• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Best Cutting Tools for Lathe Beginner

gerritv

Gerrit
@MrWhoopee I keep saying the same thing, hence my new avatar. Ppl seem to want to complicate the hobby level with industrial info. I have never been disappointed with AliExpress inserts after I started buying (apparent) name brand ones from DotStripe store. The only tool holder disappointments have happened with the MGEHR type cutoff holders, some are butter, some are solid. No way to tell in advance though :-(
I don't even bother buying inserts for Al, if the finish really matters I plunk in a new edge on a steel style insert.

I admire those who want to spend their time learning to grind drill and HSS cutters. To me it is a steep and long learning curve, with a lot of poor results until you get decent at it. Oversized wandering drill holes are a pain, esp in smaller sizes in work where you already have 10 hours into the part. Buy stub drills from KBC, 5 at a time for common sizes, use a drill sharpener (Drill Doctor 750) to touch them up when you have a bunch to sharpen)

(With my next allowance/pension cheque from UK I will be starting to stock up on carbide stub drills in metric tap/drill and clearance size, package of 10. < CA$12 per package from AliExpress of course).

gerrit

Last edited:

ChazzC

I go middle of the road:

I learned to grind HSS bits when I was introduced to machining 50 years ago, and did so when I started outfitting my basement shop 40 years later. Now I use what makes the most sense for the job at hand (but gave up on brazed carbide quickly).

While I occasionally use hand-ground (off-hand?) HSS bits, I mostly use HSS (T-15) inserts from A.R. Warner; but love the “Aluminum” inserts as well, and also Diamond Tool Holders with Crobalt bits.

The most important thing when using inserts is to get quality holders, particularly boring bars: quality holders will properly present the insert to the work and will be more rigid than cheap holders.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The most important thing when using inserts is to get quality holders, particularly boring bars: quality holders will properly present the insert to the work and will be more rigid than cheap holders.
This is a very good point. I once splurged on a Micro 100 insert tool holder and I was honestly stunned at the difference it made in back-to-back tests with the same insert.

ChazzC

This is a very good point. I once splurged on a Micro 100 insert tool holder and I was honestly stunned at the difference it made in back-to-back tests with the same insert.
Wait until you try a solid carbide boring bar with a steel insert holder brazed on the end. Stefan made his own (of course he did) but they are available from a number of sources - not cheap but make an amazing difference.

MrWhoopee

@MrWhoopee I keep saying the same thing, hence my new avatar. Ppl seem to want to complicate the hobby level with industrial info. I have never been disappointed with AliExpress inserts after I started buying (apparent) name brand ones from DotStripe store. The only tool holder disappointments have happened with the MGEHR type cutoff holders, some are butter, some are solid. No way to tell in advance though :-(
I don't even bother buying inserts for Al, if the finish really matters I plunk in a new edge on a steel style insert.

I admire those who want to spend their time learning to grind drill and HSS cutters. To me it is a steep and long learning curve, with a lot of poor results until you get decent at it. Oversized wandering drill holes are a pain, esp in smaller sizes in work where you already have 10 hours into the part. Buy stub drills from KBC, 5 at a time for common sizes, use a drill sharpener (Drill Doctor 750) to touch them up when you have a bunch to sharpen)

(With my next allowance/pension cheque from UK I will be starting to stock up on carbide stub drills in metric tap/drill and clearance size, package of 10. < CA$12 per package from AliExpress of course).

gerrit

I do sharpen my own drills, I had to learn how in school. Harry would take a 3/8 drill, knock the corners off, hand it to you and start his stopwatch. You had 2 minutes.

Every time I place an order with McMaster I include a few stub length drills in the most common tap drill sizes. I'm getting my carbide drills off AE, much cheaper. It's nice not getting flustered when a tap breaks, just grab a carbide drill and take it out.

