Colchester Student $3500 Calgary

The more I read on the 'round ram' Bridgeports the more I'm inclined to not try and do a deal. They are ok machines, but given how old they are and the price premium the owner wants I'm thinking it may be best to pass. I'll still go and take some pics if/when he gets back to me for the forum.

Gearhead88

Super User
The common denominator in this entire discussion is the basement location being the biggest hurdle , followed closely by the price. I would never burden my family with a problem like this , that and I never understood the reasoning behind setting up a basement machine shop equipped with full sized machinery . Just sayin ……..

The common denominator in this entire discussion is the basement location being the biggest hurdle , followed closely by the price. I would never burden my family with a problem like this , that and I never understood the reasoning behind setting up a basement machine shop equipped with full sized machinery . Just sayin ……..
I find it difficult to understand as well, but constraints in terms of money, room, etc can lead people to do what they personally think is necessary. And I'm not talking about basement shops with sub 750lbs toolroom lathes and mill/drills either - I think we are both talking about 1500+ lbs lathes and mills. Large machinery in the basement is doable for sure, but its important to have a actual plan to get them out of there. No offense intended to anyone in this circumstance.

You need an 'exit plan' for everything. I have a spreadsheet with serial numbers and descriptions and 'guesstimate' kijiji prices of all the > $200 items in my shop (or most of them anyways, its always a few kijiji purchases behind) for my wife if 'anything happens' to me. I have a couple of 'buddies' whom I trust to assist my wife with the disposal of said gear who also have a reasonable idea what things are worth or can use their 'kijiji-fu' to make some accurate guesses on prices.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If its a round ram and in the basement offer to take it for free. Round rams are old, used up and their value outside of basement is very low - maybe in "good" (this is relative to machine type) condition its 2500. Maybe 1500 given good condition is rare and more common is "beat up".

You can ask Dabbler to price things out - maybe I am crazy. But round rams are not exactly "hot".

I have a strong feeling this ad is up for a year for a very good reasons.

Oh haha, I didnt realize it was a year old.
I had seen the surface grinder ad numerous times over the past year however.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Even as a 10x20 it seems pretty steep for a used import machine. I sold my minty Parker Majestic 6x18 for $1200

Gearhead88

Super User
I find it difficult to understand as well, but constraints in terms of money, room, etc can lead people to do what they personally think is necessary. And I'm not talking about basement shops with sub 750lbs toolroom lathes and mill/drills either - I think we are both talking about 1500+ lbs lathes and mills. Large machinery in the basement is doable for sure, but its important to have a actual plan to get them out of there. No offense intended to anyone in this circumstance.

You need an 'exit plan' for everything. I have a spreadsheet with serial numbers and descriptions and 'guesstimate' kijiji prices of all the > $200 items in my shop (or most of them anyways, its always a few kijiji purchases behind) for my wife if 'anything happens' to me. I have a couple of 'buddies' whom I trust to assist my wife with the disposal of said gear who also have a reasonable idea what things are worth or can use their 'kijiji-fu' to make some accurate guesses on prices.
I need to do some preparation toward an exit plan , my sweetie and I have discussed the potential complications of properly dispersing the toolage & assets but nothing formal . I would never expect her to figure it out on her own during a stressful time . Luckily I don’t have a basement full of old iron .

Perry

Ultra Member
I would ever ask someone their business like that. If I can come to a arrangement with him on a reasonable price and removal circumstance for the BP then cool. Otherwise I'll walk away with zero issues.
Chris, I don't think of asking someone if they are the executor is a negative or in sensitive thing to do. Possibly you may be the answer they are looking for. I am presently the executor of an estate and in the process of clearing out a house that must be empty by May 5th.

A couple of cold calls were a god send for me. I'm happy. They are happy.

Maybe just try asking them if they have a date that they would like to see the machines out of the basement. This may be a starting block to the full situation they are up against. There is a lot going on for an executor, but dealing directly with them is going to be the best approach. Just my thoughts.

