• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Daily Shop Improvement

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I think if the charger is an inverter type, then the led's might not draw enough. Try putting an incandescent light (old headlamp, 1157 bulb?) across the connections to the led bar, see if that resolves it. Like computer supplies, iirc, there needs to be a min draw for the inverter to work. In a battery charging application, the battery sinks enough current to satisfy that.

Guessing...
Adding in a headlight didn’t help. I just scrapped a junk battery the other day too. Guess I’m putting up with the blinking
Thanks fellas

Chicken lights

D345C24F-6884-4DEE-AD18-3B141460AF4E.jpeg E7C3C0FF-4F89-49B8-86BF-36588277B8A3.jpeg
Today we learned that’s a “fillister” type screw head, compared to a pan head.
0.060” skinnier than the pan head. One fits in the light the other sits proud. I was gonna redneckery make the pan head fit but they were 25 cents each to buy new, in stainless even

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Adding in a headlight didn’t help. I just scrapped a junk battery the other day too. Guess I’m putting up with the blinking
Thanks fellas

I dunno if that's a good plan. It assumes the charger works. Putting up with a blinking light on a charger that doesn't work is prolly not a good idea. Unless you already know that it works, I'd recommend a little more testing. When are you headed Chatham way next?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I’ve finally got into cleaning out my whole shop. I have removed all the metal I have from my garage bay/shop, and now I am trying to think the best way I could store it back inside in a much more organized manner and save as much room as possible. I have come up with some good ways to store my rods, tube, bar, and and angle iron, however I also have quite a few large metal sheets and plates that take up most of my space. the best way to save space would be to build or buy a shed; but until that happens I need to store it inside my shop.

Chicken lights

I dunno if that's a good plan. It assumes the charger works. Putting up with a blinking light on a charger that doesn't work is prolly not a good idea. Unless you already know that it works, I'd recommend a little more testing. When are you headed Chatham way next?
Not for awhile, dispatch making noise about an oversize to PEI next week

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The junk battery I had went for scrap, I’d have to find another one to test this
Can we take a step back on all this?

What is the total expected current draw of the LED lights at 12V?

Have you access to a large filter capacitor from an old S100 computer power supply? They had 12V so the caps would have been rated at 16V. You'd have to condition it before trying it since it's old but it could fake out the charger.

Alternatively if you have a small 12V AC adaptor and a blocking diode you can put that across the LEDs (with the diode in series so the charger doesn't force current into it) and that voltage may 'fool' the charger into thinking there is a battery there.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Have you access to a large filter capacitor from an old S100 computer power supply?

S100 Computers. Now there is a trip down memory lane! So cool! I bet I still have a/d d/a and a plethora of control boards for the S100 system. Amazing capability even in today's context because bloatware didn't really exist yet!

@Chicken lights - if you need big capacitors like that, I'm sure I have lots to choose from.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We are _not_ going to make this a competition:eek:
hmm nobody has mentioned paper tape yet. :p jacquard loom control anyone ?
This is much earlier than I realized. 1804!

iu

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
hmm nobody has mentioned paper tape yet. :p jacquard loom control anyone ?
This is much earlier than I realized. 1804!
Well now. Back in the late 70's working at Bowtek Electric in Edmonton first introduced to the National Semiconductor Basic SC/MP kit. And programmed with paper tape... Teletype for I/O.
Didn't last long. Moved to S100 Z80 with my own design wire wrapped S100 48K memory board and a dual Persci 8" floppy drive.
Used it to try and build a robot arm with my little DB-200 Unimat Mill/Drill. All before computer control of any hardware.
So very long ago...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well now. Back in the late 70's working at Bowtek Electric in Edmonton first introduced to the National Semiconductor Basic SC/MP kit. And programmed with paper tape... Teletype for I/O.
Didn't last long. Moved to S100 Z80 with my own design wire wrapped S100 48K memory board and a dual Persci 8" floppy drive.
Used it to try and build a robot arm with my little DB-200 Unimat Mill/Drill. All before computer control of any hardware.
So very long ago...

My first programing experience was in 1st year engineering in the mid-late 70's. We card punched Fortran code.
When I worked for PanArctic Oils, drilling reports were paper tape punched and transmitted to Calgary via a Teletype machine.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I *finally* threw out all my paper tape a couple of years ago. Focal, Basic, FORTRAN and PDP11 binaries.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I confess I threw out my S100 system box in the last move. I did keep a few boards. No idea why. And I kept a few programs I wrote, not so much because I might run them, but rather because of the ideas and methods they contain.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Never did do a PDP11. PDP8 yes. PDP10 at Uni. in 4th year for computer graphics course. First year Algol-W on punch cards, APL on special terminals on IMB370. Next year terminals on the Amdahl 470. First home monitor a converted 12" TV and a 64x16 TV Typewriter board. Even accounting for the relative dollar difference the ascii keyboard for that cost more than a Raspberry Pi4 does now.

Chicken lights

Can we take a step back on all this?

What is the total expected current draw of the LED lights at 12V?

Have you access to a large filter capacitor from an old S100 computer power supply? They had 12V so the caps would have been rated at 16V. You'd have to condition it before trying it since it's old but it could fake out the charger.

Alternatively if you have a small 12V AC adaptor and a blocking diode you can put that across the LEDs (with the diode in series so the charger doesn't force current into it) and that voltage may 'fool' the charger into thinking there is a battery there.
I’m measuring 220-240 K ohms on one circuit, of six (now working) lights

That seems like a lot of ohms, but not a lot of amps?