• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Anyone tried the Accusize 5C collet chuck?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I read somewhere that Lyndex outsourced some of its products including some collets, but I thought to somewhere in Asia. Maybe not necessarily bad but its all about QC behind the name. I would be shocked if they were made in India. You could call KBC or one of the Lyndex distributers & they could probably tell you country of origin. Now are there knockoff Lyndex on Ebay using the name, the price but not the quality? It would not surprise me.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes it's a D1-4. One of the earlier posted links was to a place that has the Bison plain back collet chuck for $500 US. I'm ok with that price. The set-tru version is only $50 more.

Caution. The Bison Set-Tru 5C chuck may cost slightly more than regular/Di-direct mount 5C, but you need to include the D1-4/Set-Tru ADAPTER in order to mount the ST chuck. They are specific parts & adds to total cost, I did see some Ebay deals on ST chucks (only) but the numbers didn't go round to buy adapter separately, more shipping etc. It was cheaper to buy the combo set.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Are you looking for a 5C chuck because you already have the collets?

Just going to throw this to you, have you thought about going ER40 for the lathe? I have a PM TruTurn style ER40 chuck and collets and am very happy with them.

Matt has an Ebay site (can't find it right now) that does away with all the shipping nonsense., not sure about this, I thought it was .ca.

Edit - here is the Ebay site for Matt,
https://www.ebay.com/str/qualitymachinetools

Last edited:

Upnorth

Caution. The Bison Set-Tru 5C chuck may cost slightly more than regular/Di-direct mount 5C, but you need to include the D1-4/Set-Tru ADAPTER in order to mount the ST chuck. They are specific parts & adds to total cost, I did see some Ebay deals on ST chucks (only) but the numbers didn't go round to buy adapter separately, more shipping etc. It was cheaper to buy the combo set.

Yeah I'm aware that the set-tru model needs a special adaptor. I think (but have not confirmed) that Shar's has a suitable back plate for about $100 USD. I did recently see a few of the correct Bison back plates on Ebay that were cheap and in Canada. That was before I decided to get a 5C chuck though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I thought Shars had a system too. Strange, when you type in 5c it shows in drop down but never really comes up. And the regular chucks all out of stock.

1671490083514.png

Upnorth

Are you looking for a 5C chuck because you already have the collets?

Just going to throw this to you, have you thought about going ER40 for the lathe? I have a PM TruTurn style ER40 chuck and collets and am very happy with them.

Matt has an Ebay site (can't find it right now) that does away with all the shipping nonsense., not sure about this, I thought it was .ca.

Edit - here is the Ebay site for Matt,
https://www.ebay.com/str/qualitymachinetools
I did consider getting an ER style collet chuck. I already have a few collets around that I use on one of my milling machines. ER-32. I am going with 5C because I already have the collets. I recently picked up a set of 1/16" to 1 1/8" by 16ths Lyndex 5C collets for $100. That made the 5C chuck my choice. The Bison 5C is for my manual lathe.

I may still go with one of the ER type chucks for the CNC lathe when I get that going. The mini Bison 5C that would be suitable for the CNC lathe is the 4" one which is pricey.

Upnorth

I thought Shars had a system too. Strange, when you type in 5c it shows in drop down but never really comes up. And the regular chucks all out of stock.

View attachment 29055
Here is a link to the back plate I was looking at.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Upnorth - Just a small reminder that my bison only has a few tenths runout WITHOUT the set true backplate right out of the box. Because of the precision nose, the D1 spindle series are totally capable of that. My D1-5 is awesome. If I were you, I'd be giving the non-set-tru version a try before I plunked down more cash than necessary.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My D1-4 spindle nose is ~ 0.0001" TIR & my D1-4 integrated Bison direct mount 5C collet chuck was ~ 0.0015" on its best pin orientation. Maybe a day after the Euro soccer match model, LOL. Sometimes mating runouts can serve to cancel against one another to a reduced net amount. But by the same probability they could also oppose one another & therefore exaggerate TIR. With a direct mount, you get what you get, that's the end of the trail. With a SetTru type system you have the ability to decrease. Bison rates all their 5C chucks 0.0004" TIR btw (including the SetTru) so my guess is the reference means repeatability of the collet seat as opposed to a mounted assembly like integrated spindle nose seat? Otherwise how could they similarly define TIR of a plain back or integrated screw back 5C for example which has higher potential mounting runout allowance? Its been a while since I looked but one of the other big name 5C chuck manufacturers had a different way of stating TIR but my memory is fading.

Of course, collets & everything else fore & aft of the chuck body within the lathe assembly can affect the bottom line outcome. What is necessary or affordable is a personal choice IMO.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-12-19 7.56.52 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-19 7.56.52 PM.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-2022-12-19 8.07.09 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-19 8.07.09 PM.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-2022-12-19 8.08.03 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-12-19 8.08.03 PM.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 0

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here's my 5" Bison Set Tru when it was on my Emco V10p. Was able to dial it in pretty close. If I was needing collets, I'd definitely want a set Tru type.