Chris, I don't think of asking someone if they are the executor is a negative or in sensitive thing to do. Possibly you may be the answer they are looking for. I am presently the executor of an estate and in the process of clearing out a house that must be empty by May 5th.

A couple of cold calls were a god send for me. I'm happy. They are happy.

Maybe just try asking them if they have a date that they would like to see the machines out of the basement. This may be a starting block to the full situation they are up against. There is a lot going on for an executor, but dealing directly with them is going to be the best approach. Just my thoughts.
I've reached out to the seller and conversed online with him - I would have tried speaking to him and even gave him my number for him to call but he stuck with online comms. He specifically stated he wasnt interested in anyone trying to get the lathe and mill 'at a bargain price'. The ads, as Tom Kitta pointed out, have been up for a year already and I very strongly suspect thats because he's wanting a premium for his items regardless of where they are. My guess, based on the convo I had with the seller, is that he'll either find someone to buy the items at a negotiated small discount off his current price or he'll get to 'crunch time' when he wants to sell his house and someone will 'stumble' across a good deal. I lost interest when I figured out the Bridgeport was a 'round ram' model and the implied dollars he will want (based on our direct convo) will be too much for that particular machine. This isnt my first rodeo buying used equipment...

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have assisted in a couple of estate situations and its not uncommon for someone in the family to be over-exuberant on values of stuff, they have been told for years by the "old guy" what that stuff is worth "in his eyes" which is often overstated to justify the purchases in the first place to "SWMBO".

An extreme example of this was my daughters FIL when he passed. The old guy was an international trap shooter on the Canadian team and his shotgun purchases reflected his skill...Olympic models of Italian quality. He had claimed those guns were 7-$9,000 each at the time of his demise....of course the widow had that figure in mind and was adamant , that because her husband said so it was gospel. I drug those shotguns to every gunshow in AB. for 4 yrs before she would believe me that nobody in Canada was interested in those guns at his price...they ended up selling for $950 & $1100.....I think this tool sale is much the same, the guy selling the stuff now has no inkling of the real value.

I respect the sellers opinion of the machines current value. Too much for a 'round ram' Bridgeport for my pocketbook. There might be good value in the lathe with a starting point of 3500 and some implied willingness on the sellers behalf to 'adjust' based on the effort/cost required to remove from the basement.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Sorry for being late to the game.

Firstly the biggest piece of *that* particular Bridgeport mill is about 1000lbs. reinforced stairway is a must, and that costs $$$.

There is no positive negotiation with the seller possible. On this one I'd give them a business card with 600$ for the mill and 1000$ for the lathe, and walk away.

The mill is about 4 hours to disassemble - with a crane - and the lathe will need about 6-7 hours, again with a crane.
With a winch, and if the pull is straight, it will take about 8 hours to get all the heavy pieces out.

In a garage, for sale, that particular mill is good for 1800-2000$ MAX, and the lathe about 2200$., Actual out-of-pocket costs to move them both would be around 1000$, and the value of that move is over 4000$, so the prices I'd offer would be a gift, not a business proposal.

I have looked at 4 round ram mills in my time, and they do not age well. It is not worth the sweat equity to disassemble it and reassemble it.

The lathe shows promise, but there is easily 2000$ of sweat equity disassembling the lathe, reassembling and realigning the headstock.

I was quoted $10k to move the lathe out of Bert's basement. I got 3 estimates to move the mill out - all were "no bid" as it was too much risk. (!!)

About bloody time you showed up dabbler. ;)

> Firstly the biggest piece of *that* particular Bridgeport mill is about 1000lbs. reinforced stairway is a must, and that costs $$$.

If it was my house I'd rent a mini-medium sized excavator(350/day), dig a deep hole at an existing basement window, have a concrete wall saw company come in and cut a doorway below the window (prolly $1000 YYC prices), haul the gear out that way, and then repour a wall under that window (another $1000 or so) and fill the hole back in. I know a competent rigger could do it up the stairs cheaper.

Last edited: