• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Darren's active projects

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I thought I built a cutting power calculation spreadsheet one upon a time based on what I assumed were the classic equations. I finally found my old Excel sheet but looks like I was interested in grinding power requirements, which is different. Anyways I had this Metal Cutting Theory link saved. On ~page 18 they do a lathe calculation. (Grinding starts on pg-47 of you're interested).

This isn't the online source I was thinking of because I distinctly remember 'diameter' as being one of the inputs as in above link. Maybe they package the input variables differently, I haven't dug into it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No ice to break (which is a good thing right now)...:(

Don't count on that to save you Brent.

My daughter and her clan came here on boxing day. They came down with the virus a few days later and all of them tested positive. The grandkids are doing worse than the adults because they are not vaccinated.

Right on schedule, it looks like I have a mild case 5 days later. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, cough, sore muscles, runny nose, and throbbing headache. Good thing I'm triple vaxxed.

Hopefully it won't get worse, but I'll have to isolate for 5 days after I'm clear.

That prolly means lots of time for the forum and machine research and after I feel better hopefully some free time in the shop.

Did you ever post a photo of the shop on board the ship there? Might be fun to see.

The Canadian navy took me and a few others from Windsor out for exercises on a frigate in Lake Huron 15 years ago or so. The ships engineer took me on a personal tour of the ship during the trip out. I don't remember a machine shop of any kind. So yours has me most curious.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Don't count on that to save you Brent.

My daughter and her clan came here on boxing day. They came down with the virus a few days later and all of them tested positive. The grandkids are doing worse than the adults because they are not vaccinated.

Right on schedule, it looks like I have a mild case 5 days later. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, cough, sore muscles, runny nose, and throbbing headache. Good thing I'm triple vaxxed.

Hopefully it won't get worse, but I'll have to isolate for 5 days after I'm clear.

That prolly means lots of time for the forum and machine research and after I feel better hopefully some free time in the shop.

Get better soon!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
They do come in handy, I also unloaded my surface grinder with it, using a similar setup. It was only 1700 lbs though.

I've got one of those - great little machine. Mine came out of a high school....the kids try hard to round the corners off but they use the machines very lightly. I think the grinder sat gather dust for most of its tenure.

Its roller table and should be removed for transportation......the road hammers the bearings

Happy new year all!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got one of those - great little machine. Mine came out of a high school....the kids try hard to round the corners off but they use the machines very lightly. I think the grinder sat gather dust for most of its tenure.

Its roller table and should be removed for transportation......the road hammers the bearings

Happy new year all!

I bought the grinder online, in Barrie. My inlaws live there. I asked my brother inlaw if he could pick it up and store it for me until i could get there. He said sure, no problem. I asked if he had a way to haul it and unload it. Yup, he had a trailer and a beam in his garage and a come along. I went over all the details, removing the table, etc. Should be no problem. Well it turned into a huge fiasco. He had a light duty C-tire trailer that broke when they tried loading it, so it ended up in the back of his truck. He couldn't unload it because his truck was too tall to fit in his garage. So it ended up in his truck for 3 weeks, and i had to listen to him bitch about it and threaten to bring it to a scrapyard. We finally met up in Sudbury (12 hour drive for me, each way) and drove around for a while until we found someone at the Cat dealership who would lift it with a loader and put it in my truck. So it turned into a huge ordeal. I took the table off, cleaned everything, and its in good shape. I need to get new meters for the oiling system though.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@dfloen All the Bijur meters were completely gummed up in the surface grinder I bought. I'm dragging my feet on the repair, as the first set had incompatible threads, so next time I'm going to replace the manifold, and all the fittings in one go, instead of trying to save a few pennies.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@dfloen All the Bijur meters were completely gummed up in the surface grinder I bought. I'm dragging my feet on the repair, as the first set had incompatible threads, so next time I'm going to replace the manifold, and all the fittings in one go, instead of trying to save a few pennies.
Yes, mine is the same. Oddball british metric of some sort. I want to add an electric auto oiler, like i have on my mill, so i don't have to think about it. They are cheap enough.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I bought the grinder online, in Barrie. My inlaws live there. I asked my brother inlaw if he could pick it up and store it for me until i could get there. He said sure, no problem. I asked if he had a way to haul it and unload it. Yup, he had a trailer and a beam in his garage and a come along. I went over all the details, removing the table, etc. Should be no problem. Well it turned into a huge fiasco. He had a light duty C-tire trailer that broke when they tried loading it, so it ended up in the back of his truck. He couldn't unload it because his truck was too tall to fit in his garage. So it ended up in his truck for 3 weeks, and i had to listen to him bitch about it and threaten to bring it to a scrapyard. We finally met up in Sudbury (12 hour drive for me, each way) and drove around for a while until we found someone at the Cat dealership who would lift it with a loader and put it in my truck. So it turned into a huge ordeal. I took the table off, cleaned everything, and its in good shape. I need to get new meters for the oiling system though.

The things we do for love.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The things we do for love.

Ain't that the truth.

I had been searching for an Emco V13 Lathe for a long time. Last Feb, I stumbled across 3 of them for sale on Govdeals, in Ohio. I guess I forgot how far Ohio is from Thunder Bay, I bid on all 3, won one of them, and drove 48 hours round trip. Halfway there I was like "WTF were you thinking?!" "Never again" ......... Then this 10ee. 12 hours in a heavy snowstorm. And i'm sure I will do it again. Its a sickness i tell ya!

@Mcgyver "Its roller table and should be removed for transportation......the road hammers the bearings"

I had no idea! I had been thinking of getting a surface grinder for some time and was worried about lift points. Didn't realize there could be other issues as with the table! I guess there are differences between makes and one should get the appropriate manual and read up first.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Mcgyver "Its roller table and should be removed for transportation......the road hammers the bearings"

I had no idea! I had been thinking of getting a surface grinder for some time and was worried about lift points. Didn't realize there could be other issues as with the table! I guess there are differences between makes and one should get the appropriate manual and read up first.

This is also why vehicles are not tied down so tightly that they cannot move in transport by rail, truck, & ship. If they cannot move, the wheel bearings take a beating. The process is called brinelling and results in a noisy bearing that must be replaced. It is better if the vehicle can move around a bit so the bearings move and the suspension takes the pounding instead of the bearings.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had originally thought i'd use this method for converting the 10ee to run on single phase:

then I thought I would just build a 10-15hp RPC so i'd have it for other machines if needed. The cost of shipping a motor and related parts to build an RPC is going to get expensive, and i still have work to do to convert from 440 to 220v.

The first method is only 100 for parts, so i'm going to try that first. Just ordered caps and the relay.

Might still build the RPC later.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is also why vehicles are not tied down so tightly that they cannot move in transport by rail, truck, & ship. If they cannot move, the wheel bearings take a beating. The process is called brinelling and results in a noisy bearing that must be replaced. It is better if the vehicle can move around a bit so the bearings move and the suspension takes the pounding instead of the bearings.
Man that's hard to imagine that a vehicle on rubber tires would have problems with the wheel bearings like that. ? I ain't saying it ain't so,...just that I don't buy it.

Man that's hard to imagine that a vehicle on rubber tires would have problems with the wheel bearings like that. ? I ain't saying it ain't so,...just that I don't buy it.
Out west here, they used to say the bearings were box-car'd. It's certainly what I was taught in trade school.... As I was told, the bearings didn't get enough movement to replenish the grease between the bearing and race accelerating the wear at that point.