Calgary & area meet up Spring 2024.

BaitMaster

Super User
@Bandit, @BaitMaster, you interested in tag-teaming?
Well, summer, or winter meet up I think I might try to attend the next… March/April meet up is a can’t do for me.

It would be nice to put faces to some of the names around here even if the names end up being prettier then the faces.

Reason being the name BaitMaster…. It’s bear baiting prep for me from March until camp is over in mid may. My poor machines will likely be unused for a few months unless it’s to make a quick repair on a piece of hunting related gear.

Sounds like a good time tho fellas. Thanks for the nudge @JustaDB FC81E753-1755-492D-8C0E-15B6C4ADBF5D.jpeg

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well, summer, or winter meet up I think I might try to attend the next… March/April meet up is a can’t do for me.

It would be nice to put faces to some of the names around here even if the names end up being prettier then the faces.

Reason being the name BaitMaster…. It’s bear baiting prep for me from March until camp is over in mid may. My poor machines will likely be unused for a few months unless it’s to make a quick repair on a piece of hunting related gear.

Sounds like a good time tho fellas. Thanks for the nudge @JustaDBView attachment 43717

Ok, where is this operation? I can't picture there being a lot of bears in southern AB.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We had 32 at the most recent HMEC meeting :) Pre-Covid I have seen 40-50 at times.

I think there are a lot of similarities, but the big difference is that modellers build models to be looked at, admired, and loved. The show and tell factor cannot be compared.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I can't picture there being a lot of bears in southern AB.
Lots in SW Alberta. Waterton, Castle area, Crowsnest Pass. Grizzlies & blackies. Went picking huckleberries two summers ago in Castle Mountain area, came across a beautiful sow grizzly w/ 2 cubs in a berry patch. I was about 60 feet away, my friend heard some rustling & looked up, was about 15 feet from a cub. She slowly backed away & we all watched from a safe distance for a while. They made their way to a small lake & went for a swim. The sow was on her back doing a float. Lots of idiots trying to get close for a photo.

Crosche

Super User
ok we have a location and food. We need some people to present. I think there are a few with watch maker lathes.

How about some demos and discussion?

Can somebody do a demo of finishing? Black oxide or other approaches?

I could do a Fusion 360 demo - but we would need a TV or screen or something. Ideas?

Chairs and tables... we had those but how did that happen?

I would like to volunteer and help with set-up / tear down and anything else. I have a large smoker, perhaps we could do pulled pork sandwiches???

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I could demonstrate the three different types if dividing: direct, indirect & differential.

We could also try out some different inserts on mild / SS steel (kind of what @Dabbler, @johnnielsen and I did preciously).

Or Metric threading on an imperial lathe.

Or multi-start threading.

Somebody here (me if I go) could do the same in Newmarket, if Modern agrees to host us and will let us use a lathe that is.

@thestelster and I were just talking about that lousy Indian test bar. That would also be a great discussion and demo item. Much to learn from that.

@CWret - things to think about.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I would like to volunteer and help with set-up / tear down and anything else. I have a large smoker, perhaps we could do pulled pork sandwiches???

nom nom, that would be good

i reached out to my brother in law who owns a smokehouse in invermere, he says 1 butt is good for 20 people, so you would need the ability to smoke 2 butts, or 3-4 shoulders (given that shoulders are typically smaller)

i do butts a couple times a year, might i suggest doing the butts in slow cookers, and beans on the smoker, its pretty stressful/difficult trying to time (and always going long) a butt for a hungry crowd. The slow cooker is much more consistent with the time, and is practically indistinguishable taste wise for pork on a bun

either way great idea!

Crosche

Super User
nom nom, that would be good

i reached out to my brother in law who owns a smokehouse in invermere, he says 1 butt is good for 20 people, so you would need the ability to smoke 2 butts, or 3-4 shoulders (given that shoulders are typically smaller)

i do butts a couple times a year, might i suggest doing the butts in slow cookers, and beans on the smoker, its pretty stressful/difficult trying to time (and always going long) a butt for a hungry crowd. The slow cooker is much more consistent with the time, and is practically indistinguishable taste wise for pork on a bun

either way great idea!

I was thinking that the pork butts would be smoked ahead of time, but a slow cooker would be great too. It all depends on interest and budget. Otherwise, it's Kool-aid and no name potato chips