• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Colchester Student $3500 Calgary

Same seller has a bridgeport for $5000. Both are in the basement of a house.

277183685_4589048991201083_1659403947786166439_n.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah, good luck getting that price. They are in a basement of a house. Ask the seller whatever removal of item is included in the price.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
" Seller must remove"? that makes it easy.
Ask how he got it down there or is it a walk out basement (wishful thinking lol)

Ask how he got it down there or is it a walk out basement (wishful thinking lol)
My thoughts exactly..... They went down, and they'll weigh the same coming up. With out seeing it, I would have to think access isn't too bad, as one has to feed these machines as well and both are capable of working some fairly large pieces. This could actually work into a pretty good dual purchase for someone looking for an upgrade.... Once you are set for the one machine the other should be easy. Rent a hiab or whatever is needed if the deal warrants it.
Not having Facebook, I have no idea what is included, just saying that I wouldn't necessarily let the basement be the problem, in fact, if you don't mind the sweat equity, the basement could be an asset.....
My favorite expression when going for big things is that you just have to be smarter than the metal you are working with....:D

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I simply asked the person about basement situation. If it is not walkout and if Dabbler is any indication of what is required I would not be shocked to see price reduced to almost free. Heck if its not walkout and he would hire a moving company it would be free or he would have to pay $$$ extra to get rid of them.

Nothing much is included with the machines - few other things for sale of I remember, like surface grinder.

I have a feeling this was sold with the house.

I simply asked the person about basement situation. If it is not walkout and if Dabbler is any indication of what is required I would not be shocked to see price reduced to almost free. Heck if its not walkout and he would hire a moving company it would be free or he would have to pay $$$ extra to get rid of them.

Nothing much is included with the machines - few other things for sale of I remember, like surface grinder.

I have a feeling this was sold with the house.
If you are correct about it coming with the house, a good deal might be had.... I would still be surprised if access was terribly difficult, as who wants to be packing 100+ pound work pieces up and down stairs.... If the work was small, I would think that a little mini lathe and mill would have been sufficient.
Hopefully someone here will look into it and report back.
I know that at our house, we refer to my shop being in the basement, but really it is on the ground floor, and we mostly live upstairs.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The guy I bought my Myford from also had a bridgeport for sale (one of the most beautiful one's I'd ever seen, he bought it new, and it still looked like it). He had them all craned into the basement of his house as they were building it. We were talking about the struggle he had taking it apart and building a sled etc to bring it up the stairs and he said "I really thought it was going to be someone else's problem" lol. Wife wanted to move from the country "forever" house, and she won.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just checked and verified, you need to transport it up stairs. So I think fair price for the lathe is closer to $1500 maybe less. One would have to inspect the stairs. But I assume one would need to pay for any major damage caused. Given lathe size I expect it would need to be de-assembled, and moved piece by piece, i.e. lathe bed, headstock etc. Probably two days or so to disassemble it, at at least 3, to 4 days to re-assemble it. And you better know how to re-assemble it properly. So with move we are talking about a week++ worth of work. This is a project for someone who does not work.

Same for the mill, but I feel it would be easier to put together - still probably a week as well.

I would talk to Dabbler. He has experience in these things. It took him like a month to move multiple machines from basement. They used things like windows if I remember correctly.

Moving company quotes started at $10,000 and went up from there - again Dabbler is the source.

One would have to scope the stairs to have better idea. Current prices are for machines that can be easily had - i.e. like in a garage or ground floor.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I wonder how much for the house with both machines included :p

Not sure, seller indicated it was "his dad's" so I am unsure as to whatever house is for sale. Seller did not know how they got down there. It does feel a bit like estate sale, maybe?
If someone is interested they can go there and ask, scope out stairs etc. I fear Dabbler would need to be hired as consultant.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Removal issues aside. It is a very nice lathe. Back in the day I volunteered at the aerospace museum. They had a Colchester Student. I liked it alot.

Whats that bridgeport weigh fully assembled? 1500?

EDIT: Interwebs says about 1900lbs for a 32" table model give or take a bit.

Last edited: