• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Calgary & area meet up Spring 2026.

You don't like Canadian beer??
I don't like mainstream swill. Mainstream breweries have been incredibly effective convincing John Q Public that their horse piss is worth spending money on. It's not. They even go to extreme measures like Silver Bullet's little marker turning blue when the beer is cold enough. Know why? 'Cause it tastes like garbage at anything above about 35 degrees. Closer to zero it gets, the better it tastes. Most beers taste not bad when their served at or near freezing. However, that's hardly a temperature that highlights beer flavours. It's not the beer you're finding refreshing, it's the cold.

As to your observation about serving beer warm, some beers highlight their ingredients & flavours much better when served at 50 degrees or more. Usually big, bold stouts & the like.

The only Keith's I've ever had was their "IPA". Beer Advocate calls it a Blonde Ale. Compare it to any traditional British IPA & it's not close. Compare it to a bold, hoppy, bitter, piney North American West Coat IPA & it's not even in the same country. A fair mainstream beer? Sure.

Labatt 50 is, according to Beer Advocate, an American Blonde Ale. Try a craft Blonde & see the difference. They're world's apart. Molson Dry is an average lager, at best. Moosehead is a slightly better lager.
 
I don't like mainstream swill. Mainstream breweries have been incredibly effective convincing John Q Public that their horse piss is worth spending money on. It's not. They even go to extreme measures like Silver Bullet's little marker turning blue when the beer is cold enough. Know why? 'Cause it tastes like garbage at anything above about 35 degrees. Closer to zero it gets, the better it tastes. Most beers taste not bad when their served at or near freezing. However, that's hardly a temperature that highlights beer flavours. It's not the beer you're finding refreshing, it's the cold.

As to your observation about serving beer warm, some beers highlight their ingredients & flavours much better when served at 50 degrees or more. Usually big, bold stouts & the like.

The only Keith's I've ever had was their "IPA". Beer Advocate calls it a Blonde Ale. Compare it to any traditional British IPA & it's not close. Compare it to a bold, hoppy, bitter, piney North American West Coat IPA & it's not even in the same country. A fair mainstream beer? Sure.

Labatt 50 is, according to Beer Advocate, an American Blonde Ale. Try a craft Blonde & see the difference. They're world's apart. Molson Dry is an average lager, at best. Moosehead is a slightly better lager.
I disagree. 😉Mainstream beer does not taste like swill or garbage. Compared to good beer it simply lacks flavour! It seems that most people prefer the big mainstream stuff. I've been told by knowledgeable people that big breweries can breweries good beer but that is not what sells in volumes nor what is profitable. Apparently alot of the wort that is brewed by big brewers could make very good beer but then it gets mixed off with carbonated water to make the commercial stuff. I like good beer but I still prefer commercial beer over no beer, if that's the choice. Unfortunately my budget mostly dictates no beer or commercial "swill".
 
As to your observation about serving beer warm, some beers highlight their ingredients & flavours much better when served at 50 degrees or more. Usually big, bold stouts & the like.

The only Keith's I've ever had was their "IPA". Beer Advocate calls it a Blonde Ale. Compare it to any traditional British IPA & it's not close. Compare it to a bold, hoppy, bitter, piney North American West Coat IPA & it's not even in the same country. A fair mainstream beer? Sure.

Labatt 50 is, according to Beer Advocate, an American Blonde Ale. Try a craft Blonde & see the difference. They're world's apart. Molson Dry is an average lager, at best. Moosehead is a slightly better lager.
One place I worked kept beers in a garbage can to keep it incognito, for driving back from working out of town. Another guy I worked for would grab a case of beer and leave it in the bed of his pickup, in the summer it would get almost hot, to drink. That pretty much ruined it for me, never kept beer in the fridge after that

For more "craft beers", Fat Tire used to be good. It was a Belgian blonde. Dos Equis is good, and depending on where you go Leinenkugel or Yuengling are pretty good choices. Shiner Bock too. I haven't really tried much for Canadian craft beers, to be honest

I've brought home Natty Daddy for a friend a couple times, I refuse to try drinking that. It's like 8% and $7 for a six pack of tall boys 🙄
 
My bride actually likes picking rocks. She calls it "Squatts with Rocks". Costs waaaay less than a gymn membership.

And ya, definitely a good reason to be a spectator!
Squats the reason they discontinued Corduroy pants they’d rip nutsack to belt loop.
 
For more "craft beers", Fat Tire used to be good. It was a Belgian blonde. Dos Equis is good, and depending on where you go Leinenkugel or Yuengling are pretty good choices. Shiner Bock too. I haven't really tried much for Canadian craft beers, to be honest
Fat Tire us a good craft beer, from New Belgium in Fort Collins, Colorado. I've had it at the brewery. Dos Equis (2 X's) Amber, from Mexico is a decent lager, as well. I've had some Leinenkugel beers, my favorite was Sunset Wheat, it had a nice sweetness from spruce tips in it. Stopped supporting them when they sold out to the big guys. I've had Shiner Bock, good beer. Never had the opportunity to try anything from Yuengling. They're from the northeast, no exposure anywhere close.
 
Do we have a date yet for the meeting?
Not yet.


I’d be happy to host again - if no one else wants to, or we can not find a suitable, alternate location.

I will not know my May schedule until April. If I get a sense of what is happening at work and I see an available Saturday in May, I will post it here.

Thanks to everyone that already has offered their help and the early RSVP. We’ll start an official list once the date is confirmed.

Cheers, Rudy
 
Every meet up is something to look forward to, but I can't say if I could attend until the date is finalized.
 
I'm heading East at the end of April, depending on weather... I'd love to attend, but family stuff... I should be back mid- May.
 
I get it - they're going after the Colt 45 market.

You know, malt liquor has picked up a nasty connotation - mainly in the US - that it never had here. When I was in university Extra Old Stock was pretty much our go-to and didn't carry the "ghetto" rep. Wow... I had no idea they're still making it... wonder whether my slightly more developed palate would still like it?
 
Back
Top