Colchester Student $3500 Calgary

It says that the add is a year old. Eventually I would offer 1500 for the pair and see how badly they want them out of there.

Brent H

Ultra Member
If you gotta move it out of the basement: better be light if it has a high cost or cheap if it’s heavy. Ian’s lathe was heavy but it was a clean (ish) exit.

Small table bridge port with single phase motor - old style with pulley speed change, chromed ways - 2000 lbs assembled. Torn down and out the door - base and turret/knee is the biotch. $1200 max.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah, I may offer $1,000 for the lathe. I just don't want to offend the seller. Not sure about the milling machine, maybe 2000? If someone goes there they may do a report on how it all looks like. Again, I do not want to low ball the guy by a factor of 2 or more.

Yeah, I may offer $1,000 for the lathe. I just don't want to offend the seller. Not sure about the milling machine, maybe 2000? If someone goes there they may do a report on how it all looks like. Again, I do not want to low ball the guy by a factor of 2 or more.
If I can get the seller to call me back I'll take whatever pictures/measurements I can.

Seller contacted me back on facebook. He's been swamped with interest, but wants someone he can 'work with' to get it out of the basement but not let them go for a song. He specifically said 'Im not going to bother with someone offering me $3k for both of them'. Lol. I told him I wouldnt be able to have any sort of idea of what kind of offer I could make on the BP until I saw the situation in the basement. I mentioned the BP is ~1900lbs and even broken down into its 5-6 major components we're still talking about 350-500lb pieces being moved up a set of stairs (likely).

Seller said he'd contact me later this week or early next to setup a visit.

Looking closer at the pic of the Bridgeport in the FB ad, it seems to be a 'round ram' model similar to this:

256854d1558357585-value-bridgeport-round-ram-please-photo-3.jpg

My understanding is that the 'round ram' models arent as desireable as later dovetail turrets - they have potential twisting issues not all that different than RF-30/40 round posts (a twist in a different plane however). Its also going to date it to WWI or shortly after.

Thoughts?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looking closer at the pic of the Bridgeport in the FB ad, it seems to be a 'round ram' model similar to this:

256854d1558357585-value-bridgeport-round-ram-please-photo-3.jpg

My understanding is that the 'round ram' models arent as desireable as later dovetail turrets - they have potential twisting issues not all that different than RF-30/40 round posts (a twist in a different plane however). Its also going to date it to WWI or shortly after.

Thoughts?

Are you interested in the lathe or mill or both?

Are you interested in the lathe or mill or both
Only the BP. If I can negotiate a reasonable 'Calgary' price that takes into account having to get it out of the basement. I dont want to offend the seller, but 5k is very high considering its basement location and the fact that its a 'round ram'.

5K seems insanely high to me. Even by BC pricing standards.
I'd say so too. There may be a bunch of accessories to 'sweeten' the pot. Not sure.

Here's teh thing: its an estate sale. The seller seems to be the owners son and while he has an rough idea what these items are worth he's also indicated that the prices are negotiable given the basement situation.

If I was in his shoes and clearing out my dads estate I'd be trying to maximize the dollars coming from said estate too... Fact of life.

Perry

Ultra Member
I'd say so too. There may be a bunch of accessories to 'sweeten' the pot. Not sure.

Here's teh thing: its an estate sale. The seller seems to be the owners son and while he has an rough idea what these items are worth he's also indicated that the prices are negotiable given the basement situation.

If I was in his shoes and clearing out my dads estate I'd be trying to maximize the dollars coming from said estate too... Fact of life.
Unless probate has finished and he is clear to sell the house. The market is hot right now, but not too many need the Bridgeport appliances. He might come around to a reasonable price. Ask him if he is the executor of the estate.

Unless probate has finished and he is clear to sell the house. The market is hot right now, but not too many need the Bridgeport appliances. He might come around to a reasonable price. Ask him if he is the executor of the estate.
I would ever ask someone their business like that. If I can come to a arrangement with him on a reasonable price and removal circumstance for the BP then cool. Otherwise I'll walk away with zero issues.