• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Angle grinders. Most dangerous tool in the shop?

Tool
Here is my video on angle grinders. Is it the most dangerous tool? This isn’t advice - just my observations. Use your own sense please and take care of yourself. What else should you be on the lookout for?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Which is why, regardless of the extra cost (which isn't much for the home gamer), I use flap wheels instead of grinding discs. They're so much less likely to explode.
True that the flap wheels are much less prone to gernading and causing harm, but I have never found any that are nearly as aggressive or long lasting as the grinding disc's are. Are they out there?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
True that the flap wheels are much less prone to gernading and causing harm, but I have never found any that are nearly as aggressive or long lasting as the grinding disc's are. Are they out there?

A 40 or 60 grit on my 7" grinder just removes an insane amount of material. Most of the time though, on the 4.5" I'm just using it for welding prep or clean up or deburring or whatnot, so the slower/smoother material removal in those cases is welcome. I find they don't gouge into the material like a grinding disk does. As for long lasting, I haven't noticed any difference in lifetime.

I'm mostly using Dewalt wheels though, typically $5-10/each.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Fantastic addition to this thread. Thank you @CWret .

img-7054-jpg.23174

PowderPig

I cut my index finger almost to the bone the other day using an angle grinder with a zip cut disc. I always use gloves when using an angle grinder but this day I didn't because I didn't take the time to locate them. I figured, what the heck, it's only a very small job that would take a minute to complete. That's when stupid s**t happens, and it did.

As my father used to say; "Power tools are a very good servant but a cruel teacher".

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
WARNING: The following procedures can be hazardous to your health!

So a little while ago I needed to change the lower ball joints on my Silverado 1500. The drivers side came out without too much effort. The passenger side was a different story: penatrating fluid; heat; 3lb sledge; smoke, stench, noise...repeat....I'm sure the neighbors were not happy. I was not happy!! I spent hours trying everything. I finally decided to cut it out. No room for a hack saw, or Sawzall. Ok.....angle grinder. But my angle grinder is only a 4 1/2", and not deep enough. I wasn't going to spend several hundred dollars on a 7", so the next best thing......buy a 7" cut-off disc, remove the guard on my small angle grinder, attach the 7". Yup...that should do it. Of course your knuckles are pretty close to the blade. Face shield...check. Should I wear gloves? Difficult to hold on as well as operate the switch, but let's not take any chances. I have to of course secure the trucks whole knuckle with wire so once the ball joint stem is cut, it won't drop down onto the saw disc, pinching it, breaking, or cause all sorts of havoc and destruction. I go tell Suzanne what I'm up to, and tells me to be careful...I tell her to get 911 on speed dial!

Ok, here we go....rotational speed is near the max for the cut off disc, and a little (very) out of balance, but it's working well enough....sparks flying everywhere, including onto the face shield and preventing me from seeing...stop have a look, continue...oops little bits of cotton fluff from the gloves go flying off....ok, reposition. Continue....tada!! Did it. I go tell Suzanne I'm alive and well and no need to call the paramedics..."that's nice dear", she says.

Attachments

• 20220917_172729.jpg
    20220917_172729.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220917_173108.jpg
    20220917_173108.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220917_174813.jpg
    20220917_174813.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220917_174911.jpg
    20220917_174911.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220917_175323.jpg
    20220917_175323.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220917_180246.jpg
    20220917_180246.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 12

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Continue....tada!! Did it. I go tell Suzanne I'm alive and well and no need to call the paramedics..."that's nice dear", she says.
I don’t like it when my wife is watching me do dangerous things, however I do have to admit that she has saved me from myself more than once…

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
When you say "heat" do you mean a little baby propane torch? Or an oxy-fuel?

I can think of a few better ways to get a ball joint apart than cutting it with a janky setup like that. Also, you either have a slow RPM grinder or found a unicorn high RPM disc, because typically 7" discs are sub 8-9k rpm and 4.5" grinders are usually 9-12k rpm.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When you say "heat" do you mean a little baby propane torch? Or an oxy-fuel?

I can think of a few better ways to get a ball joint apart than cutting it with a janky setup like that. Also, you either have a slow RPM grinder or found a unicorn high RPM disc, because typically 7" discs are sub 8-9k rpm and 4.5" grinders are usually 9-12k rpm.
Heat was only MAAP. I don't have oxy/acetylene.

Janky?...absolutely!! The Bosch grinder is 11,000rpm, the disc says 8450 max.

Crankit

About 20 years ago I was passing through the ER dept and there was a Pt laying in a bed with a 3-4" open gaping wound to the abdomen, I asked what the heck happened and Pt was telling me that a grinding disk broke and got them in the belly. Luckily it only went only as deep as the muscle, any deeper and it could have been life threatening. Guards and leather aprons will be appreciated when accidents happen.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Heat was only MAAP. I don't have oxy/acetylene.

Janky?...absolutely!! The Bosch grinder is 11,000rpm, the disc says 8450 max.
The fluff coming off your gloves must have woooed the grinder down below 8450. I'm somewhat of a redneck myself so can't say I haven't put larger cutoff wheels on my 4.5 inch grinder either.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Yes. I have no reservations admitting that it was unsafe and dangerous. I'm not remotely suggesting that anyone should attempt anything so foolhardy. I merely wanted to agree with Janger, that the angle grinder can be one of the more dangerous tools.

Sounds to me like the user is more dangerous than the tool itself lol

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Sounds to me like the user is more dangerous than the tool itself lol
Nah, he just pulled off the maximum use out of his bosch grinder. The bosch angle grinder has the angled handle for these predicaments.

No but seriously. We all know angle grinders can tear you up in a split second without a doubt.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
someone putting a 7" on a 5" grinder isnt actually that uncommon, there are guys that exclusively run 7s on a 5, i have even seen a guard extended to cover a 7" disc

sometimes thats the only thing that will work.....however i am not a fan of the practice, and something that should be avoided as its not even one bit safe....maximum ppe for sure

has anyone here used a 9" disc.....7" grinders used to come with 7" and 9" guards for 7" and 9" grinding discs........maximum helicopter effect.....hold on