I made the set true backplate from an old pulley. When I transferred it to my new V13, i bought and modified a D1-4 backplate.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've seen different ideas for how folks have made their own adjustable fixtures for various chucks & work holder devices. Generally its a variation of:
- back end that fits the spindle
- some kind of slightly oversized recess pocket that encapsulates the chuck, or undersize boss that fits within the chuck recess
- 4 opposing set screws to dial it in radially, like a 4J chuck essentially
- provisions to laterally secure the chuck parallel to spindle axis

ER40 collet plate married to a beefy D1-4 adapter

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was not able to measure the spindle runout. I don't have anything precise enough, to be honest. The V10p was a threaded spindle with a locking collar. The V13 is a D1-4. The V13 results are similar. The threaded spindle of the V10p was remarkably repeatable, where the D1-4 actually takes a bit of care .

Forget the spindle though, that chuck is dead nuts on when you consider i was measuring 4-5"? out from the jaws. For that reason, for myself, I don't do enough multiple parts to really warrant a collet setup but if i did, I'd want a set tru for sure, no doubt.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
FWIW, I agree that the set tru approach is the more certain one. It is also the more expensive one.

If I could potentially save a few hundred by evaluating one or three D1-3 integrated collet chucks to find one that met my needs, I'd prolly go that way.

Hence my suggestion to buy via Amazon. The worst that can happen is that none of the ones you try work out. So you give up, they all get returned, and you end up having to spend the coin to go the set-tru route.

In the absence of cost concerns and/or with business time constraints, I'd go set tru right up front.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch are you sure everything on Amazon is free returns? That doesn't seem consistent with vendor/Amazon policy or experiences I have encountered or read about, particularly when they originate from China (which is by & large the remainder I see available outside of Accusize). Even where people have submitted pictures/video of issues the sellers often play the stall game or maybe offer to send a replacement at some token discount because shipping is expensive. The economics of holding a boat anchor don't go around, but that's just my opinion.

Sounds like Accusize will do this, although I'm not sure they will absorb cost of 3 in a row until you are satisfied.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
@Susquatch are you sure everything on Amazon is free returns? That doesn't seem consistent with vendor/Amazon policy or experiences I have encountered or read about, particularly when they originate from China (which is by & large the remainder I see available outside of Accusize). Even where people have submitted pictures/video of issues the sellers often play the stall game or maybe offer to send a replacement at some token discount because shipping is expensive. The economics of holding a boat anchor don't go around, but that's just my opinion.

Sounds like Accusize will do this, although I'm not sure they will absorb cost of 3 in a row until you are satisfied.

something to be mindful of, Amazon sometimes bans customers who have a high return rate. So be sure to not try this in short order with consecutive purchases.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch are you sure everything on Amazon is free returns? That doesn't seem consistent with vendor/Amazon policy or experiences I have encountered or read about, particularly when they originate from China (which is by & large the remainder I see available outside of Accusize).

Yes, that's an issue I had intended to address in my post and then forgot. I'm always trying to find ways to shorten my posts cuz they are usually far too long.

I have a prime membership. Living on a farm makes Amazon attractive. The prime membership saves a ton on shipping and also improves the return experience. Amazon has NEVER given me a problem on anything I bought through prime. But this is also why I prefer to buy from Amazon and then call Accusize to get a replacement or deal with an issue. It is important to deal with the real issue, not some baked up reason to return something. In this case, Accusize gives a precision rating on the collet chuck. So if it doesn't meet that claim Accusize actually prefers to deal with you direct. I think it saves them from getting a black mark from Amazon. In those few times when it happened, I have returned the same item to accusize multiple times. Usually, I give them the reason and they will check their inventory to find me a good one. On one occasion they even provided me with copies of their correspondence with their supplier and I pointed out how the supplier was screwing them. Accusize was exceptionally grateful for my help. I got good parts the next time.

I also understand that Amazon has toughened up their return policy just recently. Hence my earlier comment - no bullshite. If you are guilty of screwing up, fess up and bear the consequences. I believe Amazon respects that and it builds your reputation. On the other hand if you are constantly returning everything you buy, I'd fully expect to be building a bad reputation and eventually get the boot as @TorontoBuilder suggests.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have bought a huge amount of products from Amazon for my CNC router build and general shop stuff and returned a bunch as well. I have never been charged for a return and never had any issues because of high return rate.
I've also opened a number of tickets with them because something got delayed or mis-delivered. Basically I don't give them an inch of latitude since they have one of the largest (if not the largest) logistics chains in the world and have had years to sort out issues.