Colchester Student $3500 Calgary

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@equinox123 I wish you the best on the sale of your lathe, the ASSume machine was going pretty good here in this sensitive situation for you the fact is you have a great machine and it will get a good dollar the value is there. If you have any questions or want any advice please ask knowing the members here they will want the lathe to go to a good home.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@equinox123 - sorry for your loss and if you took offence to any of my replies.

It is great that folks enjoy hobbies and pastimes in the spaces they can afford and are available. Moving heavy machines against (and even with) gravity is not fun. My comments are based on a ton (pun intended) of heavy lift moves and fitting large parts into small areas.

The more you use the equipment in “your space” the more desensitized you become to the way it got there. - Yes, the gear has a value and more and more I am becoming aware that the value also has to be determined by the ease of access. A $50k diamond on top of Everest that takes 40k to retrieve? - either it’s a 90k diamond at the end or a 10k to start and finish ….

I just repeated the exact same post that calgaryguy did up the thread and I did not notice it. I did not read the whole thread, sorry.
My suspicion is that either a) the machines have been sold cheap and someone flips them and we'll see them back on the market, or b) same as tom said - the seller hasnt taken kindly to teh scrutiny we've given the presented scenario and has taken them off the market for now and we'll see them reappear in a while.

What I am 75% confident of is: 'if someone has actually made an offer at above 65% of the asking price for the machines the offerer has either a) badly underestimated the work required to remove them from the basement or b) places no value in their time and effort'. I further suspect that the risks to the home havent been properly taken into account; What happens when a 1960's set of stairs collapses under the weight of a 1000+ pound chunk of cast being winched up the stairs. Or the landing at the top of the stairs. Or who knows what. I've done enough work in residential construction framing as a youth to know that no residential floor was designed to carry 1000+ pounds in that little square footage

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Well, after all the trouble I went to moving my relatively light (700lb?) lathe into the basement, I think a week+ of time for both machines is definitely reasonable.

Hope the machines went to a good home!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@calgaryguy there is no need to be disrespectful to @equinox123 - he is free to ask anything he likes, and if someone pays more than you think it is worth, well good for him.

I've moved half a dozen machines on residential landings, so my experience is far from theoretical. because of the short joists, they can be quite strong. In Bert's move we moved a 1,00 lb base and a 1700lb grinder, with no groans. Now I know what to do, so if you assume a lack of knowledge, well, then damage to the landing is possible by making mistakes..

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with @Dabbler, I have moved a fair amount of big steel into residential and wooden framed buildings, 500-2000lb pieces with small foot prints (1-2 carts, 4;casters each), the flooring system has rarely been a concern (however always considered)

The stairs however could be a concern....easily rectified with a trip to armor (or whattever scaffold company is in your area) and rent a shoring post for each step

It's not an impossible task, but it would require some planning, preparation, and at least one other hopefully skilled guy, definitely all the work involved needs to be considered in the asking and final sale price

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The stairs however could be a concern

@phaxtris on the Bert move thread, you can see 2 - 2X10's on the flat to help on the stairs. What you could not see is that 40 years ago I reinforced the middle of the stairs with 4X4s securely fastened to the stringers. with the angle, and the span, the 2X10s were strong enough to carry the entire 1700 lb loads.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The stairs however could be a concern

@phaxtris on the Bert move thread, you can see 2 - 2X10's on the flat to help on the stairs. What you could not see is that 40 years ago I reinforced the middle of the stairs with 4X4s securely fastened to the stringers. with the angle, and the span, the 2X10s were strong enough to carry the entire 1700 lb loads.

There is that prep work, you obviously looked at it and came up with a plan...one that didn't require you to shore or re-enforce every time

I wouldnt trust a set of stairs sight unseen to take 1000lbs however, not every carpenter over the years builds stairs the same, and chances are 1000lbs ends up more like 1200lbs+ as a guy has to climb around the item, or stand on a top step...or whattever other manner of manuevering of the piece has to happen mid lift