Daily Shop Improvement

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
C1A5EB19-D38C-4C76-96F4-6BC7D54C8B95.jpeg A5EB3487-860E-45C0-B782-78D374BCDAF4.jpeg Picked up a cheap bottom box tonight, I’m gonna move the rest of the fabrication tools out of the main tool box, I’m out of room. Isn’t it cute?:D

Had a local machine shop clearance the number 3 tap handle. A 3/8” NPT tap wouldn’t fit by just a hair. What’s annoying is the smaller tap handle was designed that way, wonder why they wouldn’t do that on all the handles?

If anyone has any suggestions for tool drawer liner material that won’t let tools slide around, I’m all ears. I ordered a grid lock system to try out for my wrench drawers but it hasn’t come in yet. They supposedly make an awesome tool box drawer liner but I haven’t heard if we can get it up here yet

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
View attachment 17813View attachment 17814Picked up a cheap bottom box tonight, I’m gonna move the rest of the fabrication tools out of the main tool box, I’m out of room. Isn’t it cute?:D

Had a local machine shop clearance the number 3 tap handle. A 3/8” NPT tap wouldn’t fit by just a hair. What’s annoying is the smaller tap handle was designed that way, wonder why they wouldn’t do that on all the handles?

If anyone has any suggestions for tool drawer liner material that won’t let tools slide around, I’m all ears. I ordered a grid lock system to try out for my wrench drawers but it hasn’t come in yet. They supposedly make an awesome tool box drawer liner but I haven’t heard if we can get it up here yet
Some people use that shelf/cupboard liner stuff. I know people with travel trailers really like it for dish cupboards. I'm not sure how it would stand up in a tool box tho?

Chicken lights

Some people use that shelf/cupboard liner stuff. I know people with travel trailers really like it for dish cupboards. I'm not sure how it would stand up in a tool box tho?
I can check at a Home Depot? I’d like it to not be slippery, which the cheap tool box liners are

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
We had a futon mattress that came with a rubber-ish anti-slip sheet to stop it from sliding, and an area rug we bought also came with one. You can buy this stuff in bulk sheets (5x5, 6x9, 10x10) (all feet) which I find more economical than the cupboard stuff. Sample amazon link below. I've never bought that brand but you can get the idea.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mockins-Preve...cphy=9001288&hvtargid=pla-1144254108847&psc=1

trlvn

Ultra Member
I can check at a Home Depot? I’d like it to not be slippery, which the cheap tool box liners are
I used shelf liner from Bed Bath & Beyond! My wife gets 20% off coupons all the time and it turned out to be on sale as well. It was 16 inches wide which was a pretty good fit for the drawers of my chest.

Craig
(Trying to cut straight following the row of bubbles was weirdly difficult. Made my eyes swim!)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The material I used was a rubber anti slip liner from Princess Auto #8058424. Unfortunately it's no longer listed. At least not under that number. Too bad. It's perfect. Don't remember what I paid for it. Probably too much but it's nice for placing tools on. I can supply a photo if someone wants. I'd also check IKEA. They might have something.

Chicken lights

I used shelf liner from Bed Bath & Beyond! My wife gets 20% off coupons all the time and it turned out to be on sale as well. It was 16 inches wide which was a pretty good fit for the drawers of my chest.

Craig
(Trying to cut straight following the row of bubbles was weirdly difficult. Made my eyes swim!)
I’m not positive I’ve ever stepped foot in a Bed Bath and Beyond.... :D

trlvn

Ultra Member
I’m not positive I’ve ever stepped foot in a Bed Bath and Beyond.... :D
It worked out to about half the cost of Canadian Tire or Home Depot, so...

Craig
The profit margin on "Shelf Liner" must be enormous. It is the same stuff that is produced by the hectare for carpet underlayment--just cut and packaged differently.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Try Canadian Tire. This is what I have used. You have to cut it to fit. Mine doesn't slip nor do they stick, nor does it stain my tools. I've been happy with it for 10 years now.

It's about $15 for a roll.

Chicken lights

Since we're all home for the forced time off - I'm going to try to make one shop improvement every day. Please feel free to post your own good ideas too.

I already posted about the band saw out feed fence. But I have another one which is easy to post. I made a simple wrench holder for the drawer since the ones at PA are simply ridiculously priced. A quick sketch in Fusion and I printed up a few of them.
169BB929-E29F-42A9-A3E0-218A8BEE36C5.jpeg Could you print something like that, but with a deeper throat?(widen the gap)

Chicken lights

Cleaned up my imperial wrench drawers today, using a new system. It’s a bit fussy but I think after having it for awhile it’ll grow on me. No I don’t need two double box end sets but ones made in Canada and a big set. 5A96D936-67AA-4673-95B5-DD13A8F1A8C2.jpeg 292B7D8F-BE33-488D-9B87-5E9E8909C20F.jpeg F4F50E07-0571-4721-8B99-08F8117B1069.jpeg 12C081CF-AE97-430B-839E-84883AC353D2.jpeg A0DE7409-1526-4435-8E6F-D1EF83081B1F.jpeg

Attachments

• 696602E2-C774-40A7-8AC9-3DEB9A4E1366.jpeg
    696602E2-C774-40A7-8AC9-3DEB9A4E1366.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 4

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Good job Dave....man, I cringe when i think of what you must have thought of the condition of my shop/tool box's compared to yours... in my defense, if everything was to be put back where it belongs i wouldn't be able to badger the "boss" if I can't find something she may have used. (she never has but why miss an opportunity at badgering eh).

Chicken lights

Good job Dave....man, I cringe when i think of what you must have thought of the condition of my shop/tool box's compared to yours... in my defense, if everything was to be put back where it belongs i wouldn't be able to badger the "boss" if I can't find something she may have used. (she never has but why miss an opportunity at badgering eh).
Nah, no judging here, my actual shop is a disaster right now, I need to clean up big time before winter really sets in

I’m not a married man....but badgering the hand that feeds seems....unsafe? I guess you’ve survived this long with the “boss” you know the limits :D

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I don’t have anything for a file. How would I get you a cad model?
Where did you find that part? is it a wrench holder? If you can get a cad file or maybe the .STL file then changes could be made to it. You can PM it to me if you can locate it. Otherwise it would have to be drawn up from scratch.