• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Angle grinders. Most dangerous tool in the shop?

Tool
Here is my video on angle grinders. Is it the most dangerous tool? This isn’t advice - just my observations. Use your own sense please and take care of yourself. What else should you be on the lookout for?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A young fellow (maybe 25) about 6 farms West of me had a grinding disk blow up on him a few years ago. He lost some fingers despite wearing work gloves and messed up his face pretty badly. Fortunately he was wearing eye protection so he didn't lose any vision.

I have no idea what he was doing.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’m thinking about getting another angle grinder, and this thread has got me thinking I should spend the extra $150 for one with a break and kickback protection.

I’ve not had an accident with an angle grinder (apart from setting my coveralls on fire…), but I can see that things can go wrong in a split second.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Here is my video on angle grinders. Is it the most dangerous tool? This isn’t advice - just my observations. Use your own sense please and take care of yourself. What else should you be on the lookout for?

Lock switches are terrible, especially if you have others who use your tools and rather than turn off the grinder pull the plug to kill the grinder.

My brother loaned his friend (no not me) one of his grinders. My brother had the grinder sitting on the floor of the shop, didn't check the switch and plugged it in. The grinder wheel caused the grinder to shoot a few feet to where brother was, gashed the hell out of his foot and shin.

The killer was brother never notice right away how bad the gash was because of neuropathy

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Most dangerous tool in the shop? The humble drill press.

How many times do you hold the work on the table with your hand, to find the work catches and spins?

Use a proper table and clamps!!!!!!!
Drill press table.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Buzz saw... without a doubt

buzz+saw.jpeg

Tom O

Ultra Member
That must be Penelope’s stand in now we just have to wait for Dudley Doright to save the day!
Blondiehacks has a good video on making a drill press clamp.