• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9" SM Utilathe Restoration

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Which line are you trying to spilt it at? Red arrow or green?

View attachment 18284

Looking into the bore from the front / back, do you see a step? If there is a step, you might be able to use an aluminum or brass drift and a hammer as a persuader to help it separate.

My guess is there is corrosion or just old, dried gunk holding it together.

Red arrow, there is no seam at the green arrow. You're probably right about it just being corroded on. @Brent H said it was a rust fur ball when he took possession of it.

Hmmm.... hang on here. Maybe there is a seam at the green arrow. That would explain why it wouldn't tap off.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Roger.

They can take quite the hits to get them apart. If you don’t like metal on metal, use a piece of hardwood.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just checked the bolt circle diameter on mine. It is about 2.7”
Really? Mine is very close to 4". Guess a back plate swap won't work then.

Both chucks are out. Should be 3.74" for a 6" 4J.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
4J.JPG

@Johnwa That 4J just spun on my lathe no problem, no modification required. Thanks for swapping chucks with me. Now I can cut threads running the lathe in reverse:)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I find it way quicker to thread using the dial.

I use the threading dial all the time, I just want to thread away from the headstock. I find threading toward the headstock way too unnerving LOL.

Did my 4J mount on your machine ok?

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I use the threading dial all the time, I just want to thread away from the headstock. I find threading toward the headstock way too unnerving LOL.

Did my 4J mount on your machine ok?

That makes sense.
The 4jaw doesn’t screw on. My measurement of the bore on the crack plate is 1.495” and my spindle measures 1.503. I will have to bore a few thou out of the backplate.
I’ve taken the chuck apart. The backplate just popped out..

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That makes sense.
The 4jaw doesn’t screw on. My measurement of the bore on the crack plate is 1.495” and my spindle measures 1.503. I will have to bore a few thou out of the backplate.
I’ve taken the chuck apart. The backplate just popped out..

You got that back plate off:confused: It wasn't going to come off for me without beating on it. Did you remove the jaws or anything like that? As I said I have another 4J with backplate inbound from @140mower. You want to wait and see what that one measures?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Well I did use a hammer. Only 1 vigorous tap and it came apart.
I’m not in a rush, I’ll have to be in the right mind set before I attempt to bore it out.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well I did use a hammer. Only 1 vigorous tap and it came apart.
I’m not in a rush, I’ll have to be in the right mind set before I attempt to bore it out.

This chuck is from @140mower 's SB stash. Maybe they are a little bigger in the BP recessed area? What machine are you attempting to mount it on?