• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Angle grinders. Most dangerous tool in the shop?

Tool
Here is my video on angle grinders. Is it the most dangerous tool? This isn’t advice - just my observations. Use your own sense please and take care of yourself. What else should you be on the lookout for?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good reminders. Yes angle grinders can certainly be dangerous. One of the the other most important thing that can make them dangerous is HOW they are used, particularly with cut off wheels. Then there is the chainsaw blade which is another level of dangerous that probably is only for the wood workers.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've got an addition which I forgot to talk about. See the big loose wheel in the foreground? That's too big for my grinders and does not fit the guard. I used it anyway and that is when I got the thumb strike requiring stitches. I turned it off and let go of the secondary handle - while spinning down it brushed my thumb.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Good reminders. Yes angle grinders can certainly be dangerous. One of the the other most important thing that can make them dangerous is HOW they are used, particularly with cut off wheels
The biggest thing with zip discs is not to force them. Just let them cut. I prefer the style with the raised centre, it kicks it 1/2-3/4” away from the grinder, compared to the flat ones. There’s different zip discs for aluminum too

I prefer a big 5” dewalt grinder with a 7” zip disc. Really let’s you go to town :D

I’d recommend adding gloves to the safety list, if I’m doing a lot I’ll grab the cutting torch gloves, they have a nice long cuff. (if you mentioned gloves I didn’t catch it, and I didn’t see any on the table)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

For metal fab I prefer this style with a flap disc. There isn’t the same lag waiting for an electric grinder to stop before setting it down, and the angle is comfortable. For cleaning up cut edges or smoothing welds it works great. It’s also a lot lighter than an electric grinder, and only requires one hand.

Gearhead88

Super User

For metal fab I prefer this style with a flap disc. There isn’t the same lag waiting for an electric grinder to stop before setting it down, and the angle is comfortable. For cleaning up cut edges or smoothing welds it works great. It’s also a lot lighter than an electric grinder, and only requires one hand.
I have one of those & never thought to try a flap wheel on it , it seems like a good idea , as long as the speed rating of the disc is in the same range as the tool

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Popular Mechanics take on the top 5 most dangerous DIY tools.
Table saws, nail guns, chain saws, ladders, circular saws. Some other site listed ladders as the most common cause of injuries.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
my machining mentor gave me some advice many years ago:

everything you’ll work on will be heavy, sharp, hot, or some combination of these three.

Any tool that can plow a 1/2” hole through a block of steel won’t even notice your thumb

DHHok

Then there is the chainsaw blade which is another level of dangerous that probably is only for the wood workers.
I can't bring myself to use one of those, simply because I know how careless I am. The guard is the first thing to go on my grinders and I'm a poor example for the use of safety gloves. My hands always have at least one cut finger from a zip blade. I know if I used a chain saw blade, I'd be missing the finger. :eek:
I may be unsafe, but there is some limitation to my stupidity.

Everett

Super User
Personally I think I'm the most dangerous tool in my shop . . .

On a more serious note I worked in one shop where all the shop angle grinders had the guards ripped off as they were a "nuisance." I refused to use them so bought 2 for myself, one for grinding discs and one with flapper discs.

Worst I ever saw was a buddy's angle grinder, with an oversize zip disc, and the switch was broken on it. He made me nervous using it nearby. Oh, and ironically he was a millwright . . . Surprised me to see him using that grinder like that.

Gearhead88

Super User
Personally I think I'm the most dangerous tool in my shop . . .

On a more serious note I worked in one shop where all the shop angle grinders had the guards ripped off as they were a "nuisance." I refused to use them so bought 2 for myself, one for grinding discs and one with flapper discs.

Worst I ever saw was a buddy's angle grinder, with an oversize zip disc, and the switch was broken on it. He made me nervous using it nearby. Oh, and ironically he was a millwright . . . Surprised me to see him using that grinder like that.
A millwright , say no more ………… just kidding . The code of the mill right goes like this ……… If it jambs , force it , if it breaks , it needed replacing anyways.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
A millwright , say no more ………… just kidding . The code of the mill right goes like this ……… If it jambs , force it , if it breaks , it needed replacing anyways.
Don’t pick on millwrights, some of them are geniuses. Last week I saw this:
leaking flanged pipe connection. Couldn’t shut down the line to repair, lost production at a pulp mill is $1m per day.

M/W:
> found a wheelbarrow
> removed the tire
> cut the tire across the tread so he could slide at around the flange
> used a ratchet strap to cinch the tire down around the flanged joint

Problem solved, leak slowed down enough to make it the next shift’s problem

Gearhead88

Super User
Don’t pick on millwrights, some of them are geniuses. Last week I saw this:
leaking flanged pipe connection. Couldn’t shut down the line to repair, lost production at a pulp mill is $1m per day.

M/W:
> found a wheelbarrow
> removed the tire
> cut the tire across the tread so he could slide at around the flange
> used a ratchet strap to cinch the tire down around the flanged joint

Problem solved, leak slowed down enough to make it the next shift’s problem
I See , the genius part wasn’t necessarily the high tech fix , it was the let the next shift deal with it part.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is my video on angle grinders. Is it the most dangerous tool? This isn’t advice - just my observations. Use your own sense please and take care of yourself. What else should you be on the lookout for?

Thanks for this John.
I have a Bosch angle grinder just like that and pretty much hate it for all of the reasons you describe. My other is a Makita with rat tail but the blade guard is broken and NLA. So it's a non-starter.

You forget some of the other things that are dangerous.

Loose gloves....
Loose clothing.....
Jewelry (rings and bracelets).....

Any one of these are a snag and tear off or pull in risk.

While these don't seem obvious they are likely more dangerous on a risk basis than grinders.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
How many people have taken a face full of grit because they inverted the grinder to get at an odd angle..... happens a lot more than people think

Regarding the larger disc in your video, the one with the orange plastic pre threaded center...... I’ve only used that kind once and I had a disc failure and it came apart in pieces. Was never sure if that type is just screwed on with no backing plate or if I forgot a washer or bushing etc. What is your experience with those?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That one seems to have a plastic backing plate. It also has a warning to always use a backing plate. I only used it the one time and went to the clinic. I have not used it since!

By the way several years back there was a recall on grinding disc's by one manufacturer sold under various labels (some brand name). Keep that it in mind when using discs, they behave funny consider it might be one of them and do a search.