometimes helpful...

Back