• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9" SM Utilathe Restoration

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey YYC,

I forgot to write down the tracking number - back at work....Hopefully you get that package by the end of the week - Monday at the latest!

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Hello YYC,

I have never dealt with brass yet either, but from what I have heard it is grabby unless you have the correct grind on the drill bits that you are using on it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So when the brass sleeve I was making grabbed the drill bit the chuck taper slipped.

ChuckTaper2.JPG

The taper galled and chewed up the tail stock spindle bore AGAIN. I guess new chuck tapers are in order.

I reamed out the spindle damage and trimmed it back again.

Having reamed, cut, and turned that spindle twice now I'm convinced that it's made of cast iron. The swarf produced sure looks like what you get when drilling cast iron.

Are these things typically made of cast iron? Seems kind of soft for this kind of application.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When drilling very soft things such as brass or copper, you have to take a stone and 'file' the cutting edge to something near 90 degrees. Goes for milling cutters too. I've seen a 3/4 HSS milling cutter dragged out of an R8 collet and break the cutter!

Attachments

• Stoning a drill for brass.PNG
    Stoning a drill for brass.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Any idea what a MS2 taper is? The tail flat on this taper BB sold me is stamped MS2/JT33.

MS2Taper.JPG

It's 0.66" at the large end and 0.59" at the small end, over a span of 2.5".

MT2 is 0.70 to 0.572 over 2.56"

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is not so much the actual length that has to be precise but the angle for proper engagement with width smaller then max (or it sticks out) and equal or bigger then the min (or it will just not engage).

It happens that some Chinese stuff is not up to spec on the angles and concentricity.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
MS2 is a legit taper; it was used in Britian until the MT took over the world, and before R8 was well known. I remember seeing it in Machinery's handbook years ago.

trlvn

Ultra Member
MS2 is a legit taper; it was used in Britian until the MT took over the world, and before R8 was well known. I remember seeing it in Machinery's handbook years ago.

I did a little searching and found some stuff like this:

https://www.banggood.com/MACHIFIT-M...-Cutter-Arbor-p-1596336.html?cur_warehouse=CN

It says the outside diameter is 22 mm (0.87 inches) and seems to be referred to as MS-22. I take it that there are other sizes? I couldn't find anything like a specification of the MS tapers or a chart with common sizes. Anybody?

The measurements that YYC quoted (0.66" to 0.59") equate to 16.75mm and 14.99mm. Does that mean he has an "MS-16.75" taper? That doesn't exactly roll off the tongue!

Craig T

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Worked on that replacement tailstock spindle Brent H sent me today.

SLOTMACHINE1.JPG

Can't believe I managed to mill the 1/8" slot in it without toasting the end mill.

SLOTMACHINE2.JPG
Was a lot of passes at 0.005 per pass and a very slow feed rate. I'm running a mini-mill and I really don't think I could have accomplished it without a DRO.

71%.JPG

Ended up the center hole in this brass sleeve I salvaged from the propane valve wasn't quite concentric with the OD.
I should have realized that would happen. Live and Learn

BRASSPLUG.JPG

So the threaded sleeve I press fit to the spindle is a wee bit off, but, it doesn't appear to affect function.

I might re-do this part should I ever come across a suitable piece of brass. A better approach would have been to fit a solid plug to the spindle and then drill it with the spindle cucked in the lathe.

NEWSPINDLE.JPG

So now I have a nice new 4140 tailstock spindle that fits the tailstock better than the original by a long shot.

THANKS Brent!!!!

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Cool beans brother!

Glad it worked out! You may need to add a tap of the mallet to set the taper so things don't spin - the harder material seems to need a bit of a tap - so great you could turn that project into a winner! After I made it a bit small for my tail stock it was sort of in limbo.

Once I see how milling in the indexing goes I will send you some pics! Starting on parts and pieces for the steady and follow rest.......

Woo hoo!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
HeadStockPulley.JPG

This headstock drive pulley keeps migrating away from the headstock. I diligently check the pulley lock screws to make sure they are tight, but it still moves. Today I found the pulley had migrated a good 1/4" (away from the headstock) from what I consider to be where it should be. Is this the drive belt system's way of telling me that it's out of alignment and where it settles is where it should be?

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Did you at any point remove the pulley to see if the spindle has a set for a screw? Does it make an unpleasant noise when out of alignment? Could you put in or create a narrower “set” for a set screw?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did you at any point remove the pulley to see if the spindle has a set for a screw? Does it make an unpleasant noise when out of alignment? Could you put in or create a narrower “set” for a set screw?

"a set for a screw"? What is that?

"noise when out of alignment" Not really, seems to run smoother when in the position I think it should be in.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How does the pulley bore compare in size to the shaft? The set screw may be lifting the pulley off the shaft (because its bore is too large) and then you have the pulley ”walking” on the shaft. Joe Pie talks about that phenomenon wrt parts walking right out of a chuck. You can actually try this yourself: lightly clamp a tapered part into the 3J and wiggle it in a circular motion; you can get it to come right out of the chuck without ever undoing it.

Remedy of a oversized / tapered pulley bore would be to sleeve it for a tight sliding fit.

a set for a screw"? What is that?

I believe what Bofobo means is a dimple (or small flat) in the shaft that the point of the set screw can sit in. It stops axial movement and also makes it easy to take the pulley off because there is not raised burr.