Regarding the inserts off AE, I've been finding that the ones with the Nano Blue coating hold up very well. They're prettier than the gold ones too.

gerritv

Gerrit
3/8, sure give it a go, even 1/4". But I just chain drilled 4 1/2" series of 1.5mm holes in al/ci with no centre punching or spot drilling using 135dg split point drills. To me that and smaller is hobby stuff that is not going to get ground properly by hand (IMHO). Holes were on 1.6mm centres (using DRO), then cleared out using a Proxxon with an ancient dental burr. The tip has to correct or you are hooped. I'm 12 hours into the part, certainly not going to faff it up for the sake of a $1.50 drill bit from AE.

LH steam passage was with a mediocre drill, rh was with a proper one. slots are 1.5mm wide, 0.5" long, 0.031" from the edge.

IMG_20240508_142913 (Medium).jpg
gerrit

gerritv

Gerrit
Azzkor is one of the predictable/reputable stores that I use. 6 and 8mm 4 flutes for the win everytime. They chew through steel and bronze like butter.

kstrauss

I go middle of the road:

While I occasionally use hand-ground (off-hand?) HSS bits, I mostly use HSS (T-15) inserts from A.R. Warner; but love the “Aluminum” inserts as well, and also Diamond Tool Holders with Crobalt bits.
The A.R. Warner stuff is great. The only source that I've found is Little Machine Shop and they no longer have DCMW inserts. Where do you get your's and how much?

kstrauss

Wait until you try a solid carbide boring bar with a steel insert holder brazed on the end. Stefan made his own (of course he did) but they are available from a number of sources - not cheap but make an amazing difference.
Agreed much more rigid actually not too expensive. I've gotten mine for about $20 on eBay. The best are coolant thru (bore down the middle) ones. Using these with compressed air connected to the boring bar end does a wonderful job of clearing chips in a small but deep bore.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The A.R. Warner stuff is great. The only source that I've found is Little Machine Shop and they no longer have DCMW inserts. Where do you get your's and how much?

I have ordered direct from ARWarner many times.

Brownells also sells them. Don't even try to understand their nomenclature.

I have also noticed the odd HSS insert on Ali Express but have never ordered any.

Last edited:

Upnorth

Can you describe the results? I'm thinking about buying a few quality insert tool holders. I do the majority of my work with one holder so it's not going to break the bank to upgrade.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Can you describe the results? I'm thinking about buying a few quality insert tool holders. I do the majority of my work with one holder so it's not going to break the bank to upgrade.
Less chatter, greater DoC and overall better finish.

ChazzC

I buy direct from ARW, prices & selection here. You can purchase from the website, but I usually build a list and then give them a call: that way you can ask if they have something that they don’t list. However, last time I asked they didn’t have any DCMW - maybe if enough of us ask they’ll grind some for us.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
and also Diamond Tool Holders with Crobalt bits.
I had these recommended by several people, Blondihacks has been using them also.

Grinding the tools for them is very easy, only one surface needs to be ground and if you have the jig it’s essentially foolproof.

I don’t think there’s a simpler way than using the Diamond tool holders.

ChazzC

Agreed much more rigid actually not too expensive. I've gotten mine for about $20 on eBay. The best are coolant thru (bore down the middle) ones. Using these with compressed air connected to the boring bar end does a wonderful job of clearing chips in a small but deep bore.
I admit I also got mine on eBay, $18 for the 8mm (1 insert) and $40 for the 10mm (10 inserts):

20240509 CCMT Solid Cabide Boring Bars.JPEG
The 8mm bar (top) has a T-15 insert; the 10mm has carbide.

kstrauss

I buy direct from ARW, prices & selection here. You can purchase from the website, but I usually build a list and then give them a call: that way you can ask if they have something that they don’t list. However, last time I asked they didn’t have any DCMW - maybe if enough of us ask they’ll grind some for us.
How painful is shipping? Do they do US Mail?

The DCxx inserts allow one to get closer to a live centre than CCxx ones so they're often more convenient when facing the ends of stock. Also, their 55-degree angle is the same as Whitworth threads.